• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trojan Freezes Computer, Demands Ransom

JayC

Huh?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060427/tc_pcworld/125569

So they are getting more brazen. This is the first trojan of this type I have heard of. I wonder what they will think of next? I'd reformat my harddrive before I ever think of sending scumbags like them any of my money. I wonder if anyone ever actually send them the money? Or even better - do they actually think the scums holding their computer for "ransom" will carry out their end of the "bargain.":smileywac:pat::2gunsfiri:argueing::frustrado:gun2::gun1::gun2_smi::14_6_12::mad::finger2:

beds

Jay, did this happen to you? If so, that's too bad.

I got a good chuckle over this. These geeky virus writers are becoming pretty brazen. Really, when average Joe's computer gets infected, he takes it to the local shop or has the local nerds come to his house to fix it. Money is exchanged and the computer is disinfected. The software writer who created the virus gets nothing. But now, they're thinking.

JayC

Huh?
No, it didn't happen to me. My last problem was a couple years ago where I picked up a homepage hijacker. That was a mess.:mad:

Usually when someone's computer gets messed up, they call me. Sometimes it can get pretty ugly...:pat:

humor_me

I had something similar happen to mine a month or so ago.
The box would only do one thing... it stated you were infected with "xyz " trojan (I can't remember what it was called) to remove it you need to give some website a credit card # and around $65.00 to "clean" the trojan from your system.
The computer would do NOTHING!:mad:
I ended up having to unplug the computer and upon plugging it back in immediately on bootup got the same thing. Repeated the process and fortunately was able to boot into safe mode and from there XPpro let me rollback to a previous date.

My "up-to-date" antivirus (Norton) saw absolutely no event happen.:pat: