• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Lawyer Tale

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
A lawyer purchased a box of very rare and expensive cigars, then insured them against, among other things, fire.

Within a month, having smoked his entire stockpile of these great cigars and without yet having made even his first premium payment on the policy the lawyer filed a claim against the insurance company.

In his claim, the lawyer stated the cigars were lost “in a series of small fires.”
The insurance company refused to pay, citing the obvious reason, that the man had consumed the cigars in the normal fashion.

The lawyer sued.. and WON!

Delivering the ruling, the judge agreed with the insurance company that the claim was frivolous. The judge stated nevertheless, that the lawyer held a policy from the company, which it had warranted that the cigars were insurable and also guaranteed that it would insure them against fire, without defining what is considered to be “unacceptable fire” and was obligated to pay the claim.

Rather than endure a lengthy and costly appeal process, the insurance company accepted the ruling and paid $15,000 to the lawyer for his loss of the cigars lost in the “fires”.

After the lawyer cashed the check, the insurance company had him arrested on 24 counts of ARSON!!!

With his own insurance claim and testimony from the previous case being used against him, the lawyer was convicted of intentionally burning his insured property and was sentenced to 24 months in jail and a $24,000 fine. :yum: :yum:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter is in her second year of law school.

She asked me if I would feel inadequate after she graduates because I don't have a degree that would be as advanced as her (future) degree. I said hell no. I explained to her that I hire lawyers as hourly employees to do what I need done. They take orders from me and figure out how to make things happen and if they try to over bill I bitch at them. I explained that my ideas earned me money not my hourly labor and that lawyers were just high paid hourly workers who didn't get paid if they didn't work.

She has not brought up the topic since!

snowstorm

GOLD Site Supporter
Every once in a while we are obligated to remind our kids they’re not always as smart as they think they are ��

Dmorency

GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter has just passed her Bar exam a few weeks ago. Very proud proud father here! She passed Bar in English and in French. She did the English Bar in Ottawa and the French Bar in Quebec. :clap:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My daughter has just passed her Bar exam a few weeks ago. Very proud proud father here! She passed Bar in English and in French. She did the English Bar in Ottawa and the French Bar in Quebec. :clap:

Must have a lot of will power; I can never pass a bar.:yum:
Congrats to you and her!