• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

2013 Mercedes Bends - SL500

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
You wanna wake up the 32 AMG engine? Dump the OEM intercooler pump, and buy a Johnson. On ebay maybe 150 bucks.

Next step would be to install a separate intercooler radiator. Go to any AMG forum, and they'll tell you exactly what to buy. With the pump, the radiator, and hoses, maybe 500 bucks, but big horsepower gains if you like to drive hard.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
That Aero Blue SRT is a great color. A perfect fit for mother.

Yes it fits her well. Her SRT is, as you know, Supercharged and she beats my butt bad racing home from work. So I'm always following her home. That's OK I like looking at her ass.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
You wanna wake up the 32 AMG engine? Dump the OEM intercooler pump, and buy a Johnson. On ebay maybe 150 bucks.

Next step would be to install a separate intercooler radiator. Go to any AMG forum, and they'll tell you exactly what to buy. With the pump, the radiator, and hoses, maybe 500 bucks, but big horsepower gains if you like to drive hard.

Yes, good mods.

Also,,,,

Put a twin CAI on the intake and then lay a code three pulley on the compressor. Have a good tuner like Eurocharged give it a performance ( or a dyno) tune.

Stock, the engine is 330 HP. When we got done it was at 420HP. I had to detune it to 400HP because we could not keep the rear tires on the car.

12 second car easy.

Both the AMG 32 and the NA 32 engine can be boosted 25% or more with simple mods. Intake, exhaust and dyno tune, I am pushing 295 HP on the NA engine. Less than $1500 bucks.

Milage went up in both cars after the mods. I get close to 30 in the Vert.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
At the spring Dragon, Kim Possible,who you know is inthe business, said that our cars have leveled off and will no longer depreciate. Also, they have "classic staus now, Officialy from some of the insurance companies.

I suspect an SRT will likely fetch twice that in 10 to 15 years. Verts are already in the low twenties again. I really wish I had bought Rudy's when I had the chance.

Sorry about snatching the thread, But this is about Benzes right?

I bought mine right when the prices hit rock bottom. September of 2010. If I am remembering correctly, Rudy's was a real nice one. I am sure you regret not picking his up. Live and learn.

It would take a fat check to make me part with mine. Only 17K on the clock for an 05. She doesn't even get driven in the rain. :smile:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought mine right when the prices hit rock bottom. September of 2010. If I am remembering correctly, Rudy's was a real nice one. I am sure you regret not picking his up. Live and learn.

It would take a fat check to make me part with mine. Only 17K on the clock for an 05. She doesn't even get driven in the rain. :smile:

Yeah. Rudy wanted $17,000 for an SRT with all his neat little toys.

The one that got away for sure.

But, I like rowing gears so the NA I have is just fine.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yeah. Rudy wanted $17,000 for an SRT with all his neat little toys.

The one that got away for sure.

But, I like rowing gears so the NA I have is just fine.

That was a sweet xfire indeed. He had it set up to the nines. Good price too.

I forgot the SRT's are automatic only. I know you are a stick guy. "Roadster with a stick" as I recall. :biggrin:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Isn't that a turbo?

Yes. 86 and 87 were the diesel turbo's

Rather quick for diesels at the time.

Top of the line flagship S body Benz getting 24 MPG on $0.99 cent fuel.

Great traveling salesman's car. I put 160K on the clock and sold the car, still running at 400,000 miles.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, if you do get it, I have some Bosch FI manuals digital somewhere on my harddrive.
Still high bidder. :biggrin: Reserve hasn't been met but it won't be the first time I got in under the reserve. I'll go a little higher, mostly because I like the black on black. But any more than 11K and they're asking to much. It's the milage that's killing this car for the higher money.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, the sl is a 107. The next model was a 129.
The 126 was the big S car.

But most of the parts all interchanged. The beauty of a Benz. It's amazing the parts that continue to be used. My 01 210 has some parts starting with 116 - a 116 was the predecessor to the 126, last US year 1981.

The Benz part numbering system all start with the first model the part was used on.

I had a 82 300SD. Talk about a bullet proof ride. I still love the way those 617 5 cyl diesels sound, run, and how serviceable they are.

The 87 420 is the same chassis, a bit longer, and just as easy to work on. And if you buy the repair manuals on CD / DVD, the repairs could be done by a complete dunce; they are that well written.

Yup, I love my Benzes.

ps - if you service your own cars, use Rusty at buymbparts.BIZ. The dot biz is important. He'll beat anybody's price, and where I live, standard shipping is one day. He'll save you money!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc, the sl is a 107. The next model was a 129.
The 126 was the big S car.

But most of the parts all interchanged. The beauty of a Benz. It's amazing the parts that continue to be used. My 01 210 has some parts starting with 116 - a 116 was the predecessor to the 126, last US year 1981.

The Benz part numbering system all start with the first model the part was used on.

I had a 82 300SD. Talk about a bullet proof ride. I still love the way those 617 5 cyl diesels sound, run, and how serviceable they are.

The 87 420 is the same chassis, a bit longer, and just as easy to work on. And if you buy the repair manuals on CD / DVD, the repairs could be done by a complete dunce; they are that well written.

Yup, I love my Benzes.

ps - if you service your own cars, use Rusty at buymbparts.BIZ. The dot biz is important. He'll beat anybody's price, and where I live, standard shipping is one day. He'll save you money!

The Benz numbering system never quite made sense. Sometimes it appeared to adhere to the engine sometimes not. I'm no expert on them. I just owned and loved a few of them.

Whatever, I had an '86 300sdl, 2 @'90 420 sels and a '91 560 sel. Mechanics referred to them as 126. I care little what they really were. It was a good series for Benz. They were nice cars. heavy, tough as nails, comfortable, durable, reliable.

Thanks for the rather confusing explanation.