• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My latest challenge

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I love my little town I live in . We don't have much here as far as the all a big town offers , but we try .

There is a fairy nice size building on a corner lot right in town . It has failed twice as a business . I feel it was just bad management that made it fail .

So this will be a thread on starting a new business ...

The first time it was a Gas Station/ mini mart/ fishing store / laundry mat .
The second time it was a Gold panning supply / pizza parlor/ laundry mat .
Both times it lasted about two years before the bank fore closed .

Anyway the bank wanted out for good and I was looking to invest into a new area and out of the stock market .I paid cash and stole it .

We have a Canadian Gold exploration Company that has come into the area and is spending millions here . There are hardly any places to stay other than a couple mobile homes and the local motel .

I built a nice sized Apartment over my barn and it was leased before I could even finish it, by the gold company . They pay me top dollar for it and wired the full amount of the lease to me before they even moved in . No hassle on getting my rent money :biggrin: .

Anyway I always thought an apartment complex would work at the building even if the gold company moved on . Rentals are hard to find up here .

So My plan is to install 4 furnished apartments ,a small mini storage of 20 units ,add two RV sites along the river , two pay showers , keep the laundry mat , install a RV dump site ,( The nearest one is 20 miles away)and a refrigerated Game cooler .

What I am attemping to do is spread the income base out . The building is to be remodeled to look like a log lodge when completed. The apartments will be "all inclusive" energy efficient units. Pay the rent and everything else is included . Furnished because this seems to work best for the gold company and they have already expressed an interest in renting all 4 units when completed . 1bedroom units at $650 - $750 & 2 bedroom at $850- $950 . Remember there will be no other cost such as Heat, elect, internet, tv, water or sewer to deal with by the renters .

I have put up flyers in town advertizing the mini storages units and have recieved some input and interest . I'll pour the whole concrete slab for the whole unit, do the exterior walls and doors and build the interior walls as interest developes in renting . This way I figure I can customize the unit any way my customer wants it done .Prices will start at $25 for a 5x5 and up to $70 for the 10 x20 units .

We have no Commercial Refrigerated Game storage locker for 70 miles around us so I started looking around for a used walkin cooler unit and found a fella that had 9-4'x16' foam panels that are 11" thick ! For a $100 they became mine and now all i need is to get my new refrigerated unit and build the unit in the ajoining 13x30 storage garage on the end of the building . I'll plan on a 10x16 walk in cooler. I figure that should be good for $10 a day per hanging animal .That should be 5 - 8 animals a day all late summer We are a huge hunting area from July to December here .

Spent yesterday cleaning up the basement of all the old crap and found that the heating system vent was broken in two places dumping all the heat . After repairs it was amazing how warm the building became very quickly .

The laundry machines will need some work . The last owner took the largest unit and sold it before he was foreclosed on . Looks like about $2500 to replace it . I contacted a older fella that use to maintain the machines for the first owner who told me the guy is very good and kept them all up and in good repair . He has agreed to come in and repair all of them for me . I plan to get the laundry mat operational ASAP . The old first owner was able to give me a projected return on the laundry business . About $1000 month .

The pay showers will work well with the laundry mat and the hikers / campers/ hunters we have up here . I figures about $6-$7 a shower .

The two RV sites should stay rented most of the summer and fall as again the neares full service camping is 20 miles away . I'll have room for 2 camp sites along the river . I figured I would build a nice Heavy timbered covered fire pit with built in Bar-B-Ques , pinic tables between the two spots as a social area . This butts up to the city park/ swimming hole on the river .I am thinking in the $25 -$30 a night with all hookups .

RV dump site charge will be $10 . Water and sewer fees are expensive up here .I offered the sewer district the free use of my sewer dump if they reduce my fees. They make a lot of money off the feds during fire season and have had in the past to dump straight into the holding ponds which they do not like to do as it concentates the sewer effluent and screws up their system .

So I intend this to be a thread about starting a new business and seeing what happens as far as "Pit falls" and "Triumphs" I plan to be fully operational by spring time . Suggestions and questions are appreciated as I build this business. I have never had a business fail that I have started .

I am starting by putting a Bid list of all building materials I need to get at the major lumber yards . I figure to get quite a savings by buying all at once instead of one piece at a time .

