• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Should I get a REAL job?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmm.

I've been in consulting for 9 of the last 10 years (took a year off to get out of a non-compete).

For the past couple years, I've been working for myself through other firms.

There's a lot of work right now but looking towards next summer, it appears it's going to dry up quite a bit.

Got a call this morning from a very reputable organization who asked if I was interested in coming back to work for them. I worked for them as a consultant and an employee years ago.

So, what would you do? Risk a lack of work which may start next summer and stay as a consultant or get a job with an organization.

PRO's of taking the job:
I have a long-term position
They pay 1/2 of FICA

CON's of taking the job:
Pay would be about 70% of current
I will have to be on-call
I have to travel 80 miles/day (Right now, I work probably 95% of the time from home).
I have to pay parking ($90/month)
I have to put my daughter into the YMCA before and after school
I have to shave and all those other things you have to do when you work in an office.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Hmmmm.

I've been in consulting for 9 of the last 10 years (took a year off to get out of a non-compete).

For the past couple years, I've been working for myself through other firms.

There's a lot of work right now but looking towards next summer, it appears it's going to dry up quite a bit.

Got a call this morning from a very reputable organization who asked if I was interested in coming back to work for them. I worked for them as a consultant and an employee years ago.

So, what would you do? Risk a lack of work which may start next summer and stay as a consultant or get a job with an organization.

PRO's of taking the job:
They pay 1/2 of FICA

CON's of taking the job:
I have to travel 80 miles/day (Right now, I work probably 95% of the time from home).
I have to shave and all those other things you have to do when you work in an office.

Hi BC,

I thought of going back to work last summer and almost did. I've been lucky this winter to be busy but I don't know how long this level of work can last.

I'm really lucky that my wife works too and makes enough for us to not have to "worry" through the dry spells. If it was just my income then I think I'd go with the most stable and reliable option.

Putting your daughter in Daycare may or may not be that bad. It all depends on how good the place is and how old your daughter is.

I always think the choices in these matters are a tricky balance. It sure is nice to wear sweat pants to work almost everyday and not have to commute.

How long can you last without work?

PB

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mrs. Zoom also works which could probably hold us over if really needed but we keep her income for other things.

The bunker purchase set me back since we purchased without getting a mortgage but I would say I could go 6 months without work and not have to tighten the belt too much. Not sure yet what's going to happen with the bunker but that may bring in revenue as well.

My daughter doesn't care much for the YMCA program at the school but I don't think it would bother her much.

Hmmmm (again). After reading what I just wrote, financially, it wouldn't strap us too bad if I was out of work for awhile.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Face it - at the end of the day. Working for the man sucks!

Don't forget meetings, managers, and the joy of co-workers.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't see why you would take it from the figures posted. 70% less pay, plus all those extra expenses ....and the drive. An eight hour day would be close to 10 hours away from home. Being on call is no fun. And for less money. I bet you could do better if you really decide to get back into a 9-5 type of job.
Good luck with your decision.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
70% of existing pay (a 30% reduction)

That is what I intended to type :pat:

I understood it was 70% of what you're currently earning.

Cityboy

Banned
Doc said:
That is what I intended to type :pat:

I understood it was 70% of what you're currently earning.

Sure ya did, Doc.:yankchain: Don't sweat it. It's just your FF family here. We won't let anybody make fun of you but us. :respect:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
bczoom said:
CON's of taking the job:

It appears to me that you will be taking a 40% cut in your current pay with all of the cons listed above by taking the job. Being self employed (your own boss) and only making 60% of what you are making now and still being self employed should be worth staying where you are now. Take the chance of staying self employed as long as possible. Jobs for people who want to really work are out there. You can always find and join the big company if things turn sour.

My best advice now is to take at least 10 extra hours a month and devote it to growing your customer and client network. When times start to look tough, get tough....do what is necessary to make it prosper and stay self employed. People who control their own destiny are happier, wealthier and prosper better in society.
:my2cents: Bill

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, I've slept on it and decided pretty much what Bill and others have been saying.
I'm staying put and won't be accepting their offer.

elsmitro

floppy member
Start saving that 30-40% you would be losing to get you through the dry spells. I am always amazed at some of the things some people spend their $ on. Even if they live in hobbles, instead of saving $ to buy a nicer place or to get them through a rough spot they spend most of it on silly things. It always reminds me of that old “ant and grasshopper” story.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
elsmitro said:
Start saving that 30-40% you would be losing to get you through the dry spells. I am always amazed at some of the things some people spend their $ on. Even if they live in hobbles, instead of saving $ to buy a nicer place or to get them through a rough spot they spend most of it on silly things. It always reminds me of that old “ant and grasshopper” story.

That makes sense to me. I have always lived below my means. I believe, however, that if everyone did it that way our economy would suffer.