• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wonderful Phoenix & "Natural" Disasters

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I saw that a Facebook friend of mine who lives in Florida right in the path of where hurricane Michael went through earlier this month. survived the hurricane but had her home destroyed. (I think, no details) , but she is staying in a hotel in Alabama.

I thought she should move to Phoenix. Just as hot here or hotterhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidioidomycosis (like 122 degrees) but not as humid. We also have scorpions (but not in my part of Phx.) We also have dust storms which spread Coccidioidomycosis or "cocci" (Valley fever) " https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccidioidomycosis About everyone here gets it anyway (I've had it). It only kills a few people. Really the main catastrophe here are the (low) wages. Lovely place Phx. Sorry I don't mean to make light or be flippant about what she went through but as bad as life is some (most) of the time one either needs to laugh or cry. I have cried way to much.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Cat, I wasn't aware that "Valley Fever" was a problem in Phoenix. Being oilfield trash, I had a couple of friends who caught it out in Bakersfield, CA. That is some evil shit.

Scorpions!!! I'm a Texan. Those things don't bother me too much. I've a few tales to tell concerning them. Just never go barefoot around the house. :wink:

Living in Florida??? It may be a nice place to visit but it's no place to stay.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I live in a older part (here things built in the 1950s are "old") part of Phoenix. We don't have scorpions here in central Phoenix. But as the city sprawls on across the state they see lots of them. Although cats aren't immune to their stings usually they aren't bothered by them.

We have a lot of Valley Fever here. It even killed a kid not that long ago. But most people only get bad cold symptoms They said he was out in a dust storm. Hard to avoid those. Never bothered me. Hell for people driving though them. If they are really bad they cut down on visibility. That reminds me the way people drive here is another hazard. But I guess I need to include myself. Who else would run into an ambulance?

Ironic because people with TB were sent out here in the old days because the warm dry air is good for that. My parents moved out here originally because my brother had bad lungs. I say "Had" because his breathing problems caught up with him and he died. Age 49.

I tell people back east about Valley Fever and they think I'm making it up.
But lots of weird things here. I was telling someone about our Gila Monsters.

Yeah right, an endangered, poisonous, large red and black striped lizard called a "Monster." The guy thought I was totally full of B.S. When I tried to explain it and heard myself, it sounded so ridiculous that I started laughing. Don't think he ever did believe me. I can't blame him.