• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

The Ultimate Snow Cat "HUNT"

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
If I were "Rich & Famous", which I'm not, I think I'd rent the services of a 'Bush Pilot', during the Iditarod, and do a round trip inspection of the entire route. There are some interesting Snow cats that show up on documentaries.
Iditarod_map.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
For the rest of this variation on an african safari, or more correctly North West Safari, I'd drive the following roads: It's hard to say which one takes the highest priority. 1) The Dempster Highway 2) The "Top of the World Highway", 3) the Klondike Highway, and 4) the route of the Proposed McKenzie Gas Piipeline.

These routes carve thru some really remote areas of Alaska, the Yukon and Northwest Territories.
We'll start with the Dempster:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dempster_Highway
This one 475 miles long is a tough haul. You would need to bring everything with you, fuel, food, water, camp gear, maybe a spare vehicle,....
Of course you can do what I did and just do a GOOGLE EARTH trip up it. Definately Snow Cat Heaven!

dempster-highway-map.jpg

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You would need to bring everything with you, fuel, food, water, camp gear, maybe a spare vehicle,....

Sound like you might also need to bring a huge trailer and a lot of cash (if this was the "ultimate" hunt then you need to bring back souvenirs). :biggrin:

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I had to evacuate my office for awhile as we were starting a big 3000 HP Gas compressor. It's up and so are our (2) 40,000 HP, 30MW, gas turbines. Things are getting back to normal. I've traveled thru some of these locations where the Alaska Highway intersects some of these roads. There's alot of Oil development going on and a lot of it looks similar to those in Alaska. During an inspection of all 4 routes by satteleite(Google Earth) one of the excursions led me to follow a smaller gas pipeline already built along the route of the proposed McKenzie gas pipeline. There were Oil Wells, Pump Stations, and neat Junkyards and Supply Depot's all along the way. At one remote town in the Northwest Territory there were a groop of orange machines that were either Nodwell or Foremost Track Rigs. They were the big 'Tractor Trailer' models. Along all the routes were homes, and some smaller towns. Nothing as big as Nome. In a part of the world that regularly sees -40 degree temps, and is snow and ice covered a significant part of the year, one might have a use for a Snow Cat.

Many thanks to the folks at Wikipedia for the great articles.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
from what you have written you have done more research on and had the time to travel around and meet people most of us could only dream about love hering the stories from your research still trying to get my hands on the navy snow trac also found out about several still in use at a mine up in deering on the north east end of the seward penesula.if you look in my post last ride there is a picture of a salvagable muskeg tractor with a 3-53 road oiler in it

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
i also know of a fact that the state sent out some imps to several villages for honey bucket services working to see if any are still in existance .

ps i still have not herd of any krustys in the state except for bobcats that should be up an a uaf camp in anwr if he dosn't post any pics of it being used he will get a dose of you know what from the snow trac crowd

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I didn't list the "Haul Road", the road along the Alaska Pipeline as I had done a previous piece on it. It's a "Freeway" compared to these other northern roads. It's travelable almost 365 days a year in a 2 wheel drive.
Here' a few shots of what YOU can see off the sattellite:
DAWSON CITY
Dawson City.jpg
DEMPSTER Highway
Dempster.jpg
Ferry Crossing on the Dempster
Dempster Ferry.jpg
Close up of Ferry crossing.
Dempster Ferry 2.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is the UAAF Arctic Research camp at Toolik.
Toolik W.jpg

This is an Arial view of Toolik, it's the cluster of stuff on the edge of the lake. Center of the picture is the "Haul Raod" for the Trans Alaska Pipeline. In the lower right hand corner the just barely visable straight lines that have an angle where they meet is the Alaska Pipeline itself.
Research center.jpg

This is a photo of the Pipeline near the Toolik Arctic Research Station.
Pipeline.jpg

This is Alyeska Pumpstation #4, just 12 miles south of Toolik, and my home for a couple years.
PS4.jpg

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Don, I assume when you reffered to the ANWR research station, this is what you were talking about when you said Bobcat's Kristi was there. I tried blowing up the picture but it wasn't clear enough. It is also possible that there is another ANWR research center that I'm not fimiliar with.

Toolik is fairly well funded courtesy of the Alyeska Pipeline grants to UAF(University of Alaska, Fairbanks).

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Look what I Got!

Here you go Don:

The Ultimate Snow Cat Engine! it weighs in at a mere 5 tons, might have to beef up that suspension a bit to handel it. Still, it's a lot lighter than the (8) Rail Road Locomotive engines that it's the equivalent of. 40,000 HP. GE.

It uses one gallon of fuel every 2 seconds, or 1800 gallons per hour. You could run it in the Iron Dog (Snowmobile race that follows the route of the Iditarod), Anchorage to Nome in a couple hours!

