• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Linn Tractor

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
In the early years of snow transportation,when Lombard was selling his Steam haulers ,and gasoline log haulers,he had a salesman named Holman harry Linn, H.H.Linn. Mr Linn traveled around Maine promoting the lombard machines. some where along the way Linn and lombard parted ways. Linn moved to Morris N.Y. in 1916 and started his own factory,manufacturing his own crawler logging ,hauling,snow plowing tractors. These machines were very sucessfull and around 2500 were manufactured up into the 1950,s.
Here is a sales flyer of a 1935 Linn logging tractor,with skis on the front and tracks on the back i guess it meets you guys specs. for a snowcat !!!!!:biggrin:

linn-ad_6487.jpg

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Heres my Linn truck, i plan on rebuilding the cab this summer,i need to find the ski front end for it. It looks a bit rough but its all there!!:smile:

linn_6276.jpg

linn-oliver_6278.jpg

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
What engine did they use?

That is a lot of drawbar pull for some thing that looks to be relatively light weight. Must have to have the back loaded with logs. Today's Ag tractors will pull some fraction of what they weigh. 45,000 lb pulls would put you in the 400+ HP range today, but that pull would be at say 4-5 mph, and I bet that is faster than the Linn can do at full pull..

Still if the claim is correct the Linn is a formitable machine for sure.

Regards, Kirk

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The early model linn's used waukasha 4 and 6 cylinder engines, then they used the Hercules hxe engine,and they also used cummins diesel engines,i think a 160 cummins in the last ones.They did load the rear with logs when pulling log sleds.I'm pretty sure that drawbar pull would be in low gear,probably 1-1/2 m.p.h. The tractor i have is a 1925 and has a waukasha 100 h.p. 6 cylinder engine.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The early model linn's used waukasha 4 and 6 cylinder engines, then they used the Hercules hxe engine,and they also used cummins diesel engines,i think a 160 cummins in the last ones.They did load the rear with logs when pulling log sleds.I'm pretty sure that drawbar pull would be in low gear,probably 1-1/2 m.p.h. The tractor i have is a 1925 and has a waukasha 100 h.p. 6 cylinder engine.

This makes good sence...

To double the speed of pull, you need 4X the horse power. Do the math, and it's right in line with a modern Ag tractor. Still, the tractors weight is the deciding factor.

Waukasha engine plant is some thing I spent some time in a few years back. What a place! They built everything from a single cylinder octane test engine up to a 4,800 HP V16 Wasuksha Sulzer engine.

Regards, Kirk

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
You haven't started yet! I expect it done when I come back next summer! Stop fooling around!

I know So many projects so little time and money

how's sugaring season looking?

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
Steve, we only got about 8" of snow here so far,we need some more ,and im hoping sugaring season is good this year since we didn't have one last year.:biggrin:

3512b

GOLD Site Supporter
well that 6 inches more that I have in my yard in Anchorage
I was thinking global warming was a good thing here in Alaska and then I went a bought a snow trac....:sad: