• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jeep "Wheel Adapters" Any Thoughts...

Bamby

I've owned a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee for well quite a few years. Anyway there's been one single big issue with the thing since we've purchased the thing. Despite how tight I've torqued the lug-nuts it seems the wheels somehow manage become loose. In looking around on the net it does appear that my problem is a common enough occurrence with these vehicles.

Now on to my current dilemma. The last time I rotated tires and inspected the brakes I had to chase and re-torque the lug-nuts umpteen times before they stabilized and stayed "right with the vehicle". It's such a PIA that I've been afraid to touch anything to do with them for quite awhile now. But it now actually needs some tires and I'm quite seriously considering getting rid of the jeep rims as I consider them the principal culprit to the problem.

I happen to own a few sets of older ford rims that still have good tires mounted and balanced and ready to roll. But though the tires are the same size the bolt pattern is different. The jeep appears to have a 4.5 bolt pattern and the ford rims have a 5.5 pattern. There appears to be "Wheel Adapters" available on the market to convert the pattern over to ford, but are they safe and reliable? Anyone used them or have any experience with them?

Or am I chasing my tail with what would really maybe be a "Really Bad Idea"?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I sure would not throw adapters into a problem area like that. Are you using a torque wrench when you tighten the lugs? You might also consider new studs and lug nuts since you have been having trouble with them. you may have stretched threads on them. Have you tried jacking it up and checking the wheels for runout? You may have bent rims.

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
My wife drove grand Cherokees for years (last one in 2001) and we never had issues like that with alloy rims.

I like the idea of changing lug nuts (at least) and staying with what you have. What are you torqueing them to?

Bamby

This is Kinda Weird, Thread doesn't show up under "New Posts"

Maybe some more of the story is relevant here..

We purchased the one owner vehicle used off a car lot "as is". After driving it home and servicing it, oil change, etc. The wife took it off to wal-mart for some new skins which it actually needed.

Well when she got home from wally-world which is only about twenty miles away she commented the jeep was now making some sort funny sound. I then went out and checked the jeep and found a really loose wallaby wheel and several lug nuts actually loose on the other tires.

Well I proceeded to break out the ratchet to run them all down tight before finishing them with a torque wrench. Well surprise, surprise in the process I found that even though the actual threads appeared right I needed at least two, possibly three (it's been awhile) different sockets for because of various lug-nuts sizes on the vehicle. (Remember it just left wal-mart)

This actually threw me some flags (imagine that), but I proceeded to go ahead a torque then all back down again anyway to 100 ft. pounds and then threw some tools and sockets onto the back floorboard just in case. Well just in case came in handy within just a few additional miles of driving, I could hear a grating sound and of course checked the wheels again. This time I could see some shavings back in the recess for the lug-nuts that obviously came from the alloy wheels.

Well I proceeded to then take the breaker-bar and an extension bar that I'd stowed on the floorboard and proceeded to stand and bounce on the rig for each and every lug-nut on that rim. I then did the same thing to a few other nuts that I found already attempting to work loose on the other three rims and they've seemed to have held ever since.

Well that's been some time ago and the tires actually wore well enough I never bothered touching them again, basically I've been afraid too. But it does now need some new skins. I know at least one rim has experienced some wallowing due to loosing lug-nuts. And due to various different size lug-nuts that were in place as purchased I'm left wondering if their are also deficiencies with some of the other rims as well.

That get's back around to the wheel-adapters, I've got and own some known extra ford tires and rims and a jeep with poor tires and questionable rims...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Get some proper lug nuts for that year vehicle. The wheel with the holes wore may need replaced. I would not run adapters on them as they become the weak link for a vehicle like that .

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i would suggest all 4 rims as the taper may have been damaged by an idiot with an airgun also replace the lug nuts with the ones called for with the rims

jwstewar

I would either look for a set of decent aftermarket rims and lugnuts or a junkyard for a set of factory wheels. I would then replace all of the lugnuts with new ones. I would also seriously look at replacing all the studs as well.

