• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker for auction

tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I kinda decided this morning I was going to pay what ever it takes to own it but i don't "need" it so if one of you guys truly want it and will give it a good home let me know and I will respectfully steep aside. My gut feeling says it will go for around 13 to 16k

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I’m kinda starting to fall in love with the ‘56 443’s now.......

I am with you RRose. The '56 443's are the best looking Tuckers built. You get the vertical bar wrap around the corner grill just like the world famous Rock & Roll without the need for an entire continent of snow needed to turn around.

Attachments

• Tucker 1956 cat.jpg
    Tucker 1956 cat.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Timberline 443.jpg
    Timberline 443.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 199

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
I was looking at the pictures of the ‘52 and I don’t see the traditional Tucker Sno-Cat Vin/year/model tag on the dash that you see on all the other Tucker’s. It might have some kinda tag under the wiper motor...... did this style tag not start until later models:

Attachments

• CC73A220-B0F6-4D98-BC95-055AF69D7748.jpg
    CC73A220-B0F6-4D98-BC95-055AF69D7748.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 204

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
hey, "Clyde, the tucker man" I will take this one, and you are welcome Clyde.

the earlier tuckers 1948 through 1953 used a brass VIN tag and it is on this cat, middle of the dash to the right of the speedo, look at the 7th photo of the auction listing, all is correct on this tucker.

Last edited:

RRose

SUPER Site Supporter
hey, "Clyde, the tucker man" I will take this one, and you are welcome Clyde.

the earlier tuckers 1948 through 1953 used a brass VIN tag and it is on this cat, middle of the dash to the right of the speedo, look at the 7th photo of the auction listing, all is correct on this tucker.

Helpful info - thanks Princess

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I see there is multiple days between the sales..

the 5 man at jj kane is the best bargain, (different thread), its the C model, perfect if you want a bit more of a working cat. still large roomy and fast, just takes a little more commitment to tow and operate than its lighter sibling the lowly A model.

Actually, that's not correct. The listing says it's a 1202 B and the literature supports that. The C model has the C6 automatic transmission and the cast aluminum wheels. B models have a four-speed manual and automotive style 5-lug wheels. The A and B models have the instrumentation directly in front of the driver, but the C model moves that panel to the center, and angled toward the driver.

I know the A model had the Ford 170 CID 6 cylinder and the C model has the larger 300 I-6. I don't know which engine came in the B model...

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Literature as-for sale new is one thing,

the machine as-sold used is another.

Over the years when replacement parts were ordered from dealers, they got what ever the dealer had in stock at the time.
Part number -________ supersides - _________ is usually how it is entered in the card files.

to me and my limited experience.

A models OC 4 with drop boxes ( chain or gear is a crap shoot)
B models OC 12, 4 Spd or Auto. depends how it was ordered. usually found with the steel two piece wheels.
C models OC 12 Auto cast wheels ( thiokol, DMC, LMC all had a hand in these models)
and Yes the cluster moved around. The C model LMC has the cluster as you describe it.
the C model thiokol parked in the barn has is it in front of the operator.

I feel we as enthusiast give the manufactures of this equipment more credit than they deserve for what is where and when.

I have a C model 3700 that has a allis chalmers engine. the cab clearly states DMC B model.
the decal on the Chassis Tub is LMC.

it has the newer C model two piece axles and again an allis chalmers engine all with larger bearinged Cast wheels.

The Thiokol, DMC, LMC lineage is like the heinz 57 of over the snow machines.... almost like calling a IH scout a 1980 because the head lights are square.

I'm certainly not an expert on the Thiokol/DMC/LMC line up but my experience is similar to what redsqwrl describes. I bought a 1976 Thiokol 1202C from the LMC sales guy at the time. The data plate said it was a 1202ST which I have seen the ST badge on one other 1200 series but don't know what it means. It had the crew cab, 300 cid ford, c-6 auto, oc-12 rear end with the drop axels, aluminum front wheels and the two piece steel wheels on the other 4 axels, J style track grousers, instruments in front of the driver and a six way blade. Was represented as a one owner machine purchased by Burlington Northern.

My friend had a 1977 Thiokol 1202 that had a wider upper cab, no drop axels and the instruments in the center of the engine cowl but was otherwise the same as mine. Originally owned by Alaska DOT and was sold at auction with the rear end disassembled and needing rebuild. He rebuilt the rear end and it trashed its self right away. He rebuilt the rear end again and sold to a lady and it has sat unused ever since. One of the factory guys I used to talk to said that rear end in that machine had always been a problem or was junk as he put it.

I also had a Thiokol 3700AC hydromaster that was a mid seventies but even the factory wasn't sure exactly when it was built. It had a mixture of small Axel diameter thin webbed aluminum wheels and some thicker large Axel wheels and then some even thicker large Axel aluminum wheels. I bought two new wheels from the LMC factory shortly before they closed the doors and those wheels had very thick webbing and a thickened casting around the bearings.

I have personally seen a few 3700AC, DMC 3700 and one 3700LMC plus many pictures of all the different models and almost all of them have some slight difference among them.

I had parts manuals and quite a few brochures of both 1200s and 3700s and there were many options including engines, axels, rear ends, accessories etc. plus lots of frame and track changes over the years. Very difficult for me to positively identify an exact model at first glance.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Redsqwrl and Alaska Snow Cat,

You guys bring up an interesting point. In hindsight we look at brochures and production machines and tend to assume everything went according to Hoyle; that the machines that left the factory left with options and equipment that matched up with the sales literature at the time.

But I think the reality is as you two have pointed out. There aren't clear delineations between machines as they left the factory. Production changes also don't line up with year models. Changes were introduced on an as-needed basis, and existing parts inventory was used up as well. Machines made during a transition had a mix of "old" and "new" components.

And, in companies like Thiokol (and Tucker), a customer could probably special order something not listed in the brochure at all.

In 2018 we're evaluating machines built 40 or so years ago and many have had multiple owners. Those owners also make modifications...

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Redsqwrl and Alaska Snow Cat,

You guys bring up an interesting point. In hindsight we look at brochures and production machines and tend to assume everything went according to Hoyle; that the machines that left the factory left with options and equipment that matched up with the sales literature at the time.

But I think the reality is as you two have pointed out. There aren't clear delineations between machines as they left the factory. Production changes also don't line up with year models. Changes were introduced on an as-needed basis, and existing parts inventory was used up as well. Machines made during a transition had a mix of "old" and "new" components.

And, in companies like Thiokol (and Tucker), a customer could probably special order something not listed in the brochure at all.

In 2018 we're evaluating machines built 40 or so years ago and many have had multiple owners. Those owners also make modifications...

and since you brought up, Tucker Sno-cat,

they simply had the Moto of: "built no two the same and no snow too deep" and have found brochures to be almost pure fiction

holds very true for pontoons machines, good luck to anyone that can explain tucker to me...complete mystery of why