Laundry mat will hopefully be operational in about two weeks . Looking at adding a couple Video Arcade games to attract more business since we have none in the town .

To be continued....

Last edited:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
When I built my cooler for vegetable storage for farmers market I did a lot of research and found that commercial cooling equipment to be quite expensive. I found this http://www.storeitcold.com

It works quite well and brought my cooler down to the mid 30's without a problem and that was before the cooler itself was finished. It was used last year with just the insulation laying on top with quite a few air leaks, one wall not insulated and two only with one layer of Styrofoam on them.

I would highly recommend looking into it. It works.

Tasha14

This is awesome. I definitely support getting out of the stock market and into other things. Seems like you have a lot of it figured out. It's nice to have a man already lined up for repairs on the laundry mat, and having the gold company looking into your apts is definitely a good sign! Best of luck to you!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I would think twice about the video arcade part of things. Don't know how the young crowd is out there but these machines draw a rowdy crowd at some places. Maybe put in the outlets and get a feel for how things go with vandalism etc. before springing for the machines.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
When I built my cooler for vegetable storage for farmers market I did a lot of research and found that commercial cooling equipment to be quite expensive. I found this http://www.storeitcold.com

It works quite well and brought my cooler down to the mid 30's without a problem and that was before the cooler itself was finished. It was used last year with just the insulation laying on top with quite a few air leaks, one wall not insulated and two only with one layer of Styrofoam on them.

I would highly recommend looking into it. It works.

Ok !!The Cool Bot is ordered . I had read up on them and was interested in trying one out . You convinced me and I also got a nice discount because you reconmended it . Out the door $269 . It will take a 25000 BTU cooling unit to make it all work correctly . The guys at Cool Bot were great in sizing the unit to the cooler size .

Water has been reconnected to the building and all power is on . Building is staying very warm at lowest heat setting since we fixed the broken heat ducts .

Ordered up the Lodge Pole log siding today and it is locally milled here in town . Saved a bundle by buying enough at the same time for the new mini Storage roof that I will put in the rear of the property .

Fella stopped by and bought all my used metal roofing on the building . I found the new Color steel roofing I plan to use at a great price too . Again I purchased enough to get a deep discount by buying all the Mini storage roofing at the same time .

Been looking at replacing the oversized washer that the old owner took . Found out he has it stored at his sisters house , so I may be able to buy it back cheap and save a few bucks .

The lot has now been graded front and rear so the foundation for the mini storage can begin construction in the next few days . I decided to go with a 20'x100' building to start .

Tech should start this week on repairing the existing washers and dryers in the Laundrymat . This is the first business I want back up and running ASAP.

Will have workmen tear off the existing roof covered sidewalk and construct a new designed roof ,that will run the entire length of the front of the building . This will match up with the new log siding 'Lodge" design that I have decided to go with on the exterior .

New Low E windows were ordered today for the exterior .
Pictures comming :biggrin:

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
You will happy with the purchase. The price to replace it and the air conditioner would be about the price of a service call on a commercial system.

Enjoy!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Deal of Deals!!!

I will be doing all the work myself on the building and be hiring a crew to help me . Today a sandwich board sign will go up in front of the building advertizing the old building materials we are replacing . A fella already stopped by and wants all the roofing . Old windows will go quick . Got to keep the cost down where possible .

I scored big time on the foam panels for the new cooler . A guy had 9 new 4'x16'x11"thick foam panels for sale . He wanted them gone . I offered a $100 bill and he was happy as a clam !!! I just saved a bundle on the cooler insulation !!!

Last edited:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Found out this afternoon that the building has two separate heating systems !
Also got 5 out of 6 commercial dryers working . 3 out of 4 Maytag ( large Capacity)washers have broken water valves that need to be ordered . Looks like all 5 small washers work fine .

I have a feeling the laundrymat will be open for business in about 2 weeks . That will not cover all my cost but at least there will be a income stream coming in very soon . :clap:

I need to clear a minium of $175-$250 per month "profit" to make that part of the business work .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Spent most of yesterday tearing out walls that some knuckleman had added to divide the place up . Found a few surprizes along the way .
The front 15 feet of the building is a add on with a concrete floor that someone had laid wood 1x6 over ???????? I was surprized it was not rotted out . The old owner took out a bearing wall that will need some beam work to secure . Still have not found the switch that controls the front lights .

