• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Home Office Furniture

AndyM

Charter Member
We have a 9 x 9 Den on the first floor of our house where we have our computers and other miscellaneous home office type things. It's small and crowded, but it's the best location at this time (without building a room in the basement, which is how we handled it at our old house) or adding on to the house (which is expensive).

At this time, I've decided the old kitchen table and the $29 Walmart computer desk that shakes when the printer is printing are ready to be retired. I'm looking for something that matches the oak trim in the room, is relatively low cost, large enough for both computers and both users and very space efficient.

Here's what I'm looking at right now...
http://www.id-furniture.com/xplatform/index.php
I liked the flexibility of their configurations and the fact I could see how it would fit in the room using their "design studio". Mrs. AndyM doesn't like the price, but I want something that will hold up over the years and where we will be comfortable in our computing.

What are others using and are you satisified?

Here's what we currently have... (the file cabinet and computer desk are ready for the burn pile!)

Attachments

• 2006-08 (August)-06 002.jpg
    2006-08 (August)-06 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 114

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Andy,
You DO NOT wanna see what I'm using here. There's still boxes stacked up from when we moved in 7 years ago. This room is a pig sty :whistle:

I don't think you want to do any major construction if you and Heather are still looking to relocate. Have you checked out Oak Express over in Youngstown/Boardman? The stores here in Columbus have some sweet computer/home office desks.

Oak Express
444 Boardman-Canfield Rd.
Boardman, OH 44512

Here's their website

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Andy, I would take a photo of what we have, but it simply embarasses me with the way it looks right now as my daughter has heaped her toys in a large pile over part of it. I built 'built in' computer/study desk area in our family room that is roughly 12' long. They can be built inexpensively or can be very expensive depending on your choice of materials.

Consider buying 3 "base cabinets" from your local hardware/home center and then getting a custom Formica counter top that you can simply put on top to span the full 9' span of the wall. If you use 3 - 15" or 18" wide base cabinets, you could place one in the center, and then one on each end. If you buy something that is in-stock you can often get very good deals. The only thing that is special order is the counter top. But Formica is durable, available in attractive (and some butt ugly) colors, and modestly priced. The downside is that a standard countertop is only 24" deep and a typical desk is 28" to 30" deep. But based on your photo, you could pull the base units a few inches away from the wall and use a deep counter if you chose to do so. The advantage is that you get a built in look, and it fills the whole space with one continuous surface.

Base cabinets can be had in many configurations including multiple file drawers, cabinets and drawers, etc.

Also, there is nothing that requires you to attach this to the wall, you can simply set them into place, and drop the counter top on top. It will not move around. You can take the whole set up to another room or another house if you wish to move it.

I would honstly believe you could build something for less than the cost of the modular units in your link.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I use a couple of these guys...

john.jpg

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Dave,

Two questions....

1) Are you for real about the furniture? And

2) Does your robot listen any better that the one in the movie?.....:burp:

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Cowboyjg said:
Dave,

Two questions....

1) Are you for real about the furniture? And

2) Does your robot listen any better that the one in the movie?.....:burp:

The furniture is for real, but I don't really have one.

My robot is dead.....I shot it in frustration one day. :eek:

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Because my wife and I are into antiques and such I took a couple of pedal type sewing machine bases and put new tops on them. One has a piece of granite I had left over from one of my remodel jobs. The other has a top made from antique t&g flooring. We have a couple of small antique tables for the printer and such.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I picked up a free, solid mahogany library desk. It measures 60"X34". I've got crap stacked all over it right now, but it works great for my computer desk. It has a center drawer, and 2 drawers on one side, and 3 on the other. It came out of a Doctors office that was getting all new stuff. This thing must be close to 50 years olde.:burp::tiphat:

Gatorboy

Well Andy, I have some furniture from IKEA. The computer desk comes with a shelf above and a platform to hold your PC off the ground. You can buy add-ons for this as well. I have of swivel platforms that can hold up to 50 pounds. If you look at mine, I have my laser printer and TV on the two I have. Other items are also available such as folder and CD holders.

The other table is a bit larger and has drawers you can add to the underside. I have one set of two drawers off to the left which are out of view in the picture. Underneath the table I keep a 2-drawer filing cabinet. I really like it and it was fairly inexpensive.

Ironically (for some of you) the name of this style of furniture from IKEA is JERKER. That's why I knew it was perfect for me! :thumb:

Attachments

• office.jpg
    office.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 60

AndyM

Charter Member
Well, this is a work in progress, but what I've done so far is already better than what I had before, and I've only got about 100 dollars into it so far!

We had an auction at work about a week ago to sell some unused factory and office equipment.

The auctioneers made a huge mistake (a mistake in my opinion, but to my benefit nonetheless!). All of the high dollar items that most people came for were sold during the first 3/4 of the auction. By the time the injection molding machines and forklifts, etc. were gone, most people left. This meant the remaining items like office furniture were being sold for dirt cheap to anyone still there.

I found a lot that consisted of a three foot deep desk and half of a "L" desk. I discovered this combination would cover the width of my den perfectly! I put it in the other day, and I've started to put in stock wall cabinets to hide any miscellaneous "junk".

Here's the before and after pictures...

Attachments

• 2006-08 (August)-06 002.jpg
    2006-08 (August)-06 002.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 2006-09 (September)-03 005.jpg
    2006-09 (September)-03 005.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 42

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Mine is built in a similar way to what Bob suggests

The bit closest to the camera has an old school computer room desk under it, the back part is attached to the wall. Then a couple sheets of MDF cut to shape screwed on the top. its worked good for a couple years now. I also love having the desk on both sides of the seat.

Attachments

• 04-09-06_1005.jpg
    04-09-06_1005.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 35