The fuel bill to run it for one year? 1.97(Million$)
GE.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
toolik is where he is at i think a garret diect drive 1000 hp turbin for a casa 212 ould make a great snow trac engine you would just have to pull a tank on a sled behind it same engine as the m1 abrams

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Look what I Got!

Here you go Don:

The Ultimate Snow Cat Engine! it weighs in at a mere 5 tons, might have to beef up that suspension a bit to handel it. Still, it's a lot lighter than the (8) Rail Road Locomotive engines that it's the equivalent of. 40,000 HP. GE.

It uses one gallon of fuel every 2 seconds, or 1800 gallons per hour. You could run it in the Iron Dog (Snowmobile race that follows the route of the Iditarod), Anchorage to Nome in a couple hours!

The fuel bill to run it for one year? 1.97(Million$)
View attachment 45920
Is this powering a big genset?

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
if i had to guess it runs a pump or compressor they do also use the same engines for generators and on some boats to run the prepulsion systems

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It powers a 32 MegaWatt, 3600 RPM Syncronous generator. We have (2), and they run in Parrallel. Normally the engine will only develop 28 Megawatts, but when the air is really cold it is harder and the engines will develop closer to 30 MW. The Cold Hard air condition prevails here more than half the year.
We relaay need a third unit, as we have no back-up if one of the units gives trouble. Some years back one of the units did develop a problem. They Flew in (2) modular Turbo/generator sets. They arrived in Fairbanks on 2 Massive Russian Antonov 128 cargo planes that were unable to land at Deadhorse as the Runway would not take the weight. Then they were Trucked up the "Haul Road" from Fairbanks to Prudhoe.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
here in nome when they replaced our power plant they went with 2 generators made by wartsilla they are an impressive piece of diesel electric engineering but i still think some snaller turbins would have been better as they come pre packaged in their own modules and all you have to do is set them level and hook them up engine wise few moving parts = less maintainance and smaller parts mean less down time when repairs are required.

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The problem with Turbines is that below about 5000 HP(roughly equivalent to a Railway Locomotive engine, usually 16 Cyl) they are not as fuel effiicient as a reciprocating machine.
Fuel?,.. What's Fuel?,.. We MAKE Fuel!------- Unless your a telephone company, a branch of the millitary, or and Oil company, they tend to be prohibitive in the smaller sizes. The phone company just unloaded dozens of barely used 200KW(300 HP) Gas and Diesel Jet/Turbine generator sets. My associate has 2 in his junkyard. One has only 53 hours! They are small, light, reliable, and don't polute. BUT THey are just plain MEAN on fuel.

An associate of mine who tended the powerplant in Nome many years ago, said they had quite a variety of machines, including a Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston. the powerplant at the mine could be parralleled to the Nome one and that when the big drag line was operating at the mine it was difficult to keep the Power Factor stable.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
ours are 10 meg right on the line of effeciancy but in the long run with less moving i think itwould be better jmo i spend a lot of time working at the airport and with the hours they put on those garrets i'm impressed they only have lost one hot section since they started using casa's and that was a defect in the rebuild

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
The problem with Turbines is that below about 5000 HP(roughly equivalent to a Railway Locomotive engine, usually 16 Cyl) they are not as fuel effiicient as a reciprocating machine.
Fuel?,.. What's Fuel?,.. We MAKE Fuel!------- Unless your a telephone company, a branch of the millitary, or and Oil company, they tend to be prohibitive in the smaller sizes. The phone company just unloaded dozens of barely used 200KW(300 HP) Gas and Diesel Jet/Turbine generator sets. My associate has 2 in his junkyard. One has only 53 hours! They are small, light, reliable, and don't polute. BUT THey are just plain MEAN on fuel.

An associate of mine who tended the powerplant in Nome many years ago, said they had quite a variety of machines, including a Fairbanks Morse Opposed Piston. the powerplant at the mine could be parralleled to the Nome one and that when the big drag line was operating at the mine it was difficult to keep the Power Factor stable.
300 hp there's an engine for weatherby's thiokol

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter

alaska gold no longer runs there own plant the old plant has a 1800 rpm cat ond some older gen sets i believe they are kato's or something like that they were all paralelled the cat ran too fast and they foound it hard to keep the load balanced so it rattled the building the older gen sets ran much slower as do these wartsillas i think there are now 3 of them plus a wind farm but power imput from that seems too cause the wartsillas to run inefficiantly and if the town runs off the old gen sets and the wind drops out it takes too long to fore up a wartsilla to get it warmed up and on line all i know is my fuel surcharge on my electric bill is up to $160.00 per month and another 150 in kwh plus the line charge i'm starting to add up the cost of electricity and am now thinking i could run a 10 k gen set and bank of batterys for less than my electric bill.