• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Garden

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I planted my corn and the seed just turned mushy. About two weeks ago I tilled it over and replanted. It is now about an inch out of the ground. My peas, well they are about 3" out of the ground right now.

We have frost warnings out for tomorrow night. Forecast says it could get down to 30 degrees with wind chills down to 20. With that cold of a wind chill it could do damage I am sure. :sad:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Heck we can't even plant here the ground is so wet. We've had more rain than I can remember in I don't know how long. Several area roads are impassible to cars (but not to trucks/SUVs) and there is no way to get a tractor out without sinking it into the earth.

I've got a bunch of flats sitting out, with plants growing root bound in them and now way to get them out to the garden area.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Bob it has been pretty wet here too. Like I said my first planting of corn the seed after two weeks had shriveled up to a small bugger and nothing sprouted at all. I did have some good warm days with wind to dry it out enough to plant. The JD Flex 71 has made it easier to.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
It must be tough being up north.

We've cut our first broccoli and pulled our first beets. Stopped cutting asparagus. The peas are four foot high and flowering. First tomatoes have set and peppers are flowering and looking good. The potatoes are about 3' high and setting flowers but I haven't looked to see if there's anything under ground. The eggplants were attacked by mites but I think I've got that under control. The squash are growing like weeds and the cantalope are doing ok. The onions and rutabagas are coming along nicely. The cabbages are starting to fill out. The carrots are a bit slow. They are only about an inch long but the tops are big and healthy.

The sad thing is that the lettuces are starting to bolt so we are close to having to shut them down for the summer. We'll get more in the ground for fall.

All in all, it's shaping up to be a good year. :clap::clap::clap:

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Almost everything is up, and we put out the tomato and pepper plants last week. Not sure if still up to date, but despite the news warning of potential frost, I'm not going to bother covering anything.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
They have upped the forecast some. Now they have to low down to 34 so I don't think I will be covering anything either.

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Frank you're a cruel man describing that harvest while we have new reports of a freeze.

Maybe some Canadians will post about their gardens so us northern folk can :poke: them. :shifty:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
First and second planting of peas are up and growing good. Onions and lettuce are good. I put out 18 tomatoes cause they were so tall and root bound. Planted broccoli and pumpkins and cucumbers. Seeded radishes.beets,green beans and limas.Been 2 weeks since first planting of corn and no sprouts yet. Will reseed the corn this week.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well it got down to 29 degrees and when I got up there was frost all over the place. I went out right away and sprayed water on everything getting the frost off. Not that it would help much but I figured that I was quicker than the sun. But as of this morning it does not look like anything was hurt. Both the corn and the peas are looking good yet this morning.

murph

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Wife and I spent about 2 hours yesterday digging out flowers and covering garden plants. We did not have a lot of frost but it was 27 degrees and I had ice in the bird baths and fish pond. So far everything looks good. More of the same tonight so we are going to leave all the buckets and pots on the vegetables. Still no sign of corn or beans sprouting out. Maybe the soil temp is just too cold yet.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
The potatoes are about 3' high and setting flowers but I haven't looked to see if there's anything under ground.

Frank i have done Potatoes this year but not sure on when they would be ready...they are like yours about 3' high but the flower part is new to me...could you give me a little more info on what im looking for...they were planted about 12 weeks ago??

Thanks for any help.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
As a last minute decision we are going to be planting potatoes tonight. We had a really bad year with the Colorado Potato bug last year and did not get any potatoes at all. We were told to not plant for one year. We will plant in a totally different area and see if that helps.

murph

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Frank i have done Potatoes this year but not sure on when they would be ready...they are like yours about 3' high but the flower part is new to me...could you give me a little more info on what im looking for...they were planted about 12 weeks ago??

Thanks for any help.

What varieties? Some are ready sooner than others. I start digging at about 9-10 weeks. Other varieties will take longer.

Galvatron

What varieties? Some are ready sooner than others. I start digging at about 9-10 weeks. Other varieties will take longer.

Crap now i need to find the name...i do know off hand they are of a baby new potato type and we did do a small crop in a pot for this reason for checking....o wife says they were called Paris Piper.(in the UK so a brand maybe not known to all).

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
Crap now i need to find the name...i do know off hand they are of a baby new potato type and we did do a small crop in a pot for this reason for checking....o wife says they were called Paris Piper.(in the UK so a brand maybe not known to all).

Guess I never heard of that variety, the best way to test, especially if it is a baby potato type is to dig up a plant. They should be ready to start eating. A baby potato will not get that big, however I had a variety last year that was not supposed to get that big and by the end of the season there was a lot of nice sized potatoes.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Galv, never heard of them. I haven't checked on mine for a couple of days, just walked around and looked at them. It'll be Wednesday before I get a chance to turn over some dirt and see what I've got. I'm excited to see if there is anything there. The peas have some pods on them and I checked a couple of those .... sweet. We'll probably have our first real taste on Wednesday too.

Galvatron

Guess I never heard of that variety, the best way to test, especially if it is a baby potato type is to dig up a plant. They should be ready to start eating. A baby potato will not get that big, however I had a variety last year that was not supposed to get that big and by the end of the season there was a lot of nice sized potatoes.

