• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

best cordless tool brands, batteries and voltages?

I've been using B&D Firestorm tools for years, but either I'm using them harder or they're not being made as well...My first 14.4 lasted quite a few years, but eventually the gears stripped so that was a goner...the two batteries it came with will now last for about 6 holes before they die. I replaced it with a 18v Firestorm last year, and it's battery isn't much either.

That being said, I'm a homeowner who lives on a small farm, and I also do alot of building projects on the side (sheds, decks, garages, etc...)

So which brands should i be considering?

What voltages?

How about battery types? (li-ion. nicad)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You can look and see if they have online issues here:

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/

I think Dewalt, Bosch, Makita and sometimes Rigid(Ridgid?) get good reviews.

It's hard to say if this is a truly un-biases magazine as I suspect advertising can buy better ratings in most magazines.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
by my experience, B&D (firestorm) = junk.
Dewalt, Rigid, Milwaukee, Makita are all good - but I'm not happy with the performance I've been getting out of my DeWalt nicads lately (even the new ones) which may be a ploy on their part to convince people to switch over to their new Li-ion batteries.
Craftsman & Ryobi Li-ion models are picking up market share due to low price and fairly decent performance for the general consumer (as opposed to contractor)
Bosch and the other "woodworker niche market" cordless tools are all well and good, but pricey.

for the majority of farm tasks, I would not go below 18V. I also consider the models sold with more than 30v overkill, unless you're a contractor.
since you're looking for a completely new set, unless you're going to be doing a LOT with them, I'd seriously consider one of the Ryobi 4 or 9 tool Li-ion kits at home despot, based on "bang for the buck" logic - if you are planning on abusing them, consider the Rigid tools -- and make sure you submit all the necessary paperwork to get the lifetime replacement warranty (which includes batteries for life).
be prepared for some ugly sticker shock

Hutchman

Site Supporter
As a former Home Depot hardware associate and lifetime power tool user, I never recommended Ryobi to any but the casual user. We were constantly getting them returned burned up from overuse. There is a reason they are so cheap. Ridgid is supposedly manufactured by Ryobi, but that doesn't mean they can't be manufactured to higher specs. It seems Milwaukee is the product we had the least peoblems with. I've been thinking about a new kit to replace my old 12v stuff, and it'll probably be Milwaukee. As far as the batteries for life, Erik is correct, do the paperwork. We didn't deal with the defective bateries at the store after 90 days, but I was told by a tool rep that the warranty centers had mountains of defective Ridgid batteries.
Hutch

k-dog

We bought my dad the bag set of 18 Volt DeWalt XRP (circular saw, reciprocating saw, impact driver, 1/2" drill, light, grinder). I have been impressed by how well this set has held up. The power in the impact driver is awesome, it will burying a 4 inch screw in solid wood as deep as you want it to go and it will also drive in 1/2 inch lag bolts (with pilot hole of course). Dad is retired but uses his set constantly as he is always helping someone on a project. My brother does sheet metal work and lives by his drill. He has used Makita and DeWalt but prefers DeWalt. He uses his drill all day long 6 days a week.
If you get DeWalt make sure you go with XRP because I bought a regular 12 volt DeWalt cordless drill and it isn't worth a crap.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I just bought the Makita 18v Lithium Ion stuff. Paid $400.00 for a hammer drill, reciprocating saw, 6 1/2" circular saw and flashlight. I was also lucky enough to take part in a rebate for a free 3rd battery.

This stuff has a lot of power and is incredibly light. The 18v drill weighs about the same as my 14.4v Ryobi. I've used Dewalt, Ryobi and Milwaukee and the Ryobi was my favorite, but it was the Jobsite line, which they stopped making some years ago. Go to Home Depot and check out all the stuff, but pay attention to the lithium-ion kits. You'll be amazed at how light they are with the torque they have. Once you decide what you want, check online for authorized dealers (even on eBay). You'll probably get a better deal there.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm using both DeWalt and Milwaukee right now. I was really ticked at DeWalt when I first bought their 36v stuff because the drill broke in the first minute of use and they gave me the runaround. They finally came around and gave me an extra 36v battery to boot (which isn't cheap). I also have a full 28v Milwaukee setup. So far I can't tell you which I like the best. Both use the Lithium batteries and they last considerably longer than my old 18v DeWalt stuff; which I still have several of.

