• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Best EMP survival vehicle

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve heard that most pre 1980 vehicles lack the sophisticated computer devices that would be easily destroyed by an EMP blast. Anyone got suggestions as to which pre 1980 vehicle would be best suited? Perhaps some of you already have such a vehicle?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
1970 Dodge or Plymouth with a slant 6. Have a spare ballast resistor and voltage regulator and you will run forever.:clap:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How about an old JEEPSTER :flowers:

a1.jpg

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My Specialized Mountain Bike will get me everywhere I would need to go in the event of a EMP. Where are you going to drive to? All the intersections will be blocked by dead cars and trucks.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
To be sure any thing with a diesel pump and minimal electric (read farm tractor) old truck with a Detroit 6-71 diesel they wont stop till you shut off the air or fuel after it is started if all the electric fails would be my choice.

fuel doesn't go bad like gas nowadays too!!!!!

tom

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would buy a Jeep CJ model for a doomsday vehicle. Preferably a 5 with a hardtop.

I would agree, however. that a all terrain bike would be a better bet.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
. Anyone got suggestions as to which pre 1980 vehicle would be best suited? Perhaps some of you already have such a vehicle?

:biggrin:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSsuohepbVk"]Mr. Ed theme song w/ lyrics - YouTube[/ame]

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
if you guys are going to burn gas any things with a point type ignition if you need a newer vehicle all the diesels with mechanical pumps and manual transmission remember the alternator will be shot to hell so maybe look to find a generator or get a surplus military humvee or a duce they are all nuc hardened

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
late 70's early 80s stick shift Benz diesel.

Needs no electric at all to run and it can be push started.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I’ve heard that most pre 1980 vehicles lack the sophisticated computer devices that would be easily destroyed by an EMP blast. Anyone got suggestions as to which pre 1980 vehicle would be best suited? Perhaps some of you already have such a vehicle?

My 1974 Case dozer and,,,,,my 1937 FordFerguson 9N tractor.

The case has a bullet proof blade and the Ford will run on 55 octane gasoline.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
never looked at it this way an st-4 snow trac it has a generator and can be hand stared uses a simple air cooled motor and points also not verry picky about fuel can be run in all weather conditions next thing is what are you going to do about communications best break out them vaccuum tube radios again

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Could try either of these..............The Scammell has a generator on the back, so could be handy for lighting etc.

Attachments

• WILL 4.JPG
    WILL 4.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1,347
  • Lady Rose 2.jpg
    Lady Rose 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,373

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
It is kind of irritating aint it. :whistling: In GW's words "Mission accomplished". :biggrin:

First, I agree with your transportation idea, although a couple of mules might be better in the long term.

About that avatar: it isn't all that horrific, but I do have a question - since we NEVER put a finger on the trigger until ready to shoot, did the person snapping the picture manage to duck in time? :yum::yum::brows::yum:

Tweeker

Modified 1979 Toyota FJ40 landcruiser.
I redid all of the electronics to meet EMP shielded specifications.
Tweeker

Attachments

• 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,199

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice, but here's the problem. No protection and it needs to run on diesel. But tell me, what did you do to "rebuild the electronics" to meet EMP shielded specifications?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
They barely ran when they were new! You really want an old manual rack diesel with no electronic BS.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If they built the original beetles today I would buy one. they were simple and reliable cheap vehicles.

Tweeker

Nice, but here's the problem. No protection and it needs to run on diesel. But tell me, what did you do to "rebuild the electronics" to meet EMP shielded specifications?

All wiring has been replaced with shielded cable.
All through the firewall connections are Mil spec connectors.
the emissions computor is housed in an EMP metal enclosure.
the 12 volt ground is now a dedicated line omitting the through frame return.
the engine run electrical is dedicated and redundant.
300 amp mean green alternator elliminates the need for a voltage regulator.
All fuses have been replaced with aircraft grade circuit breakers..
I tested this in the field of an antenna transmitter sweeping from 50MHz to 9.6GHZ and monitored the received RF on the 12 volt buss, battery disconnected of course.
The received RF energy was only .4 microwatts.
Tweeker
P.S. this one runs on the 2F inline 6 gas and carburated.

Last edited:

Tweeker

You are right about the lack of protection, especially here in California where the freeway shootings are a common occurance.
But this vehicle can go almost anywhere, at least where no gang banger vehicle can go. If we need to bug out its just what she can carry and off to the Mojave desert.
Also running twin 14 gal fuel tanks.
Tweeker

Last edited: