• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Firefox vs IE7

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Wow!!
I just got Firefox on the advice of a friend.
May I say I LOVE it, much much better than IE:smile:
I had to adjust a few settings, however..
Things run mighty fast on my computer with it.
Yay!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Are you using the version 3 release candidate 1 beta version? It is even faster than the production version 2 release.

California

Charter Member
Site Supporter
The next step is to remove the irrelevant clutter that websites are trying to force you to see. All those dancing mortgage offers in the right margin, etc.

You need the Adblock Plus add-on for that.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I tried Firefox a year or two ago and it wouldn't work with several business websites that I must log into daily, so I ended up uninstalling it. However, I installed it again about 4 or 5 months ago and it's been great! :thumb::thumb:

Dave, what is the difference between 2 and 3? I'm running 2 now and it seems to run much better than IE7. I'm almost paranoid about going to 3. You know, new versions having bugs etc. Tell me now, is 3 going to work as well as 2? :flowers:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Dave, what is the difference between 2 and 3? I'm running 2 now and it seems to run much better than IE7. I'm almost paranoid about going to 3. You know, new versions having bugs etc. Tell me now, is 3 going to work as well as 2? :flowers:

I have been using the beta versions of 3 for about two months now, and it is faster and less memory intense than version 2. Version 2 has always had bugs in it where it would consume huge amounts of RAM and CPU, and would crash the system. These appear to be fixed in version 3, and even though it is still technically beta, I would call it more stable than version 2 ever was.

If you follow the link I posted earlier, it will give you a description of the changes in version 3.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks to Dave I've been using Firefox for a couple of years now and love it. So much better than IE.

The sad part for web sites that don't work with Firefox is sometimes because the pages are not using properly formed code. IE was coded to allow for bad code. It makes some think it's better when in reality it's lax in running the code as it should be. Probably a smart move on the part of Microsoft but I dont' appriciate it. If you want to test your code and it works on IE, that does not mean your code is good. :bonk:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the tab feature on this better, but I had a hard time figuring out if I was clearing my crap properly with all the surfing I tend to do.

At least I don't have to contend with that phishing filter on IE.
That was my biggest gripe.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have been using firefox for about two years now and have just loved it. However, about 2 months ago it started a problem and I can't figure it out. It will fill a web page and then all of a sudden everything disappears. No one can figure out how to fix it. I have been on live chat with Firefox and they just drop out and tell me they can't help me. I have un-installed and re-installed it with no fix. I did download the beta 3 but am afraid it will just do the same thing.

murph

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I have been using firefox for about two years now and have just loved it. However, about 2 months ago it started a problem and I can't figure it out. It will fill a web page and then all of a sudden everything disappears. No one can figure out how to fix it. I have been on live chat with Firefox and they just drop out and tell me they can't help me. I have un-installed and re-installed it with no fix. I did download the beta 3 but am afraid it will just do the same thing.

murph

Maybe you need to adjust some of the settings Murph.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I have used Firefox for years and love it. Once in a while I hit sites that it won't load, but rarely.

CA.. thanks for that add on suggestion. I loaded. That should help me a TON at home since I am not on true broadband there.

urednecku

Site Supporter
OK, ya'll talked me into it. I'll try it on the desktop for a while. We tried it a few years ago, had to un-install it. If I remember right, we had issues with it conflicting Norton anti-virus. We are using Avast now, & I'm trying the version 3, so we'll see.
If it doesn't work out, remember it's Dave's fault. :poke:

Sir Knight

My two got corrupted and won't let me post on discussion boards. Re-installing it doesn't help so I suspect that it might be a common library that is used.

I'm now running a beta three and that seems to be working fine.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
FIREFOX RULES!!!!!! The problem that most people have is that they do not know how to use it. I've been using it for years now and have never had any real issues with it at all. ROCK ON FIREFOX!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
FIREFOX RULES!!!!!! The problem that most people have is that they do not know how to use it. I've been using it for years now and have never had any real issues with it at all. ROCK ON FIREFOX!
Yep, it's awesome Gerard.
It took me a day or two to figure out the settings and such.
Makes me wonder now why I always thought IE7 was the bomb lol

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
(Windows in general) seems to be copying Mac and FIREFOX with their layouts on Vista and with IE7. I'm using Windows XP on my home PC but have 2 notebooks on order that will have the new Vista OS. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to XP. I know that I WILL BE INSTALLING FIREFOX right away though :wink:.
I'll hopefully remember to give my opinion on the Vista OS system.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've been notebook shopping, but the only place I've found that will sell an XP machine is Best Buy and I hate them. I'm becoming resigned to the fact I'll have to buy a vista machine or spend twice as much to get a custom built one with Lindows (I know it's not called that anymore, but it's still a cool name) as a macbook isn't really compatible with job related stuff I'll need to be able to do with the thing.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I've been notebook shopping, but the only place I've found that will sell an XP machine is Best Buy and I hate them. I'm becoming resigned to the fact I'll have to buy a vista machine or spend twice as much to get a custom built one with Lindows (I know it's not called that anymore, but it's still a cool name) as a macbook isn't really compatible with job related stuff I'll need to be able to do with the thing.