DeWalt is just so high on the prices to go with their new 18v batteries that I opted to buy Milwaukee 28v stuff because I was mad. I don't know what I'm going to do when my last 3 good 18v DeWalt batteries go bad. I use the little 18v DeWalt grinder quite a bit but it really kills the battery. I suppose I'll end up buying either a DeWalt 36v or Milwaukee 28v grinder.

On the "cheap" side, I bought a Ryobi 18v caulk gun and have run literally hundreds of tubes of caulk through it. I've been amazed at the battery life and the performance of the power caulk gun. If it broke tomorrow I'd figure I'd be money ahead and go buy another without a second thought. I'd like to hear more about which Ryobi 18v tools are 'winners' and which are 'losers'. The 18v Ryobi drill has no power and I managed to break them constantly.

garygaboury

I recently (last week) bought myself a 18v Li Ion impact driver from Makita. It was a lot of money but it is by far the best cordless tool I've ever used hands down. I will never drive a screw with a drill again.

At work we have the Dewalt 18V Tools, Sawzall, hammer Drill, Flashlight, and Skill Saw (can I saw Skill while writing abotu Dewalt?) and the Makita 18V Li Ion tools and the difference is unbelieveable.

Since Opinions are like ....oles and everyone has one you need to get your hands on the new tools and try them out. Make sure you try an impact driver, and make sure your new tools are li Ion..

Good Luck.

Gary

BTW: The makita battery charges in 30-45minutes and lasts at least hours, if not all day.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I've had both the bag of DeWalt 18 volt and Makita drill/driver and circular saw in 18 volt. I use them almost every day . Makita batteries last longer both per charge and overall life. DeWalt batteries kept falling off the tool :hammer:

rico304

I would say...hands down, panasonic is the best cordless drill. No idea about anything else. My buddy uses his every day. Burned up several drills in a couple years. He heard Panasonic was the best, so 4 years later he is still on his first drill. Anther buddy told me the same findings. It is going to be my next drill.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a lot of Ryobi. I'd rate it as a better grade of "hobbyist" quality tools, certainly better than the B&D Firestorm and similar brands. Ryobi is not up to the quality of Makita, Milwaukee or even DeWalt. DeWalt seems to me to be over hyped. Not saying its not good stuff, just saying it is not all its hyped up to be.

I've had several Makita battery powered tools (drills and saws) and really liked them, they are higher quality than the Ryobi that I have currently. My attraction to Ryobi was the selection of battery powered tools, which is wider than most of the other brands. I'm not hard on my tools, certainly not a pro, so it is 'good enough' for me. I've got the 18 volt set up and probably 8 or 9 different tools. Given the option, I'd buy them again. If I was a construction worker, I would NOT buy them.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Just picked up a Bosch 18 volt drill/driver to replace my 19.2? volt PorterCable. I really liked my PC, but is typical for me, I can't make any of them last for more than 2 years. Have had 2 of the DimWit 12 volt jobs, a Makita 12v, and even a 9.6v Industrial B&D, oh yeah, a sears piece of crap, 12v, that only lasted 3 months.
My PC when using it lately would emit the burning insulation smell, as well as the batts lasting only long enough to drive around 50 3" screws in yellow pine.
So, I got a Bosch. The Lithium-ion batts are a lot lighter than the old Ni-cads, and so far I like it. I just put up a small 8X8 deck and only went thru 1 batt.
I wanted another PC, but after looking at them at Loweslife, I really was disappointed. Seems like the ones they had were all chineese, and not just the PC's. All the drill/drivers I looked at, DimWit, Makita, Ryobi, and the Firestorm, were all disappointing. The Bosch being the least so.I didn't see any Milwaukee there.
Time will tell if the Bosch is suited to anyone that uses this stuff daily/heavily. I really don't expect it to hold up to the grind, but wouldn't be the first I've been wrong.

