• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Gas vs diesel in older tucker?

Just curious, ive had a gas engine model, 318. Fairly familiar with what it is, how it works in the real world conditions etc. But I'd like to hear from those that may have Detroit diesel powered models from the 70'-80's.

And especially from those that have experience with both. Thoughts on fuel efficiency, dependability, power, noise or any other notable differences?

Thanks!

About a year ago a local auction sold a Detroit diesel tucker i believe was around a 1980 model. I sold my 318 gas powered unit quite a while back, the diesel unit that sold near me got me wondering if it could have cost efficiency advantages for operating?
I imagine the engine rpm operating ranges are Similar between the 2, but the diesel is a 2 stroke... so would it burn more fuel or less fuel?

Maybe no difference?

olympicorange

……… I would like to hear from the Detroit guys also,... now if you wanna look at a cool green machine(engine), that has a ''unique'' sound, and smells different,... or go ''diesel'' deaf , like me, jump behind the wheel. I think most owner's have headsets. the 'ol saying about the ''screaming mee-mee's'',.. was something like...''they can smell a hill a mile away'',... being a 2-stroke engine is unique , on it's own. like an old saab , etc.. etc. so it has to stay ''wound up'' ,,... most of the time (all? ) … they were never that hard on fuel, but they sure do love oil,... I've never run one in a tucker, but lot's of others. ( I know there's good one's , boat guys love them) . :thumbup:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
the jimmys run about half the rpm of the 318 they only sound like they are running at 4 k because they are firing twice as many times as a 4 stroke. here in ak the 2 cycle road oilers were king because they would start when cold the modern diesels now start much easyer. the only real draw backs to a Detroit is the noise and they seem prone to leaking. I have an old Euclid loader with a 6v71 that doesn't leak and yes the pan is full

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I am thinking the newest and largest of the Tucker machines that used the Detroit, used the turbo charged version of the 4 71.

Turbo's do seem to take the edge of the open exhaust of the naturally asperated versions... All Detroit diesels have a roots type super charger to feed them air. The turbo versions have more power and larger injectors to match..

I have owned a in line 6 71 Detroit, and it was a good engine.. Parts might be getting harder to find for them however.

Regards, Kirk

luvthemvws

As my old timer, truck driving friend once told me: "if you took a PICTURE of a Detroit and laid it on the floor, by the next morning there would be a puddle of oil around it!"

The picture, would leak oil? Bahahahaaaa that's a good one lol!

Does anyone have an idea on a 1500 series, gas vs diesel which one may be more affordable to feed fuel to?

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We had a Sno-Cat with a 4-53T DD engine. I don't think Tucker used the 4-71 but then they tried just about everything. I don't recall fuel consumption but I will say this: go drive one for a while before taking the time and $ to install one. From a practical stand point, the noise of one of these, you will not make friends with the other users of the snow, especially the skinny ski set. Even for the died in the wool DD guys, the noise gets to you.

I remember when Detroit came out with the V-8 four stroke engine to compete with Cat's 3208. I went to check it out and there was rust on the engine, brand new in the crate. I pointed this out to the salesman and he told me how proud they were of the rust. Won't see it on any other of their engines.

My $.01

I run a classic auto restoration shop and one of my customers is an equipment guy. He's a DD fan, he says he's run mufflers on his detroits and didn't mind the noise. But tuckers are noisy anyways, track noise.

olympicorange

We had a Sno-Cat with a 4-53T DD engine. I don't think Tucker used the 4-71 but then they tried just about everything. I don't recall fuel consumption but I will say this: go drive one for a while before taking the time and $ to install one. From a practical stand point, the noise of one of these, you will not make friends with the other users of the snow, especially the skinny ski set. Even for the died in the wool DD guys, the noise gets to you.

I remember when Detroit came out with the V-8 four stroke engine to compete with Cat's 3208. I went to check it out and there was rust on the engine, brand new in the crate. I pointed this out to the salesman and he told me how proud they were of the rust. Won't see it on any other of their engines.

My $.01

……. ahhh,... the old 8.2L ''fuel-pincher'' ,... yeah was kind of a let down. blue though. I lost track of how many headgaskets & bolts ive upgraded on those... dial-indicate the injectors,.... 4 stroke made a difference in volume. totally agree about the decibals of the 2-stokers....

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
Ha Ha Ha !!!!! Yes Scott that is a good one rust on a Detroit is a very very rare occurrence, When I was just a kid Granddad put a 4-71 in a HD-6 farm cat and I was the one that got to run it for along time. Everyone for miles around could tell when I was farming and what part of the field I was on cause you could sure tell when I was pulling a hill, or just running across the flats. Ah the good old days when you could turn a 14 year old kid loose with a piece of equipment and they actually worked.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Disclaimer: I've never owned, or even operated, a Diesel powered Tucker! I've come pretty close a couple of times to buying one, but it just hasn't happened...yet. Typically, the Diesels were installed in 1700 series machines which are a heavier-duty model. Those weigh a fair bit more than the 1600 series, which means less flotation compared to a 1600.

