• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Broke the gearbox on a tractor mounted Post Hole Auger

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is just not my day :sad:

After icing down my ribs I decided to get back and do some planting. I had 9 shrubs that needed to go into the ground, all were in 9" diameter pots so I put a 12" auger bit on the post hole digger and went to work. Got all 9 of them planted without incident. Feeling pretty good about things I decided to drill 2 more holes for 2 bushes that my wife wants, but that we currently don't own. Figured I just get ready for the inevitable arrival of 2 'Winterberry' bushes that caught her eye last weekend.

So I went over to the spot where she wants the Winterberry bushes planted, drilled a hole for one, repositioned the tractor and started to drill the second hole. 1/2 way down the hole the bit stopped spinning. No biggie, I was digging in clay I figured I simply snapped the bolts, they are grade 2 bolts and designed to snap BEFORE the gearbox is damaged.

Pulled the tractor into the workshop where the tools are and started to examine things. The bolts were not damaged! Upon close inspection, it appears that some of the gears inside the gearbox have broke apart, there is at least 1 tooth left on the gear, but I suspect not much else. I've not taken it apart but simple hand rotation shows as much as I need to know. The inside of the gear box is trash.

Now the decision ~ repair or replace. I can replace at Tractor Supply for $399 and be back in business today. Or I can repair it if I can find the parts for probably a fraction of that cost, wouldn't surprise me if I could replace the gears for about $100. The problem will be finding the gears. The PHD was sold by Tractor Supply, no clue who built it, its different than the model they currently sell. This implement is probably 8 to 10 years old. I'm leaning on replacing it.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Bummer on the gear box . But I agree if you can get a new gear box now & back up & running thats what I would do , you can allways get gears if you can find them & replace at your convenience & keep it for a spare , That way You,ll damn near be guranteed you would never need it :wink:.

Good luck , I,d be curious to see the damace when you get it apart . :biggrin:

tsaw

GOLD Site Supporter
For $399.00 I'd say replace. Oh and take the rest of the damn day off!! You did enough damage for one day.:whistling:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm going along with PB.

I've already been to Tractor Supply and picked up the new PHD.

I'll worry about the repair for the old gearbox when I have time (winter) and will sell that locally when done.

Oh I also planted 3 small plants on my way back into the house from the workshop. Near as I can tell everything we have to be planted has now been planted. There are plenty that need TRANSPLANTING but that is NOT my department!!! Me, I'm resting. My side hurts, my arm is scraped up from the morning lawn tractor accident, my leg is now scraped up from wrestling the new Post Hole Digger off the forklift at TSC and into my truck. Time for some Aleve and some rest.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
All but for a 5/16 Grade 5 shear pin and I would be done :hammer:

Picked up the TSC post hole digger the other day AND began the rebuild process on the old one.

The new unit was ugly faded yellow, with lots of scratches on it and some rust from sitting outside so before assembling it I figured I'd clean it up and repaint it. Took a can of KUBOTA ORANGE spray paint and went to work. The new one looks great now! Better than new???

I stole a few parts from the new one when I was re-assembling the old one figuring that my parts bins, cans and drawers would supply with what I needed when it came time to assemble the new PHD. I was wrong. Got the old one back into working condition, even drilled a hole with a 9" auger bit. Good as new? Got it done about 2pm today.

Went to finish assemble the new unit and didn't have the 6" by 7/8ths pivot pin needed to hold the power head to the boom arm . . . search around, dig a little, found a hitch pin that was 7/8ths by 6.25" so I threw in a washer and it works like a charm. Had 1 last quart of 80w90 gear oil, guess how much that new power head required? Yup, the whole quart. Greased up the PTO universal joints with the grease gun, installed my trusty 12" auger bit for planting shrubs and the only thing I don't have is a 5/16 x 3" grade 5 shear bolt. I have 2, 2 1/2, and 2 3/4 but I really need a 3" bolt. I pick a few up tomorrow so I have some spares, probably another quart of gear oil too.

I hate leaving a job undone like this with just 1 simple bolt to go, but no choice. And its dark so I'm not going to finish the planting tonight anyway . . . did I mention that my lovely wife came home with 3 "winterberry" bushes that need to go in the ground?