• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hurricane Michael ... we are leaving Florida this morning

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We already had plans to depart Florida this morning, totally independent of this new storm so our travel is not impacted but we do expect to hit evacuation traffic from Category 4 Hurricane Michael. Local news is showing a lot of panicked politicians on TV and a lot of local residents who seem pretty laid back.

Our plans today are to meet friends in Atlanta for dinner so we will be leaving Florida's northeast coast about 9am.

Weather on this side of the state is still nice. There were bands of rain from the outer swirling weather from Hurricane Michael but overall we've had good weather.

Apparently the storm will pass over the Florida panhandle, cross northeast over Atlanta, GA later, and move into South Carolina. My guess is that we will get more rain while we are visiting Atlanta, as the storm is projected to remain a Category 1 over the state of Georgia as it tracks northeast toward the Atlantic Ocean.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck! From NE FL to Atlanta kind of seems like you're evacuating towards the storm instead of away from it...

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck! From NE FL to Atlanta kind of seems like you're evacuating towards the storm instead of away from it...

Pretty much.

But as I look out at the ocean I see sunshine and a reasonably calm surf.

There are 2 ways out of here, north to Savanah, GA before going NW toward Atlanta or, the faster route is westbound toward the inland before we turn north and run straight up to Atlanta. We will take the faster route. I expect to be meeting the rain and driving through the rain for part of the trip.

Hurricane Michael will bring rain to this part of Florida but probably no actual impact. It is still hundreds of miles away.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rain-X on the windshield will definitely help your visibility when you hit the rain.
I just checked Atlanta's weather and you'll beat the storm there, traffic permitting.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a brother and his family that lives in the Panhandle. He's 45 miles North of Destin Beach. They plan on riding it out. Even when they've had tropical storms, all of his driveway gets washed out. There's no soil, just all sand. This morning he said they were getting rain and 45 MPH winds. Hope he can stay safe.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
To each his own.

Having worked out in the Gulf for several years, I've run from my fair share of hurricanes and been caught by a couple. It depends a lot on where you are but generally my inclination is to get the hell out of Dodge.

My S-I-L is working as a camp host at a State Park just north-east of Atlanta, near Winder, until January. It looks as if the storm will run right over her. By that time it should be lots of rain and a little gusty. I hope she is okay.

Bob, you be careful!!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
We made it out without any issues.

Went straight west to Lake City, Florida and started to catch some DRIZZLE. Turned north and went up the interstate through Valdosta, Macon, Atlanta and Dalton. Clouds but no rain for 80% of the trip. Caught a HEAVY band of rain outside of Macon.

Talked with the Atlanta friends and mutually decided that meeting up was a silly idea on this trip as we had dinner reservations downtown, at almost exactly the time the storm was supposed to hit Atlanta. So despite complaining from the backseat drivers I aimed the car for Chattanooga, TN and out of the path of the storm ... got there and decided to push forward, ended up driving all the way to Bloomington, IN and spent the night here, in Melen's apartment.

ALL of south Georgia was under a Hurricane Warning. Sheriffs cars were at the various 'tourist' stops along the interstate directing travelers away. Even the Pecan & Peach stores were "closed due to weather" south of Atlanta. Not sure if the nudie bars & strip joints were closed too?

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was wondering if you guys would be in the path of the hurricane.

Up here, we're closed off from the rest of the country apparently. To the east roughly 70 miles away, the highway splits in two. One highway follows the north shore of lake superior and is closed for an undetermined amount of time due to a washout. The other highway that heads north then eastward is closed due to accidents and snow.

To the west, the only highway heading to the Manitoba border is closed due to accidents and snow. Here in the city, it's freezing rain. Now I hear reports that by Saturday we could be feeling the aftermath of hurricane Michael.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter

Up here, we're closed off from the rest of the country apparently. To the east roughly 70 miles away, the highway splits in two. One highway follows the north shore of lake superior and is closed for an undetermined amount of time due to a washout. The other highway that heads north then eastward is closed due to accidents and snow.

To the west, the only highway heading to the Manitoba border is closed due to accidents and snow. Here in the city, it's freezing rain. Now I hear reports that by Saturday we could be feeling the aftermath of hurricane Michael.

Sounds like a fine day to get another cup of coffee and surf the net or read a good book! :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

We were actually not in the path of the storm at our condo. But our travel path home put us right through the storm. By leaving a few hours early and altering our plans mid-route, we managed to stay on the front edge of the storm, missing all the drama. Had we departed a few hours later we would have been in the heavy storm bands and too close to the eye. Turned out to be a very long, but easy drive.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
We were actually not in the path of the storm at our condo. But our travel path home put us right through the storm. By leaving a few hours early and altering our plans mid-route, we managed to stay on the front edge of the storm, missing all the drama. Had we departed a few hours later we would have been in the heavy storm bands and too close to the eye. Turned out to be a very long, but easy drive.

Glad you had a safe trip!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad that you had a safe trip home although long and tiring.

We haven't heard from my S-I-L. That's a little worrying as she usually checks in twice a day. She's probably busy.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My brother in Holt, FL rode out the storm. He has some big tree limbs down. But no damage the house. He hasn't checked his driveway or the road to see if it;s passable.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Just heard from my S-I-L. She and her dogs are okay. She did say that last night was pretty scary. She's living in her 5th wheel while hosting for 3 months at the State Park. She said it was rocking and rolling all night long. The winds were 50-60 mph sustained with higher gusts. She wasn't sure about the rainfall but guessed it was only about 6" and most of that came in a 20 minute period. There are lots of trees down in the park, roads blocked and half of the park is without power. She got everything tied down or put up before it hit. The only thing that she forgot was the mat outside the front door and she has no idea where that went, probably in the lake.

It's her day off today so she's going to tidy up around her site and see if she can get out later to visit kids and grandkids. Relief!!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Just heard from my S-I-L. She and her dogs are okay. She did say that last night was pretty scary. She's living in her 5th wheel while hosting for 3 months at the State Park. She said it was rocking and rolling all night long. The winds were 50-60 mph sustained with higher gusts. She wasn't sure about the rainfall but guessed it was only about 6" and most of that came in a 20 minute period. There are lots of trees down in the park, roads blocked and half of the park is without power. She got everything tied down or put up before it hit. The only thing that she forgot was the mat outside the front door and she has no idea where that went, probably in the lake.

It's her day off today so she's going to tidy up around her site and see if she can get out later to visit kids and grandkids. Relief!!!

Great to hear she and the pups are ok!