• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New (used)tracked lake machine

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is one you do not see every day running 350-454 Chevy engine. originally produces in Alaska for BP ( common name these days) three where made two are here in Minnesota now one is still in Alaska with the air suspensions they have test run them to 71 mph. I guess the tracks get a little floppy at that speed. the guy that built them had a order for 100 plus to military then something happen and they were never produced. but this one will be getting a 454 with a turbo 350 automatic and we will report on the ride at higher speed. only need 30-40 mph and a good ride the top may also get a expanded cab but it will haul 8 the way it is.

Attachments

• DSCF0638.jpg
    DSCF0638.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 499
  • DSCF0640.jpg
    DSCF0640.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 507
  • DSCF0644.jpg
    DSCF0644.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 496
  • DSCF0642.jpg
    DSCF0642.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 498
  • DSCF0637.jpg
    DSCF0637.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 503

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Very cool machine :clap::clap:

Thanks for the pictures. I'll be looking forward to more :wink:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i'd met the guy who built those he used bv 206 tracks and intended them to be used as firefighting equipment in bush alaska which is the reason for the high speed he couldn't get any of the comunitys to buy them they were so high priced he also built a pickup mounted snow blower that never sold well too when i worked for the city of anchorage we had one all it did was sit there was about 2 hours of repair for every hour of usage his welder wasn't too good back then. the other problem, was he was good at dreaming things up but lacked the engineering skills to make them last or design things that could be put together cost efectivaly. the guy was also from minnisota so when he closed up shop he might have wound up there again.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
i'd met the guy who built those he used bv 206 tracks and intended them to be used as firefighting equipment in bush alaska which is the reason for the high speed he couldn't get any of the comunitys to buy them they were so high priced he also built a pickup mounted snow blower that never sold well too when i worked for the city of anchorage we had one all it did was sit there was about 2 hours of repair for every hour of usage his welder wasn't too good back then. the other problem, was he was good at dreaming things up but lacked the engineering skills to make them last or design things that could be put together cost efectivaly. the guy was also from minnisota so when he closed up shop he might have wound up there again.

Don, you had the snowblower or the tracked machine for the city? Dont recall the guys name do you?

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
The city had the snow blower it was a cool concept but the guy had no education in hydraaulic engineering and we ahad all kinds of problems with pumps and motors along with poor welding on the reel the cool thing is he built every thing woith off the shelf parts the problem he didn't care which shelf they came off of case in point one of the cylinders were an aircraft part so you understand why his projects cost so much. i can't remember his name i think his first name was kerry but can't remember he was about 5-9 around 230 with dark hair back in the early 90's so i would suspect he is grey now.

northeastheavy

That machine will do great flying across the lakes of minnesota. Real cool!!!! And a 454 is going in!!!What is its name????? Must have a name!!! Since you have to finnish it, you get to name it!!!!! Theres dmc, lmc!!!! Hmmm??? How about BMC. Boggie Manufacturing Corp!!!!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That rig looks great and simple. What does the air bag adjust?

Three air bags one in front one on each side along with two torsion bars and two coils springs give the machine its ride seems like it should give it a pretty good ride but time will tell we have to put a engine in it first.

the old trucker

Boggie is there a leveling valve hooked up to the air ride anywhere ?? Those air bags look like double convalescent bags( up bags ) we called them. Put the air to them & it keep the axle up when not in use. They were used on the lift axle on the older tri axle tlrs. with spring ride in Canada.
On the old tlrs they had a hand valve to adjust the pressure.
Nowadays with all air, they're all tied into a leveling valve. Put more weight in & the valve puts more air in, keeping everything at the same ride height. It took a lot of guess work out making sure you wern't overweigt on the axles. If she rides as smooth as the big trucks it should be good !!

The Old Trucker