If all goes half way well today , I should have all the walls stripped where the two -one bedroom apartments are to be located down stairs .If anyone needs fire wood , I have a ton of scape lumber for you .

Boy the price of repair parts for commercial washers and dryers are NOT cheap !
$500 bucks for a 1/2 HP 120 volt "long shaft" dryer motor .
Still snowing here so all work will be inside today .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK.... I am getting a fast education on Washers and Ice machines .:unsure::sad:

They are all expensive to repair . I have decided to just bite the bullet and go out and buy new washers and a new ice machine . I can wait on the ice machine until summer when the hunters will need ice to keep their game cool on the way home .
The new washers will come with a nice warranty and I will not have to worry about out of pocket expense for three years mimium .

In doing this business , I am trying to get a 1 % per month return on my total investment from the start of operations . Thats a mimium of 12 % a year . I think I am quite low in my figures and that I will do much better than that when I am up and running .

I pretty much got the lower level of the store ripped out today . Tomorrow should see me ready to start rebuilding and planning the two new one bedroom apartments that will be downstairs . I have set a total remodel cost of $50,000 in material . That is very doable up here . That will more then pay for the 4 apartment units and the new washers for the laundrymat . It should leave me just enough to build the 20x 100 mini storage too . Remember ,,,, my labor is free .:biggrin:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Don't be afraid to use your brain and somebody else's back for the heavy work Al. It ain't a good investment if it gimps you up permanently.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Don't be afraid to use your brain and somebody else's back for the heavy work Al. It ain't a good investment if it gimps you up permanently.

I hear ya Bill ! We have a couple of younger guys that I have taken under my wing . They treat me pretty damn good and I help them on projects that are above their skill level thoughout the year . Winter is real slow around here so they love having something to keep them busy . Nobody really ever breaks a sweat around here . 6 hrs is a long day of work !:w00t2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Well , I have pretty much stripped the old building downstairs to the studs to start bringing it back as two - one bedroom apartments . Snowing everyday and it seems like I cannot catch a break in the weather . Tomorrow I have a crew of younger guys coming in to do the grunt work that I am tired of doing . Have started ordering parts and valves for the new pay showers .
Hopefully the laundrymat will be up and running in two weeks .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Washers should be here in about a week . I bit the bullet and just ordered 5 large ones that could all handle sleeping bags too . Got a great price and a good warranty too .

Trying to decide if I want one big water heater or a couple smaller ones ran in series to run the laundrymat .

Spent a good part of the day removing illegal electrical wiring and cleaning up the power centers .

Will be removing the old boiler and clearing out the service room tomorrow . It needs to be completely redone .

Everything seems to be on track ???????:unsure::biggrin:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Washers should be here in about a week . I bit the bullet and just ordered 5 large ones that could all handle sleeping bags too . Got a great price and a good warranty too .

Trying to decide if I want one big water heater or a couple smaller ones ran in series to run the laundrymat .

Spent a good part of the day removing illegal electrical wiring and cleaning up the power centers .

Will be removing the old boiler and clearing out the service room tomorrow . It needs to be completely redone .

Everything seems to be on track ???????:unsure::biggrin:

Well a couple of smaller hot water heaters in series will allow one to drain into the other, when the first one starts to get cold, the heaters will turn on, but the hot water in the second one won't start to drop until the first one's temps are down... Should be cheaper to put three or four smaller units in line, that way if you have a high usage you will have hot water, that way the first one or two take the load, unless you really have a large draw of hot water, I would doubt you would use that last couple in the system unless you have a massive demand.

You could also put a couple of "On Demand" hot water heaters that make it as you use it, would be much cheaper that way, but a bit more costly to start out with. They have them in gas fired or electric.

Where is the photos!:whistling:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
OK . Here are a few pictures as we start .
The old washers are comming out today . The outside of the building will be 8"log siding with a new light green colored roof . The shed attached to the end will house the new 20 "game animal" walkin cooler . The new mini storage building will be in the rear.

There will be two - one bedroom apartments downstairs along with the laundrymat and two -two bedrom apartments upstairs .

AS you can see the wiring is a joke !!!