Galv, never heard of them. I haven't checked on mine for a couple of days, just walked around and looked at them. It'll be Wednesday before I get a chance to turn over some dirt and see what I've got. I'm excited to see if there is anything there. The peas have some pods on them and I checked a couple of those .... sweet. We'll probably have our first real taste on Wednesday too.

Thanks guys...now im not doing big scale on the Potatoes or any of the veggies at that matter but i will keep ya informed and grab pics of the crops i get.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Due to the amount of rain we've had this year the garden is going in VERY late in the season. Most of the transplants roots are potbound so I'm not really sure how well we will do with getting a productive garden. :mellow:

But, at least we are getting started.

I've got 120' rows tilled 4' wide. I'm trying several different things. Some of the plants are planted with a scoop of coffee/compost mix in each hole, some are just planted in the heavy clay soil. I've got some planted through plastic weed barrier/mulch sheeting, some not. I'm curious to see the differences in each area of the garden.

So far I've got a full row (3 wide) of Cauliflower planted, a half row rutabagas (4 wide) a half row of cukes and squash (2 wide), a few watermelons for the heck of it, and I'm starting on the peppers and tomatoes.

BUT OF COURSE, I'm now taking a break due to MORE RAIN!!!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We stopped cutting asparagus and are letting it grow. It was good while it lasted.

I dug up one of the potato plants (Yukon Gold) just to see what was happening. I got 8 small potatoes. Just boiled them and served with butter. They were beautiful.

Green peas are being harvested and are really sweet.

The broccoli is coming on strong now and is excellent.

The first of the onions are getting to eating size. Pulled a few just to check them out. They're sweet. Thinned out the 3rd planting and using them in as spring onions in salads, etc.

The lettuce is still going strong. Some of them bolted but still more than enough to keep us in green stuff every day.

Picked some squash at the miniature stage and sautéed them. Wonderful. The plants themselves are huge so once they start producing in earnest we should be swamped.

Pulled some red beets and my wife cooked them. Good. The golden beets are a little slow but should be about ready when we clear all the red ones.

Some of the tomato plants have fruit on them. The Italian Tree tomatoes are about 6' tall but no fruit yet. Lots of flowers.

The peppers and eggplants are setting tons of flowers and I picked a couple of little ichibans just to see.

The cantalope, cabbage, rutabegas and leeks seem to be doing just fine but are a little slow.

And the best thing of all, is that I haven't had to weed my garden yet. At the beginning of the year I hauled 6 round bales of bad hay from the farm and laid some out as mulch covering the garden. I pulled it back and planted the veggies in little holes in the hay. There's been the occasional weed come up, usually where the hay is a little thin, but very, very few. Amazing. I may be getting close to the end of my 25 year quest for a no work garden. It's not the prettiest garden you've ever seen but the hay seems to keep the soil a little cooler, which will help when we get to August, and it cuts down on the amount of watering required. We'll see how it goes the rest of the year but it's encouraging so far.

It's shaping up to be a good, good year.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Our garden is going good. Everything is up and weeds are down. This year we decided not to have potatoes because last year we had so many Potato Beetles that literally destroyed all of our potatoes. We were told to hold off a year. However we had two rows in our garden that was empty and we had some potatoes rooted already in the garage so I planted them. The dang potatoes are not even an inch out of the ground and are full of the beetles already. Yesterday my wife put one of the four different powders on and it has not effected the beetles at all. If you walk in the corn and pea rows or any rows and you will find beetles walking towards the potatoes. They also ripped into out tomato plants. :hammer::hammer: What can a guy go we have used everything that we are aware of and it does not bother the beetles at all?

murph

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Our garden is going good. Everything is up and weeds are down. This year we decided not to have potatoes because last year we had so many Potato Beetles that literally destroyed all of our potatoes. We were told to hold off a year. However we had two rows in our garden that was empty and we had some potatoes rooted already in the garage so I planted them. The dang potatoes are not even an inch out of the ground and are full of the beetles already. Yesterday my wife put one of the four different powders on and it has not effected the beetles at all. If you walk in the corn and pea rows or any rows and you will find beetles walking towards the potatoes. They also ripped into out tomato plants. :hammer::hammer: What can a guy go we have used everything that we are aware of and it does not bother the beetles at all?

murph

Have you tried Seven?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
REDDOGTWO said:
Have you tried Seven?
No pest problems in my garden this year. At least not yet. Then again we barely have ours planted, and those plants we have could only be described as seedlings. Damn rain has been our bane.

I'm waiting, however, for the squash bugs to appear. We get hammered with them every year. I'd really like to find a good ORGANIC pest control. Something like SEVEN may be good for potatoes where you spray it on the leaves and the edible part is under ground, but the squash beetles seem to be all over our plants, fruit included. I don't like spraying pesticides on the things I actually put in my mouth!!!

I wonder if Murph is looking for something that is less toxic?

Last edited by a moderator:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Have you tried Seven?

You mean Sevin right? And yes. There is four different types and you are to switch them as the Potato Beetle gets ammuned to them if not alternated. My wife dusted the leaves Saturday and on Sunday morning they were thick eating right through the white powder. :hammer:

I picked everyone off and dumped them in a can of diesel fuel. If I walk through the rest of my garden the beetles are all over headed towards the potato area. :hammer:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
What can I say about my spelling after a long day in the field?

The only other suggestion that I would have then other than hand picking them off is bird shot.