On a bit of a twist, it's been 2 years since I've been in the market for any new tools, and the quality, and country of origin really has gone down hill, at least at Loweslife.:tiphat::beer:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Oh yeah, what's with the cute little useless light on a lot of these drill/drivers, is this some designer/yuppies idea of a useful attachment? It isn't anything but something to help drain the batts as far as I can tell. :shit5::pee_smilie:

o

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
All the drill/drivers I looked at, DimWit, Makita, Ryobi, and the Firestorm, were all disappointing. The Bosch being the least so.I didn't see any Milwaukee there.
Time will tell if the Bosch is suited to anyone that uses this stuff daily/heavily.

A good friend of mine is a quality carpenter who does high end work for a living. He too became very ticked at DeWalt 18v stuff (but like me has too many to just throw them away) and bought Bosch and Milwaukee. He really likes both. I don't know what voltage his Bosch stuff is, but his Milwaukee is the 28v like what I bought. He also commented that a guy who works for him has had really good service out of Hitachi equipment.

I have to admit that it was extremely disappointing that my 36v DeWalt drill broke during it's first use when I was building my barn. It was even more disappointing that DeWalt was terrible to deal with. Fortunately, so far, other than being heavy, the 36v DeWalt tools seem to be fine. My Bosch tools are corded (hammerdrill and holehog) as is my only Hitachi tool (sliding compound miter).

Tractors4u

Site Supporter
I am on my second set of Ryobi 18v. The first drill and circular saw was stolen out of my locked truck box. No they are not up there with Makita, DeWalt and the others, but the cost to quality ratio is pretty high in my book. When the batteries finally give out they can be replaced pretty cheap. I bought the cordless chainsaw to keep in the back of my Polaris Ranger so when I am trail riding and need to cut a small tree out of the way. I was at a closeout store the other day and found a new in the box Ryobi 18v left blower for $15. I wouldn't mind having the high end stuff, but I got my combo set of drill, circ saw, recip saw, vacuum (never used), work light and charger with 2 batteries for $175. I believe the price has dropped since I bought mine.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I was at home despot over the weekend and they had 2 packs of Makita lithium batteries for $60 (1.5 AH) and $99 (3.0 AH).

4xbill

I've had Porter Cable 19.2v Drill and Circ Saw for 10 yrs now. I use them on a regular basis(not daily). The 2nd battery just finally crapped out. New batteries go for $60+ each. I don't think you can get the tools anymore.

I have been very happy with them. I can't tell you how many times I have dropped the drill, including off of ladders. Oh well time to look for a new set/brand.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Lowe's started stocking the P-C cordless tools about 2 months ago - probably not the same quality as yours, but if the batteries still fit, you'll have a source for replacement parts.

After speaking to a contractor friend who is in the process of replacing his Dewalt's with Hitachi, I purchased the Hitachi KC18DFL 18V 2 Piece Cordless Combo Set. It has a 1/2" drill and an impact driver, 2 Li-Ion batteries, charger and a nice canvas bag. After all the rebates and cash-back it was about $130 for the set.

I have been using it a good bit since last Friday, and overall it's been fine...It didn't like the cold weather the first day (in the 20's) and the first battery went down pretty quick. The other annoying thing is the little light on the tool hook (driver only) it turns on way too easy, so I may just pop the battery out, since I doubt I'd use it much anyways - it does have an auto turnoff feature, and I guess it wouldn't do much to wear down the battery.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
And about that little light thingy on the drill, I didn't see the point either until I used my drill to unscrew a keyboard drawer from under my computer desk. Sure was nice to be able to see what I was doin' without holding a flashlight in my teeth!

Raspy

Don't waste your money on any set that doesn't have lithium batteries. Nicads are junk. And if they don't say lithium they are not lithium.

I recently bought another set of Makita lithium tools and I love them! Now I've got several drills and a couple of impact drivers as well as the sawzall and the circular saw. I can rough in plumbing lines with these on new houses and not be tied to the cord. they are the first battery tools that are really ready for heavy use.

And the light on the impact driver is very useful for driving screws up in joist bays where it's dark.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
I'm glad you resurrected this thread, Raspy. Since my last post, I've used my Makita sawzall to trim bunches of fruit tree limbs, some 4-6" in diameter. I'm amazed at how quickly that thing chewed through them and begged for more. Those Lithium-ion batteries are really powerful and long lasting.