• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

How do you unclog your mower deck?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found a technique to clear a clogged deck that seems to work well.

Once you see, hear, feel the deck is clogging, proceed to a "dumping ground" with the mower still running at operating speeds.

At the same time, turn off the mower and drop the throttle (with the objective of getting the blades to stop as fast as possible). Depending on your mower, an alternative technique is to kick-on one of the safety switches by lifting yourself off the seat or something.

When I do this, all the caked on stuff falls off the deck. Any blades that have lift are pushing it up there and if you stop the blades quickly, the built-up grass falls off the deck under its own weight. I mentioned "dumping ground" since there's now going to be several inches of caked up wet grass sitting there... Not something I want in the middle of the yard.

I found that Fluid Film also does a fantastic job of keeping grass from sticking to the inside of the deck so I apply that after every through cleaning of the underside of the deck.

mak2

I have had guys tell me they used Pam (that spray stuff) but I dont think I believe them. I cant remember having it clump up so much bouncing the deck on the driveway or something doesnt clear it. I think you are suppose to throttle down before you shut down the mower anyway, I always have but I am not sure why.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, I'm addicted to that stuff (Fluid Film) now... I have gallon jugs as well as spray bottles. I hit all the power equipment, garage door parts, hinges, water spigots, the ends of the garden hoses, trailer couplers, lawn rollers, aerators, blades, rototillers and other implements that are done for the season...

Basically, if it moves and/or could rust, it gets a coat.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I used something different a long time ago. It was a spray on that I could only get online. It worked some but not worth the money I paid for it.

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
i always just shut it off, got under it with a paint spatula and scraped it out. took 2 minutes, and didnt cost me a dime

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
I just raise the deck so the grass can get out...

Otherwise, I don't mow in the rain...