• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

old NASCAR

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Interesting... I like the old "aero" cars; Superbirds, Daytona's, Charger 500's from the late 60's NASCAR. It is amazing the price they bring these days.

Although I am not a big fan of the Ford's from those days, I am still surprised when I look at Ebay etc, to never see the old Torino Talladega's.

I have seen a Talladega for sale a while back, in really clean shape. It was for $35k. That is really cheap compared to how expensive the Mopars are.

I looked at Ebay today. There was a bunch of Superbirds on there.

Too bad they don't race cars like that now... Real cars, with roots from the real street cars.

rback33

Hangin in Tornado Alley
SUPER Site Supporter
I am not a big race fan, but I agree with this. They called them "stock" cars for a reason.

RoadKing

Silver Member
Site Supporter
Like anything else that's successful, when anything gets so big that's it's turned over to bean counters. It goes right to h#ll because all they care about is the BEANS.I used to race years ago when the backyarder still could compete. It was great. Now racing has gone the way of all sports, rich men's toys. I know millions of people watch but I still say it's had nobler times.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
I quit watching NASCAR when they stopped using real cars. I gradually went back, but now with Toyota and COT, I've quit watching again. They even managed to ruin Bristol! It's just a circle jerk now like all the other tracks. Hutch

Hutchman

Site Supporter
Gotta watch those Superbirds. There's way more of 'em out there for sale now than were ever actually built. Just like Chevelle SSs.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been watching nascar all my life and it sure has seen its changes over the years. Gone are the days of the "stock" car. We used to have a racecar back in the 80's when our local track was still open.

When I was a kid, a vacation for us was to jump in the motorhome for a few weeks and hit as many dirt tracks along the northern states and Canada that we could. Lots of great memories and racing.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Do not tell me my old 1970 Torino fast back, 4 on the floor, 351 Cleveland, dual pump 750 Holley carb is now worth something.............

Loved that car

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
And Petty's antics made it almost impossible to cheat these days. NASCAR also used to be a little about being an outlaw. Now it's commercialized bs as far as I am concerned.

I could kick my ass - the cars I had from 16 to 24. If I had only kept them all. Worth at least a million today. Damn.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Do not tell me my old 1970 Torino fast back, 4 on the floor, 351 Cleveland, dual pump 750 Holley carb is now worth something.............

Loved that car

It is probably worth more than you think. They show up on Ebay.

It just really surprises me the Torino Talladega does not fetch anything near what the Superbirds and Daytona's get. Mopar did have to make more variations than Ford did; there were not as many Talladega's made. And, they did not have the "track" engine/tranny combinations for sale. They came with a 428/auto, even though they raced with a 427/manual. Fomoco did sell the engines and trannies in other cars. There were definitely more restrictions for sales on the Hemi cars.

It is interesting too, because the Talladega's did well; Mopar did not just run away with everything.

FWIW, one of my other favorite cars, is the Torino like Aussie Fort Falcon GTHO. 351 Clevo, 4spd, right hand drive...

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I quit watching NASCAR when they stopped using real cars. I gradually went back, but now with Toyota and COT, I've quit watching again.

Would be more interesting, if at least they had to run engine/tranny combinations that were produced for production cars. Even for all their tube chassis and everything.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Like anything else that's successful, when anything gets so big that's it's turned over to bean counters. It goes right to h#ll because all they care about is the BEANS.I used to race years ago when the backyarder still could compete. It was great. Now racing has gone the way of all sports, rich men's toys. I know millions of people watch but I still say it's had nobler times.

Local tracks still run. Down the hill from me, All American Speedway, a 1/3 mile paved oval runs street stocks, and claimers. They have a class for interceptors like the car Sushi is trying to sell. Only thing you can do to those cars is remove some interior, add a roll bar, and go race. Street tires, stock engines, claim it for $1500.

Up the hill they run street stocks on the dirt 1/4 mile.

k-dog

I quit watching NASCAR when they stopped using real cars. I gradually went back, but now with Toyota and COT, I've quit watching again. They even managed to ruin Bristol! It's just a circle jerk now like all the other tracks. Hutch

Bristol WAS my favorite track and the COT killed it. No more bump and runs????
NASCAR has become an automotive version of WWE except for NASCAR won't admit a lot of things they do are to make things more exciting. The mystery caution flags, these drivers throwing little fits trying to be like Bill Elliot and Dale Earnhardt.
And the announcers, don't get me started on those or the amount of commercials crammed into the race. Back in the day the races used to drop the green flag at 12:00pm and we didn't have all this pre-race BS and the post race talked to the drivers where as now they talk to the top 5 for a second and sign off.

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Gotta watch those Superbirds. There's way more of 'em out there for sale now than were ever actually built. Just like Chevelle SSs.

I have noticed that. Although, it would be fun to have a clone, that you could really drive, instead of flogging a collector car.

Hutchman

Site Supporter
Not knocking the clones. You've just gotta watch for the ones they try to pass off as real. I've been considering building a clone SS Chevelle. Lord knows I can't afford the real thing.
I'd like to see the drivers dukin' it out in the pits again. Ya wouldn't see so many of these guys mouthing off once they got knocked down a time or two. The sponsors don't like that though-hurts their image. I've gotta start going back to the local tracks for some real racin'.