• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Archimedean Screw Tractor?!?

bill w

it may be the same seller....but it is NOT the same yard as the overland train....there is no hill behind the yard as seen in the pics...i will track it down if anyone wants more info..looks cool but they would never let you cross any land up here with it..Bill w

sledhaus

That is the machine in Coldfoot that was mentioned on this site a year or two ago. At least two gentleman who post here have seen it up close. Although I have never seen photos it is identical to their descriptions and the background in the photos definitely looks like Coldfoot. It is owned by a guy in Fairbanks. Two were built for British Petroleum. The other was said to be in a BP museum in England but I haven't found any evidence of it's whereabouts. If Boggie doesn't buy this one for his museum, he needs "a good talkin to".

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there were several contraptions like that that were used to try to cross the bering straits the last one was a land rover and a few brits it happened about the same time as o returned from the desert i think they made it accross

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting combination of parts. The Engine from Germany, and the Fuller Hydro I assume is US? That V12 would cost big $ if you had to get very deep into it. I just saw a V8 with a Scored piston, and you had to take each cylinder off beside it to get to the one you are repearing. My cousin has a Gleaner combine with twin tubo'd V8 version and it sounds cool...:brows:

Regards, Kirk

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Interesting combination of parts. The Engine from Germany, and the Fuller Hydro I assume is US? That V12 would cost big $ if you had to get very deep into it. I just saw a V8 with a Scored piston, and you had to take each cylinder off beside it to get to the one you are repearing. My cousin has a Gleaner combine with twin tubo'd V8 version and it sounds cool...:brows:

Regards, Kirk
now that you are talking about the engines i worked on a check halftrack that had east block v-8's in them all the parts were interchangable with the german engines they did have a nice rumble to them

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
E-mailed the owner, this is indeed the machine I climbed around on that was in Coldfoot (250 Miles North of Fairbanks on the "haul-road" for that Alaska Pipeline) I thought the pictures look like Coldfoot. It must have been transported to Fairbanks. The owner of the truck stop at Coldfoot for some time was a well known Musher, won the Iditarod. The seller has the same first name. It's a monster. I also worked on the large Deutz Air-cooled Diesels. Nice, but expensive engines. Very well made.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here are some photos and a copy of a brochure page.

This is a pretty amazing machine.

Attachments

• Picture 12.png
    Picture 12.png
    236.2 KB · Views: 561
  • Picture 11.jpg
    Picture 11.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 546
  • Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 535
  • Picture 9.png
    Picture 9.png
    264.7 KB · Views: 563

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's where it lived for some years: It's the little Orange dot to the right of the tin building, somewhat center of the picture.
coldfoot.jpg

3542071074_5a8efc0bf0.jpg
Most of the time when I was inspecting on the Pipeline, coldfoot looked more like this:

6good_coldfoot_morningedit.jpg

alaska120

Mayor McCheese
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm gonna go and see if I can crawl around it. Might even bid it. Gotta figure how to move a 16' wide machine down the Parks though! Probably won't fit on a 9' lowboy... Hmmmmmmmmmmm.