• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Carrying product liability a bit too far ?

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Yesterday , I stopped By My local Stihl dealer to get a couple of chains .
I told the sales guy I wanted two 84 dl RSC chains , not the low kick back chains . He goes and gets them and puts them on the counter . At this point ,He tells Me that before He can sell these chains to Me ,I have to sign a piece of paper with name Ph # and address acknowledging the fact that I'm buying potentially dangerous chains !!!! WTF !!! It's going on a 90cc chainsaw !!!
He was adamant ,so I obliged Him . All that I can come up with is that this dealer has been sued over some accident caused by a doofus with a saw .
I'm just amazed at how much manufacturers ,and shops have to bend over to protect themselves from the Darwin candidates of this world !

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Here's more irony. They could be doing themselves a disservice by having you sign that waiver. The argument being, so you (dealer) knew the product was unreasonably dangerous, but chose to sell it anyway?

Not saying I agree with this argument. Nor that a waiver signed by Nixon would be binding. You have to be mentally competent for a waiver to take effect.:whistling::yum:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I still am getting used to the child proof world I'm forced to live in now. Often wonder how I survived my own child hood without all the protections. Wait I think I got it, dumb kids got killed off before they could reproduce making more dumb kids, now we protect them. :whistling:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
The argument being, so you (dealer) knew the product was unreasonably dangerous, but chose to sell it anyway?

Same argument that a friend in Dallas got for not posting a "Beware of the Dog" sign on the gate of privacy fenced back yard, ie., he must have known that the dog was potentially dangerous or he wouldn't have posted the sign in the first place but he still let it roam loose in the yard anyway. It's a no-win situation.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Same argument that a friend in Dallas got for not posting a "Beware of the Dog" sign on the gate of privacy fenced back yard, ie., he must have known that the dog was potentially dangerous or he wouldn't have posted the sign in the first place but he still let it roam loose in the yard anyway. It's a no-win situation.

Yup. That's why you put up a sign that has a more innocuous message, like "Rhodesian Ridgeback Crossing."

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Not saying I agree with this argument. Nor that a waiver signed by Nixon would be binding. You have to be mentally competent for a waiver to take effect.:whistling::yum:

You know ... If I could find a decent and honorable lawyer , I'd sue You for defamation of character . :yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter

If you think thats bad , when we had the shop in wichita & kept a perty mean shepard loose inside when we were gone & had a beware of dog on the outside of all doors . Someone broke in & the dog tore his ass up & he sued us , His lawyer said in a business where a dog is left loose inside the sign has to read GUARD DOG ON DUTY , We lost the lawsuit but Our insurance covered most of it . :hammer:

Adillo303

Diesel Truck Fan
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy - After reading this while thread, how about a sign like this."Automatic intrusion detection and neutralization de ice in operation." Enter at your own risk.

nixon

Boned
GOLD Site Supporter
Good luck.:w00t2:

I know , it isn't gonna happen . It's like the old story about a town with one lawyer , He darn near starved to death . Then a second Lawyer moved to town ... They both became very rich !:yum:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy - After reading this while thread, how about a sign like this."Automatic intrusion detection and neutralization de ice in operation." Enter at your own risk.

Never know it might of worked . :yum: I,m not worryed anymore since we moved out here , i dont have a dog anymore & my signs say beware of owner if that aint clear enough for them they can kiss my backside :brows:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
My insurance co. told me not to post any signs about the dogs period. My old place I had the end of my 40X40 shop painted with 2ft. tall letters. DOGS WILL BITE
OWNER WILL SHOOT

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
No I've always had a dog but my current one needs no signs, he spends the day under the counter and most never know he is there. I call him the turtle though he answers to Biggs. The only person he gets slightly lively about is the UPS guy because he always has 2 cookies for him. He gets the first when he comes to get the key to the tenants space and the second when he comes back for us to sign as well as return the key.