• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Favorite Pleasure Vessel

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Deadly Sushi said:
It cant be above 26"
Well if we are limited to something that can't be longer than 26" then I'd say it would have to be a ship in a bottle.

If it can't be above 26' then I don't have any choices. Over 26' I have a couple choices. For a singlehand/shorthanded sailing rig, a Freedom 44 Cat Ketch would be my first choice. Fast, able, strong, simplistic.

Attachments

• princip1.jpg
    princip1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 162

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice pic Bob. :thumb:

My 25' Baja would be my favorite under 26'.

Over 26' it would be a 38' Cigarette Top Gun.

Attachments

• 1999_cigarette_38_top_gun.jpg
    1999_cigarette_38_top_gun.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 168
  • 1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_2.jpg
    1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_2.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 171
  • 1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_3.jpg
    1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_3.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 168

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
a couple more pics of the 38 cig.

Attachments

• 1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_4.jpg
    1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_4.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_5r.jpg
    1999_cigarette_38_top_gun_5r.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 162

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Sweet! A business acquaintence who lives (large) in Miami has some 42' Fountain (sp?) that he has twin 700+ ci engines in. Supposedly each one puts out around 1100 hp. Now, I've never been into that sort of hp on the water, but wouldn't 2200 hp push a 42' boat along at a pretty decent clip?! I'd hate to think how much he has in that boat. I think it costs him over 7000 a month in slip rental (lifts it out of the water) and cleaning and maintenance. Besides that, what would it cost in fuel to run that thing wide open for a couple of hours??? He only runs hammer down. :thumb:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Sweet! A business acquaintence who lives (large) in Miami has some 42' Fountain (sp?) that he has twin 700+ ci engines in. Supposedly each one puts out around 1100 hp. Now, I've never been into that sort of hp on the water, but wouldn't 2200 hp push a 42' boat along at a pretty decent clip?! I'd hate to think how much he has in that boat. I think it costs him over 7000 a month in slip rental (lifts it out of the water) and cleaning and maintenance. Besides that, what would it cost in fuel to run that thing wide open for a couple of hours??? He only runs hammer down. :thumb:

Yeah, those are the reasons I'll never own one, but I can admire from afar. :D
Even if someone gave me one, I would not be able to run it each weekend of the summer because it would cost to much. Plus I would need a big diesel truck for launching & pulling it out of the water.

So it's more eye candy to me.

On another forum a guy had his Top Gun w/ 625's (i think) with whipples. Each motor was putting out 850hp. :eek: He could run mid 90's. He sold the boat because he wanted one that would do over 100. :eek:

I suspect that 42' you taked about (Dargo) will go over 100 with a setup like that.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Well if we are limited to something that can't be longer than 26" then I'd say it would have to be a ship in a bottle.

I literally spit my damn drink out. :yum: Ahhhhh..... :oops:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The Fountain will do over a hundred, but Fountains are light. I don't like how they ride in heavy water.

Since it can't be over 26". but I think sush meant 26', I'm partial to me 1964 17' Barron flatbottom dragboat. It has a blown engine in it now, but I'm starting tio piece together a 650 cu in blown intercooled engine for it. I'm planning on 10 psi boost.
This boat only has foward and nuetral, no reverse. Kinda fun to dock and work in close quarters.

I will die in a boat - it is destiny.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That sounds screaming fast Fred. :eek:
Do you have a pic of the Barron to share?
Ya know ....if that motor turns out to be to much for that little 17' I'll swap ya for a little 454. :D :yankchain: :hide:

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Doc

I only have film pictures. I gotta take some digitals one of these days.

dzalphakilo

Banned
Started out with a Dancer, then had (not in order) a Kendo, Blade, Prozone, Rocket and still have a Hurricane and Micro up in W.V, but this baby is probably the best of them all that I've used.

With the house and misses (and nine dogs and some cats) still get out to play on the Yadkin here and there, but she's seen the Gauley over 6k cfs, and some over 20k cfs out west, and even spending time on slippery rock and the Leheigh just taking a fun trip with some local buds (far north as Canada and west as Washington).

Got it up to about 13 mph without a motor. Probably has over 2,000 miles on it and has seen some pretty big rocks.

There's just enought room that after six or seven hours sitting inside of it, I get a little stiffed legged when I get out. Never measured it, but I know it's under 6'.

Whats funny and I b.s you not, a boat to me has always been a kayak. You should of seen the girls eyes light up when I used to tell them I had four boats!

