• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

License plate screws are STUCK

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got my new license plate and the old one is stuck because I can't back out the screws :neutral:

Naturally its on the wife's car so I told her to stick the plate in the window for a while. Too darn cold to mess with it.

But I have 2 options, looking for votes on the best choice.

1 - Heat the offending screws with a torch and a pin-point flame, then try to break them free. It if works, its the easier & less time consuming option.
2 - Drill into them then back them out with an "easy out"

What say you all?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
3. Penetrating oil then screw driver as you try backing it out hit the screw driver with a hammer. If not then go to 2, if not then 3.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Are they in the nylon blocks or metal to metal? I would grab the heads with a vise grip and turn them out. Do you have an impact srewdriver?

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
Most of the newer cars seem to have the plastic treaded inserts which might be a problem with heating. I agree that perhaps a penetrating oil might do it.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW I am GUESSING that it is a metal to metal corrosion problem. Its been 3 or 4 years since the license plate was changed (we put "date" stickers on them, then change the plates after several years).

3. Penetrating oil then screw driver as you try backing it out hit the screw driver with a hammer. If not then go to 2, if not then 3.
Already tried this.

Kane

How come the easy jobs always turn out to be a major operation? I bet you thought you'd go out there in the freezing cold, Melensdad, and have it all done and Mamma happy in about five minutes. Now look at the mess you've made, as Ollie would say.

luv2weld

SUPER Site Supporter
Make your own penetrating oil. Better than anything you can buy. I've tried them all side by side.-----50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone
Put in a squirt can. Shake to mix then squirt. Apply to screw,let it sit for 30 minutes. Then squirt again. Can also use medicine dropper if you don't like the overflow from squirting.
Then use impact driver. You can use manual, like this---http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Grade-19620-2-Inch-Driver-Impact/dp/B002O16UPM/ref=sr_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1328979855&sr=1-9
Or battery powered if you have one----http://www.amazon.com/Makita-Bare-Tool-BTD141Z-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B001DISXWU/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1328979855&sr=1-2

If screw doesn't break free, repeat soaking in penetrating oil. Remember to give it time to soak in and penetrate the length of the threads.

Ralph

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
4 inch grinder and the screw head is gone in a few seconds. Then take a punch and a BFH and the remnants come out. Go to autozone and get new nylon inserts and screws.:whistling:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Attach new plate over old plate with double sided tape. Go have a beer.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob the best penitrating oil i have found is dot3 brake fluid you live where the roads ar salted so my guess the exposed part of the screw behind the bumper is about twice the size so you may need to use the grinder and bfh trick instead of new plastic inserts i would use nyloc nuts and bolts so the next time you have to remove it you just have to use the grinder

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Had you tried actually using a screw driver instead of a dime to remove them ???:yum::yum::yum::unsure::flowers:

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
If all else fails, drill them out and replace with slightly larger screws, if necessary

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Bet the plate expired the end of January and you waited till it was COLD outside to do it. Time to clear out some garage space and work inside.:whistling: When you get that done you can come fix my gas line leak on the pickup. Salamander heaters and a full tank are not a good combo to work together in the barn.:hammer:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Kroil. Let it sit for awhile. It WILL come loose.

Next time, do what I do and instead of using something with a phillips head, mount with something with a hex head you can get a ratchet on.