• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ice on the roads

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Ive heard a lot of bitching about snow and crappy weather down south this year. I concur our weather has been unusually crappy this year too this is what we have been driving on since last Thursday when the snow changed to rain. just remember the grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence.

Attachments

• ice on teh roads.jpg
    ice on teh roads.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 175

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: ice on teh roads

Cool pic! Would love to go out there with an ATV and do some drifting.

Can't help but notice... nobody is on the road driving.

Those down south may not have it so good. They got stuck since there's a whole group of assholes who didn't shut things down when they should have. Everyone was stuck away from home. Couple that with little to no road equipment for handling this, wrong tires, no experience... and they have a mess.

Pull up the Atlanta news on the internet. It isn't pretty. Kids stuck on school buses for 12+ hours and yesterday afternoons traffic is (last I checked) still out there on the roads.

PS. As I recall, it was warmer in Nome AK yesterday than it was in Georgia and parts of Florida. I also checked Prudhoe Bay which was warmer than our area. That is definitely not common.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

until last night when the temp dropped I had chains on both axles of my 4 wd truck.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Don't blame you.

I'm curious. What do y'all use up there to either cover or melt the ice so people can get around?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
no ice melt in the bush, just sand from the beach. in anchorage it's a combination of 1/4 inch gravel and magnesium chloride. or calcium chloride the state has been experimenting with a molasses based brine for ice control. seems to be playing havoc with AMF efforts to keep moose off the roads as they are attracted to the new deicer. the mag chloride also attracted moose as cars up on the hillside all had toung marks on them from moose licking the sides of cars left out side.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope for your sake they're avoiding the calcium chloride. It's eating up tranny and brake lines around here.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, understand that in many of these states where there is ice on the road they 1)outlawed studded snow tires, 2)don't have any snow plows, 3)don't have any salt piles to melt it, 4)don't have any equipment to spread salt if they had it, and lastly, they have never had to drive on it before so they are clueless.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the last part I under stand we always have southerners migrating up here, and I see a few new ones every year. in the bush most of us also don't have studded tires the conditions were extreme this week with temps as high as 45 above making this stuff like trying to drive atop STP. I was pulling seasoned drivers up on to the road just to watch cars slide back into the ditches again, before you could unhook. 5mph winds would blow you backwards while you were trying to walk in to it. I am so glad the weather has got colder as you find better traction on the ice the colder it gets.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It is a bitch running chains on all 4 wheels on ice. It is like running over continuous rumble strips but the only way to get around. I seldom run the front ones unless it is not fit to drive or we get a big snow over ice.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see the Jet stream that has been bringing Don in Ak the warm weather has changed. That huge loop that has been so abnormal was cut off on the West coast and will dissapate. The lower 48 will now have a S.W. to N. E. storm track I hope. Hope that brings some thing white and wonderfull in our future here. And Don gets back to his normal weather as well...

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
in 25 years of owning this truck and plowing snow with it this was the first time I have been chained all the way around. I just could not steer with out iron on the front.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
And I thought we had ice here ! That's bad .
I hate this time of the year . It means your ice cleats go on if you go outside and it don't matter if it is 5 feet or 500 feet of walking . A broken hip is no fun . ice ,ice everywhere

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
weather was looking nice today about 25 degrees and a little wind so I pulled the chains off. than looked at the weather again next 3 days are calling for freezing rain. weather service showed a high of 52 degrees during our warm up.