P.S NEVER pee in your boat.

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 127

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Started out with a Dancer, then had (not in order) a Kendo, Blade, Prozone, Rocket, Hurricane and Micro
???
Don't you mean "Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen, Comet, Cupid, Dancer and Blitzen"

Myself... nostalgia kicks in... I like a Steury (I don't even think they're in business anymore) in the 19-25' range with appropriate power.

At 16 years old, I had a 19' Steury with a GMC 350cc that could do about 53 mph. Considering this was almost 30 years ago, the speed was impressive and it had things like power steering which was quite an option at the time.

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
At 16 years old, I had a 19' Steury with a GMC 350cc that could do about 53 mph.

Have you had ANY boat with NO motor go over 10 MPH while on the water?

Try it sometime.

If you don't believe in God, you will.

The boats I've listed are from Kayak manufacturers.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Have you had ANY boat with NO motor go over 10 MPH while on the water?

Try it sometime.

If you don't believe in God, you will.
Do waterskis count?

I grew up on Lake Erie. It wasn't commensurate to boats other than engine or wind powered.

I used to be able to slolem ski from the shore of the USA to the shore of Canada AND BACK. I'm pretty sure that would rival the endurance, stamina, freedom, adventure... that you encounter in your kayak, although it probably isn't even close in the fear/adrenaline/skill... factor of your boat.

I bought that particular boat so I could ski barefoot but family issues (my parents divorced) made a mess of that plan.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PS. Yes, I did have boats that went under 10mph. I used to do a lot of sailing in boats from about 16' and up.

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
PS. Yes, I did have boats that went under 10mph. I used to do a lot of sailing in boats from about 16' and up.

Honestly Brian, never thought about sailboats.

When I did over 10mph, it was going at the speed of the river (usually in a flood stage).

At the time, THAT was my church and that is what made me believe in a higher power greater than myself.

What, you've never been on Conneaut Lake sailing?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
What, you've never been on Conneaut Lake sailing?
Nope.

I've relinquished all toys that I can't use straight out of my buildings/property. Boats (all kinds), snowmobiles... are all gone.

Now that I have kids, I can't plan on or be as spontaneous as years past. I now want toys that I can use immediately. Planning for a day/weekend using a toy that requires travel is now out of my rhelm. If I can't drive it out of the building and start use immediately, it's useless to me.

Heck, the kids are just as happy throwing a stick in the fast-moving creek in the back yard as anything else. I/we don't need mega-$ to "do the rapids" anymore as a stick does just fine...

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
I've relinquished all toys that I can't use straight out of my buildings/property. Boats (all kinds), snowmobiles... are all gone.

Now that I have kids, I can't plan on or be as spontaneous as years past. I now want toys that I can use immediately. Planning for a day/weekend using a toy that requires travel is now out of my rhelm.

Brian, ironic.

Before I got married three years ago, I could go anywhere in the U.S within 5 days notice. People would ask me why I moved and I would ask "why not?".

Load the V.W on the truck, move more "toys" than clothes (no furniture) and I would be off.

That being said, now that I'm married, wouldn't change a thing. We're "working" on kids, but who knows. Guy who replaced me in Winston was with the 101st. 11 bravo, full of piss an vinegar sp?. Thought that he should be back in Iraq some time ago (before children).

Sometimes your perspective gets changed for the better (I sincerely think his did).

Personally although not having as much "fun" as I once did some time ago, wouldn't change a thing for the world! (now, trying to make a difference, for what it's worth).

I'd like to think thats "life".

By the way, my personal favorite pleasure vessel under 26-1/8" is my penis!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
That being said, now that I'm married, wouldn't change a thing.

Sometimes your perspective gets changed for the better

Personally although not having as much "fun" as I once did some time ago, wouldn't change a thing for the world!

I'd like to think thats "life".
And thus... you've just defined the "favorite pleasure vehicle".

It's not a boat afterall... it's life in general (although I wouldn't mind a weekend in "Plain Vanilla" just for the hell of it :thumb: :rolleyes: ).

dzalphakilo

Banned
bczoom said:
And thus... you've just defined the "favorite pleasure vehicle".

It's not a boat afterall... it's life in general (although I wouldn't mind a weekend in "Plain Vanilla" just for the hell of it :thumb: :rolleyes: ).

You made me think, thank you.

Then the question begs to be asked, "what is life?", and perhaps it depends on your developmental (sp?) stage on where "you're at" in your own life.

I'm just thankful that we're in the U.S to ask those questions.