A few years ago there was a new forum member, VXclimber 180, who had purchased a 2742, as I recall out of Canada and that had a Detroit 4-53T engine. He made some youtube videos of it and you can hear the sound/noise. My impression is at first one would like the unique sound, but it would grow old...fast. Here's a link to one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjClWSJQfw

Tucker offered different Diesel options, though it seems the Detroit 4-53T was the most common. The Tuckers ordered by Aleyska for pipeline use had those engines.

I personally am not a fan of the Chrysler Industrial V-8s. For me, in a Tucker used in deep snow at higher elevation, they seem way under powered. I'll also mention that as a general rule - I lack patience; just ask my wife!

But I also realize there is no such thing as a "best" Tucker, in terms of cab configuration, track length or power train. People's needs and wants are different, as are their budgetary considerations. Different terrain, different elevation and different snow conditions all impact what works best in a particular location, as well as for a particular person. For me, I like a powerful LS series V-8 engine and Allison AT545 combination. But that's just me...

I'll also admit, and this is not a good thing, that as one project comes to a close, new ideas start to fester and percolate in my brain. Fester is probably a better word because it's like an infected wound that won't heal or go away. I'm trying to resist temptations regarding the '86 1544...

Well I will confess, its a 1542D that's currently pulling at my heart strings. Engine is a 4-53, non turbo. 4 spd trans.

I would have had it purchased by now if I didn't have prior plans with the family for the weekend.

I know it's going to be noisy but the price is good enough to buy it, run it for a while as is and do something like an LS/4L80 swap. (Which we can easily do, that's the sort of work we are into, being a hot rod shop).

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
You are welcome to listen to 18 minutes of my Tucker that was recorded with a GoPro mounted in the cab at the top of the windshield at the event in McCall. I tried to make it quieter in the cab by completely insulating the cab and the hood. I was not aware that they used the non-turbo version of the 453. When doing some research I found that all 453T flywheel to fan industrial motors were built in Brazil but not the non-turbo ones. If I remember correctly it got about 2 mpg on a 20 mile round trip with elevation from 2000-5400 and back in deep powder. The 453T attracts the curious but it is short lived after they have heard it for more than a few minutes.

052ca5289218a4406a3cd3b7f5c6e613.jpg

https://youtu.be/jM70uvnrbHM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olympicorange

……. BFT, do you know what the other diesel options were , back in the day ?? besides the ''screaming Mee-Mee'' . it's like buying a new pick-up; the price difference between a gas engine VS. the price of a diesel... (10K) . that probably had a lot to do with the rarity of the diesel versions. i'm pretty sure Scott has the insight on my question..... :thumbup:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
there was a 903 cummins v6 they are a rare critter and have been made obsolete like the fuel pincher detroits

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
……. BFT, do you know what the other diesel options were , back in the day ?? besides the ''screaming Mee-Mee'' . it's like buying a new pick-up; the price difference between a gas engine VS. the price of a diesel... (10K) . that probably had a lot to do with the rarity of the diesel versions. i'm pretty sure Scott has the insight on my question..... :thumbup:

They offered a number of Diesel engines, though certain engines were only available in certain models.

Detroit 4-53 and 4-53T (turbocharged)

Cummins V-378-C and VT-378-C (turbocharged) The predecessor of the 6BT, these were a V-6 configuration.

Perkins 6.354 and T6.354 (turbocharged)

I don't have the remotest clue what Tucker's pricing was on basically anything, let alone Diesel engine option prices...I'm very curious though!

olympicorange

thanks BFT, ...roger that. I know of two with the v-6 cummins. one just below the notch ( which was a thread on here a few yrs. ago), and one up in maine. been trying to acquire for some time , but they won't let it go....persistence is the key. I would love to see the perkins model …. a much quieter option than the D D . wonder which model cats they were an option in.....

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
thanks BFT, ...roger that. I know of two with the v-6 cummins. one just below the notch ( which was a thread on here a few yrs. ago), and one up in maine. been trying to acquire for some time , but they won't let it go....persistence is the key. I would love to see the perkins model …. a much quieter option than the D D . wonder which model cats they were an option in.....

As I understand it, the Cummins V-378-C and VT-378-C were available in the 1600 series, as well as heavier duty machines.

All the Diesel engine options were available in the 1700 and 2700 series Tuckers.

Several years ago there was a VT-378-C powered 2744 (wide-track, four door) for sale in the Lake Tahoe area. Fairly low hours and nice condition: I had some serious lust for that machine, but it was one of those "wants" that I couldn't come close to justifying. "Because it's cool" doesn't seem like a valid reason. I also did some research on the Cummins V-378-C, and its turbocharged brother. I don't think I found a single source that raved about the engine. Most said it was a mediocre design, and parts were Uber-expensive.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

Of course they used 3208 Cats in cats and a very few Perkins powered machines (4-6)

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
Do you run around 1800-2000 rpm with yours? I think I got 1 mpg with my 318 gas 1342. Flat land, Minnesota.

Yes, it likes to run about 1900 rpm and that is where it sounds good. I have run it as high as 2300 but sounds like it may come apart.

Mill666er

SUPER Site Supporter
This Camo Tucker had a Cummins in it, It was at the last Leavenworth and first Mt Hood event. I believe his name was Joe and was from the Tri-Cities area of WA and quite a character.

c955a7ede18c5d51bc453deafc43843e.jpg

52446ff8367c0d43653d18569e692c67.jpg