• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

hydraulic line problem

k-dog

Well I was out clearing the massive (for our area) snow that we got. There are some drifts over 48 inches high. It's tough to say how much snow we got because of it blowing but I would estimate between 28 to 32 inches, it could be more.

Anyways I got the driveway cleared that I can get out which I'm not going to do except for an emergency. I went over and helped the guy beside me. He let it get away from him and his Gator wouldn't move it.
I was dressing up my drive and blew a hydraulic line on the front end loader of my Kubota B-7800. I finished up with the box blade but with a snow like this you really need the loader. Does anyone know of a temporary fix until I can go get one on Monday? It is the short hose and is where the hose bends. It is a slit that is about 1/2 inch long close to the fitting that hooks to the loader. I had thought about trying to put a hose over it and clamp it but don't think it will work due to the place where it is.

Second question is should I go ahead and replace all the hoses or just the one? I'm afraid I weakened them earlier this year when we were having a brush fire at the house for Halloween and I had to haul hot coals up closer to the picnic area after it rained quite a bit.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
I honestly do not think you will be able to patch it. Those hoses are under pretty high pressure (I've burst a couple on my FEL too and they spray pretty far).

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
If it is leaking at a spot that has to flex the quick fix won't do much good. As to replacing all the hoses unless you are a real long drive from a hydraulic shop or dealer I would only fix one at a time. I have blown old hoses and also new ones that were under 3 years old. Hang on to your wallet if you go to a dealer.

k-dog

That's kinda what I figured as far as patching it. I guess I'll head over to the dealer on Monday to get a new one. I priced them online and it looks like it is about $25 for one and the dealer I go to is pretty much in line with the prices I usually see online. I'm thinking of picking up a spare since the loader uses four of this type of hoses.

Is there anything special to do when replacing the hose? Do you use nylon tape or anything on either of the ends where they screw on?

The tractor is only about 6 years old and only has about 700 hours on it (a lot of those are from mowing without the loader on it) and it has always been kept inside outside of a handful of days. Is that normal form a hose to go that quick?

k-dog

good one Dave!!!!

At the time it sorta seemed like a good idea, but now with 30 inches of snow on the ground, it didn't seem like too good of an idea. Oh well hind sight is 20/20. Good thing they all ready canceled church for tomorrow as I was supposed to clean off the parking area.

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
That's kinda what I figured as far as patching it. I guess I'll head over to the dealer on Monday to get a new one. I priced them online and it looks like it is about $25 for one and the dealer I go to is pretty much in line with the prices I usually see online. I'm thinking of picking up a spare since the loader uses four of this type of hoses.

Is there anything special to do when replacing the hose? Do you use nylon tape or anything on either of the ends where they screw on?

The tractor is only about 6 years old and only has about 700 hours on it (a lot of those are from mowing without the loader on it) and it has always been kept inside outside of a handful of days. Is that normal form a hose to go that quick?

DO NOT use nylon (teflon) tape on your hyd fittings. A small string of the tape can get into your hyd system & cause havoc with check valves, relief valves etc.

k-dog

DO NOT use nylon (teflon) tape on your hyd fittings. A small string of the tape can get into your hyd system & cause havoc with check valves, relief valves etc.

So I just tighten the nut down then or is there any type of sealant I should be using?

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
So I just tighten the nut down then or is there any type of sealant I should be using?
As Tom said don't use any sealant just muscle. The ends of the hose have a flare that seals on the taper. Teflon will take out your pump quick.

Ironman

When I bolw a hoseI usually steal one from something else that I'm not using until I can get to the dealer. :shifty:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That will work if they are all JD but not much else interchanges with them. Same for a lot of stuff. My Case 580K cost me over $150 for a 4 ft. hose for the extend-a-hoe. It needs the steel sleeve in the middle to clamp it down and nobody else makes it.:hammer:

e2spear

That will work if they are all JD but not much else interchanges with them. Same for a lot of stuff. My Case 580K cost me over $150 for a 4 ft. hose for the extend-a-hoe. It needs the steel sleeve in the middle to clamp it down and nobody else makes it.:hammer:

You are right that nobody else makes the Case center clamp hoses. But a good shop can take a cut off wheel length wise, take out about an 1/8" wide piece and you can slide it on the new hose. The ones I have seen on the 580's is a 5/8" id hose and usually has 3 of them on there.

As far as sealant you can use most types of liquid pipe dope. recta seal that plumbers use works. In a pinch you can use some blue loctite. I have been in the house business for over 15 years and have seen a lot of mickey mouse jobs that people try to just get by. And no, duct tape does not work no matter how much you wrap it.