• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Cat Jamboree 2015

For those of you who didn't get enough of Leavenworth area, see below. There was no charge for this last time he gave it, so I assume that is case this time.

...................................................................................................
Hi all:

If you got this email and do not want it, please let me know and I will take you off the list. Likewise if you know of someone who should have it, please forward it on and have them contact me.

Not much of a winter yet. Maybe in February. We have been asked to try to put on a sno cat class again this year so we are going to try to do just that. As you know, we have had to cancel the last two years for various reasons. This year we will definitely meet no matter what. !

Dates will be Tuesday and Wednesday March 3rd and 4th in Leavenworth. Classroom will be at the Leavenworth fire hall on the 3rd from 8 a.m until 4 p.m field day location and agenda will be determined as we get closer.

I will send out a working agenda soon, but some topics we are working on are:

Map and compass
Winter survival
Wilderness first aid
Avalanche refresher
Avalanche path and hazard evaluation
Rescue beacon refresher
Sno Cat operation and maintenance
Trailering
Road building

If you have ideas or needs that you would like to see us talk about, please let me know. Also, if you want or can teach a topic that would be beneficial to the group, please let me know. We will be putting this together in the coming weeks.

Rooms are good at the best western.

http://icicleinn.com/

Lots of space at DOT shed west end of town for rigs.

Talk soon.

Mike Stanford
WSDOT North Central Region
Avalanche Forecast/Control Supervisor
Artillery Program Manager
509-667-2817
StanfoM@wsdot.wa.gov

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
My wife and I drove the Tin Can (1990 Geo Tracker) over to Leavenworth Washington on 9 Oct. I wanted to drive up the roads we went up in the Snowcats during the Jamboree last January. What took me 2 hours and seemed like 20 miles in the snowcat turned out to be 6 1/2 miles and took about 30 minutes in the car. The first picture is where we had the tent set up for the picnic. The second is "AJ" hill. This is where AJ broke an axle and rolled backwards into another cat that was sitting a little below where the car is. It is steeper than it looks in the picture.
Our plan was to drive up to the top of the mountain, then go back to Leavenworth for some good German food and a little shopping, then head back to the cabin.
When I got back into the car to start it, I turned the key and......nothing. WTF?!!!! No click, no stutter, nothing. Why do these things always wait until you are in the middle of nowhere to happen?
So the wife and I had to push it and get it back on the road. I didn't want to go straight ahead, because just to the right of the picture is a cliff. Had to turn it to the right, push it through a small wash uphill and finally got it back on the road. (I'm glad it is light) Now it is coasting out of gear down hill with me hobbling along with my bad hip at the open door trying to jump in to roll start it. (Sorry, no video)
So I jump in, and it started right up. Whew!
I am convinced that this place has bad JuJu. Between AJ and me bad things happen here. Can we go somewhere else next year?
We made it back down to Leavenworth no problem, but couldn't shut the car off. I always wondered why Leavenworth has a McDonalds when there are so many nice restaurants in town. IT,S SO PEOPLE WITH BAD STARTERS CAN USE THE DRIVE THROUGH!
Now I really owe my wife dinner.
I had a new starter at the cabin and had it fixed in about 20 minutes. The solenoid burned out and was open circuited. It worked fine for 25 years. I just had the starter out last year to check it out. This falls under one of the "True and Secret Mysteries of Life" I guess.

Attachments

• 20151009_112720.jpg
    20151009_112720.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 165
  • 20151009_112902.jpg
    20151009_112902.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 165

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The short answer is yes. I'm gonna move the date a little but there will be a snowcat Jamboee 2016.
I want to thank you for doing this for us . it is a bit more than just setting the dates. like always,:letitsnow: i'm available if you need help.
jim