Dell sells XP on their systems. It's not even a special order.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

HP does also. In fact my daughter got an HP with Vista on it, after having problem and after problem HP sent us XP Pro disks to us at no charge. Even air mailed them to us at their expense.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
So how do you know which version of Fiefox you have? I installed it at the beginning of April but there is no version information under properties.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So how do you know which version of Fiefox you have? I installed it at the beginning of April but there is no version information under properties.

Up top, click your help button and select the "About Mozilla Firefox" it will show you the info. :thumb:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Doc. I would have never looked there except by mistake. You know it's a guy thing, "We don't need no stinkin' help". :thumb:

urednecku

Site Supporter
(Windows in general) seems to be copying Mac and FIREFOX with their layouts on Vista and with IE7. I'm using Windows XP on my home PC but have 2 notebooks on order that will have the new Vista OS. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to XP. I know that I WILL BE INSTALLING FIREFOX right away though :wink:.
I'll hopefully remember to give my opinion on the Vista OS system.

Our Dell desktop is using XP, our Acer notebood uses Vista. Neither my self or the wife care too much for the Vista. It seems to have a lot of 'bugs' still in it. I've heard a lot of other people say Vista has a lot of problems.

We are probably using the last Dell I will ever buy.
1) It makes more noise than any computer I have ever heard. I'm not sure if it's the hard drive, or a fan, but a loud "hummmm".
2) When new, between Aug. 04 and May '05, (Before DSL was available to us) the modum was replaced 4 times
3)In May '07 we started getting a dreaded "blue screen" with a message "device driver stuck in endless loop --device nv4_disp". The idiots, after about 6 or 7 hours on the telephone changed out the mother board, hard drive, and drive cable. (YEA, with all the stuff on the hard drive) Then while I had to install the operating system, the same blue screen came up.
A friend @ work said try the video card. Called Dell, they sent a Video card, I installed it, no more problems.

With customer support like that, I'd just as soon buy at a pawn shop next time.

OOPS, SORRY just realized I was there again. :soapbox:

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Redneck - I can sympathize with your Dell woes. We used to have them issued to us at work. The contract was not renewed -- for cause. Now we have HP desktops. (the jury is still out on them) Dave - I know Dell sells XP units, but they don't use Athlon chips on those systems. (I know, I didn't mention that before - but I don't like Intel) thcri - I know HP sells some XP units, but again limited selection, it's actually a compaq, and my baby sister in law has had serious service/reliability issues with her HP laptop, so I'm reluctant to go that route.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
thcri - I know HP sells some XP units, but again limited selection, it's actually a compaq, and my baby sister in law has had serious service/reliability issues with her HP laptop, so I'm reluctant to go that route.

About ten years ago I swore I would never ever buy another HP product. Mostly because of service. My friend bought a HP so I thought I would give one a try since Dell had just got done burning me. I liked it and loved their service. Bought another for my daughter, it had Vista on it and had all kinds of Vista problems with it. I complained about two weeks ago to HP and they asked me if I would feel better if it had XP. I said yes, the next day I had a complete set of disks for her computer Windows XP and all the drivers required.

Can't say you wouldn't have problems. It is just my experience.

murph

Kwiens

Murph,

Do not buy an HP!!!! I've had two and they both have major problems.

The oldest is a frequent flier on FedEx to HP's Service Center in Irving, TX, having been shipped to them four times via overnight express. It still isn't working properly.

The newest one has Vista Home Premium and is slated to be returned to Best Buy for a full refund within the next two weeks. HP denied it was faulty but every input was delayed 3-10 seconds. I couldn't return it until my wife was finished with her Master's classes last week.

I've had relatively good success with Dell's at work and at home. Any issues they did have Dell adequately fixed. I always request a phone technician that is in North America; I love the Canadian accent!

I now build my own computers with parts from Newegg, but it's not for everyone. Except for the Dell laptops at work I won't be buying a manufactured computer in the future.

K