• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Paint Sprayer for House?

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Any recommendations on a semi-pro paint sprayer for painting my house with Latex? I'm planning ahead for next year's big painting project and want to keep my eye out for something on Craigslist.

I have to be able to paint up high (about 3 stories) so I would like something that is easy to use on a tall ladder.

Is the Wagner Paint Crew any good?

What about the Graco systems? I see lots of them on Craigslist.

Any input or related stories are appreciated.

Thanks,

PB

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I picked up a Wagner Paint Crew and love it. I can't speak to any other brand, it is the first and only model I've ever used so compared to other brands it might be a piece of junk? What I do know is that it worked great for me. It is fairly easy to clean, easy to set up, etc.
:myopinion:

Attachments

• 20573.jpg
    20573.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 48

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks Bob,

Can you get (or put on) a longer hose? Like I said, I have to go up pretty high.

PB

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I would presume you could use a longer hose, but I don't know if Wagner sells a longer one. If you want a longer one, you might have to get a different brand? Also I don't know how it would affect spray pressure at various elevations, any pump can only pump UP so high. I don't have a clue as to the upper limit. I know I was spraying a 16' ceiling and it had no issues, I can't imagine it would have any issues at the limit of the 25' hose either. Don't know how it would like 50' of elevation?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
What about the Graco systems? I see lots of them on Craigslist.PB

I think thisi s a Graco XR-9 we used to paint around 2500' of 4 board horse fence. Seemed to work fine. Used 170 gallons of paint though.

I added 50' to the 50' of hose that came with it. Works fine on level ground. The book recommends a total of 75'.

With the 5 gallons of paint and the long hose you can cover a lot of ground before having to change paint buckets or move the spray rig.

The pic is of the house yard fence the day we started, you can see the new pasture fence in the background.

Jim

Attachments

• MVC-012S.JPG
    MVC-012S.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 45

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I picked up a Wagner Paint Crew and love it...It is fairly easy to clean, easy to set up, etc.

:wave: Hey Bob, I have some questions about this sprayer. My brother-in-law gave me this Paint Crew sprayer brand new and I haven't even gotten it out of the box yet. I know I want to use it, I just haven't used a paint sprayer before. Can you give me any general tips for using any paint sprayer or any tips for this sprayer specifically? Also, what is involved in cleaning this thing? I think I should be able to spray two coats of paint on my house in one day as it's a 1,500 sq ft rectangle, so I hopefully will only have to clean it once for this project. I finally have my house scraped, bleached, and primed after months of working on it at night and a few weekends. I plan to paint the whole exterior in a few weekends.

Lawrence

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I would presume you could use a longer hose, but I don't know if Wagner sells a longer one. If you want a longer one, you might have to get a different brand? Also I don't know how it would affect spray pressure at various elevations, any pump can only pump UP so high. I don't have a clue as to the upper limit. I know I was spraying a 16' ceiling and it had no issues, I can't imagine it would have any issues at the limit of the 25' hose either. Don't know how it would like 50' of elevation?

Good point on the height issue. I've experienced that using whimpy air compressors.

Do you pour the paint into the Wagner Paint Crew? That Graco looked pretty slick sucking out of a 5 Gallon bucket!

I hate painting and clean-up almost as much as I hate having contractors around my house.. I'm prepared to spend $$ to make it as easy as possible.

Thanks again Bob and Jim!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
buckle97 said:
two coats of paint on my house in one day as it's a 1,500 sq ft rectangle,

#$%# show off! :D

Since you'll be done so quickly you can get yer butt up here and paint my way too big house!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA . . . The one downside that I see with the Wagner unit is it has a hopper on the top that you pour the paint into. It gravity feeds down into the pump.

The downside is that it doesn't suck the paint right out of a 5 gallon pail.
The upside is that it doesn't require a larger, more expensive pump to not only suck up out of a pail but also to push the paint out through the hose.

This is one of those purchases where I reasoned that paying for professional tools was unnecessary for MY NEEDS because I was just painting the interior of my new garage. With my arthritis, I did not like the concept of using a roller on a stick and having my arms/back hurt for 2 weeks after the fact. For under $100 I got the sprayer and got the job done in a couple hours (and that included masking off the access door and 5 windows).

Buckle. . .
its idiot proof to use this thing and I am living proof of that! You clean it by running water through it. The nozzle assembly comes apart and can be set into water.

I sprayed primer coat and then a latex paint. It did a great job with the primer. I found the latex paint, I think it was Home Depot brand???, dried pretty quick and it did clog the nozzle a couple times. It was no big deal to clean the nozzle in mid job, but it was not really a great thing to have to stop the job to do the task. If I were to do it again I would carefully read the paint bucket or go to a paint store and ask for a paint that was designed to be sprayed.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the advice Bob.
I rolled/brushed the primer on the house because I had done so much scraping. I wanted to make sure I got a good coat of primer on every inch of wood. Having not sprayed before, I was afraid I might not get the primer in every spot. I swear there wasn't a square inch on the whole house where paint wasn't peeling.
I think I will see about getting a paint that works well with spraying. I'm still sore from all the scraping, but I really would like to get my house painting done before Glenn9643 does :respect: . Of course that just means the mildew can start growing on my house first:mad: .

Lawrence

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"I really would like to get my house painting done before Glenn9643 does :respect:"

I've been working at mine on and off but decided to prepare and paint each section before moving to the next. Borrowed a couple of sets of scaffolding and a 20' aluminum scaffoldboard and it allowed me to work a 25-30' section at a time. I rolled/brushed both primer and paint; the previous paint job was sprayed on (many years ago) and I felt I would get a better job with the brush and roller. I had some 1" cypress boards in my shop that I used to replace a lot of bad woodwork as I went, also that required time to tear out and fabricate what was required. So far I've used about fifty tubes of caulking (with an old fashioned manual caulking gun). Its been a slow job and I've saved the worst for the last. I'm still looking at a gable end with about a 30' wall and it's got windows the full length (a glassed in porch). Something's not right about the window installations I think because of the amount of peeling paint on the trim around them, so I'm afraid they'll require a lot of work other than just scraping and painting. Then about a 16' wall with a 6' picture window that won't be too bad. Can't say right now if I'll finish in a week or a month. My wife is having problems again and we'll spend at least three days this week with doctors and who knows what's coming.

buckle97

SUPER Site Supporter
Glenn, sorry to hear about your wife. What will we do with all the time we have on our hands when this painting is over :confused2: .

Lawrence

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Well I'm glad I have Hardi-plank and just need to give it nice coat to freshen it up. I do have a lot of cedar trim that will need some work and lots of caulk that needs to be removed and re-done.

I really dread working on the ladder. It's tiring and a hassle to get down and move all the time.

Wish I could borrow some scaffolding but I already have twice the tools and equipment than all my nearest friends.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Wish I could borrow some scaffolding
Consider renting it. Many rental places have it and it makes life easy!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Consider renting it. Many rental places have it and it makes life easy!

The problem with renting is the commitment. I feel like I have to work my butt off while I have the stuff rented. If I have it lying around then I can take my slow a$$ time getting the project done. Don't tell my wife that - she'd make me rent everything!:whistle:

Glenn9643

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
"What will we do with all the time we have on our hands when this painting is over"

I built a 24x40 shop with drop-sheds on all four sides about six years ago and I've never painted the siding on it, so I guess it's next. I used Hardi-plank lapsiding and it is protected from sun and rain by the drop-sheds but I would like to get it finished while I'm at it. No hurry, but probably the next project unless another equipment shed moves up in priority. Would really like to have a 30X60 so everything wouldn't be jammed in around my shop.