Bamby

I've conceded and guess I'll follow the general route of you all's suggestions. This vehicle is basically used as a winter beater for the most part, and even though it's in fairly good shape I'm not looking or wanting to put any real money into the thing. Lug nuts are a sure thing, wheel studs are possible depending on difficultly of access, instillation. And I've just started scouring craigs list for potential tires&rims for the thing.

Oh well on it goes after all I spent three hours today looking for a part for the furnace, unsuccessfully. Just spent about twenty minutes on the web and sourced the part for just $5.49. Maybe I should just park the vehicles order everything on the web and have it delivered. :unsure:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Check with your local salvage yards for a set of wheels. If not the alloys get the steelies and put on some nice 'caps...

Your rims are most likely f'ed up, bad.

tommu56

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you put new studs in don't use an impact wrench use a beaker bar or X wrench to pull them in.
The hammering in the stud/nut doesn't let them pull in correctly and they can come loose. Don't ask how I know:unsure:

tom

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Bamby........Did you ever solve your jeep wheel issue ?

Was cleaning out one of my storage trailers & came across 5 nice 15" factory steel jeep Cherokee rims & center caps in your correct bolt pattern, 2 of which have a nice pair of studded snow radials already mounted.

I'd take $125 for everything. Not too far from you either in Ohio at zip 44680.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration before I craigslist 'em.

Tom

Trakternut

Check with your local salvage yards for a set of wheels. If not the alloys get the steelies and put on some nice 'caps...

Your rims are most likely f'ed up, bad.

Yup! Your wheels are screwed. The flopping around, when the nuts were loose, wore the stud holes just enough that the nuts can't mate with the tapr well enough to maintain the proper friction, which keeps them from moving.

Go to a "real" tire shop for the next set of tires.

Bamby

Bamby........Did you ever solve your jeep wheel issue ?

Was cleaning out one of my storage trailers & came across 5 nice 15" factory steel jeep Cherokee rims & center caps in your correct bolt pattern, 2 of which have a nice pair of studded snow radials already mounted.

I'd take $125 for everything. Not too far from you either in Ohio at zip 44680.

Just thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration before I craigslist 'em.

Tom

No I haven't done anything about the Jeep as of yet. Fact is I just drove it today for the fist time since I opened the thread. Sounds as if you're offering me a pretty good solution to the problem. I also agree with the thinking that it's current rims are shot, but I'm also inclined to believe there was an issue before I purchased it.

I've got a pretty full plate scheduled right now till the first of next week. By chance are they the aluminum painted gray? Anyway if you can wait until sometime next week I think we can make a deal...

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Pictures of the Jeep wheels & tires;

Posted them before but the other pics are in the twilight zone somewhere along with my post.:ermm:

Attachments

• MVC-003S.JPG
    MVC-003S.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 140
  • MVC-004S.JPG
    MVC-004S.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 142
  • MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 146

Bamby

Sent you a PM with contact information :biggrin:.

Yes they'll work for us. And fortunately they are the Aluminum Painted steel wheels like I hoped they were. One of the neighbors had stock jeep steel wheels that were painted black and they simply were outright butt ugly.

Bamby

Informational update: Well it appears the wheels purchased from our fellow forum member TOMLESCOEQUIP has cured the Jeeps wheel issue and everything appears hunky dourly and I'm no longer afraid of driving the darn thing.

Fact is been utilizing it a lot pulling a utility trailer loaded with lots of stone and asphalt repairing potholes in a parking lot and am pleased both the trailer and the Jeep are doing a satisfactory job of progressing the work and getting it done. Looking back I just wish I'd had made the conversion back when I first bought the darn thing instead of going through all the frustration in the process... :hammer:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Pretty sure I've got most of the stuff to fix about anything if I can just remember which building I put it in ! :confused2:

Glad those worked out for ya !

Take care

Tom