Attachments

• P1010099.JPG
    P1010099.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 243
  • P1010101.JPG
    P1010101.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 245
  • P1010105.JPG
    P1010105.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 247
  • P1010104.jpg
    P1010104.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 250
  • P1010108.jpg
    P1010108.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 244

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Neat looking building. :thumb:

So ...what's wrong with that wiring? Looks fine to me. :yum: :poke:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I will be adding another set of dormers in the front . Also the bad wiring is now gone ! I freed up over 250 amps of room in the power box . Found out the old owners were trying to run the whole building including the laundrymat on one 50 gallon electric water heater . Turns out the old commercial water heater has been off line for years ! They were both hauled out today and the service room was gutted to the studs for the new sheetrock that will be going up on Friday .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are putting a new boiler in why not go with an indirect water heater? They provide all the hot water you can ever want pretty cheap for the amount of fuel needed. I have one that runs off my boiler and it makes enough hot water to run a hose wide open while the washer is running. You would probably want at least an 80 gallon for the amount of hot water needed. Or hook 2 forty gallon in series. I have an electric one after mine wrapped in an insulation blanket for summer use.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
If you are putting a new boiler in why not go with an indirect water heater? They provide all the hot water you can ever want pretty cheap for the amount of fuel needed. I have one that runs off my boiler and it makes enough hot water to run a hose wide open while the washer is running. You would probably want at least an 80 gallon for the amount of hot water needed. Or hook 2 forty gallon in series. I have an electric one after mine wrapped in an insulation blanket for summer use.

Actually Bill ,
I am working on the solution as we speak . My brother is a boiler tech and will have the information for me tomorrow to make the system as usuable as possible .

I love seeing a plan come together . I am sooooo tired of ripping out mistakes that were made over the years on this building . I am amazed it did not catch on fire .I am ready to start wrapping it up !!!
I honestly believe I could sell the whole operation as soon as i get it finished and make one hell of a profit . But this is for my wife and a long term money maker after I am dead and gone . I believe she will see at least a 20% yearly profit return on investment from the start :smile:.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's a little unknown information if you ever make a large purchase at Home Depot . You have to have at least $2500 in purchase at one time . Go up to the Pro Desk and tell them you need the stuff your getting bid on.Then start getting your stuff . They will send off the list to some place in head quarters and a few minutes later the new price will come back . I saved 20% or over $1200 dollars on my purchases over regular store price . As I filled up my basket a clerk would take it and get me another . It was painless !!!

The Laundry mat side of the building is just about ready to be put back together . The added (illegal) electrical wiring has been a real pain to correct .
I am feeling pretty damn good about the way it is turning out . Public interest in the new building is really building . People are stopping by daily to see when we will be open for business .

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Sounds like it's all coming together nicely for you!

Hell, your going to be around for years, your wife will have to split the profits with you for a long time... !:flowers:

Be afraid though if you start finding an abnormal amount of banana peels laying around....:unsure:

Could get ugly! :yum:

Sounds like you have a first class operation there and it's looking good!

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok ... I need your opinion . I do not like getting up early or going to bed late .
Blame it on my old age .
Anyway,,,, I think the laundrymat should be open 24/7/365 .Say from 7 AM to 8 PM each day .
I will have a coin changer for customers too get change for the washers / dryers and showers but I will still need someone to open and close , clean the showers between use and clean the lint screens each day . I am thinking of hiring a senior citizen who is looking a a part time job .

The only thing he needs to do on time is open and close on time and fit the rest in his time frame

I figure he may spend 2 hours a day on taking care of business . Do you think a senior retired person would be interested ??

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Probably yes. I also think they would be more reliable that a lot of younger persons.

You could also consider an unemployed single mother. It would help her a lot.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You could also consider an unemployed single mother. It would help her a lot.

That might work and she could bring her kids with her . I am going to have a play area for little kids to entertain themselves anyway . Figured that mothers would be more interested in using the laundrymat if they had a safe place for their kids while they washed & dried laundry . Also looking into putting wifi and a flat screen on the wall as well .

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Since I have crap , material and supplies scattered all over the first floor ,I decided to take a couple days and get the downstairs apartments all framed up . It will require another trip to home depot to get parts to finish the laundrymat anyway ,so I might as well get as far as I can on the apartments so I can get all the needed supplies at one time . Its a whole day 300 mile trip to the lumber yard that I hate making .Getting too old to pound nails so I went out and bought a new 3 1/2" Framing nailer . That should make life more pleasant .