• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Investing discussion group ???

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I just do not want anyone to become "broker" than they already are .:yum:

But that does bring up a good question , Why are they called "Brokers" and not "Richers"??

Al, you can't make me broker than I already am.. Count me in, as a lurker if such a title.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I got nothing to discuss. All my clams are in HON for the long haul, except for a few clams going into land by years end.

Ok Bob .... You got nothing to discuss? Then why are all your Clams in Honeywell for the long term ? I just ran a chart and they look OK . They are down from their highs , but most stocks are . What made you decide this was a great long term investment ??? Come on ....inquiring minds want to know :brows::brows:.

They coming out with the next "Pet Rock" or something ?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Ok Bob .... You got nothing to discuss? Then why are all your Clams in Honeywell for the long term ? I just ran a chart and they look OK . They are down from their highs , but most stocks are . What made you decide this was a great long term investment ??? Come on ....inquiring minds want to know :brows::brows:.

They coming out with the next "Pet Rock" or something ?

BobP has all of his money in Honeywell :confused2:

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Al, count me in.

1) and 3) would be valuable to learn more about. As for 2) I should know where to look up answers, at least.

My own interest is in the macro picture, how the world economy and market trends can affect different portions of the market. I'm not convinced that betting on 'street wisdom' about individual stocks is ever going to work, as a long term average, unless the investor has some direct experience like you do with that bank.

Added, one last comment: I like Galvy's specialty areas but I wouldn't start out with anything more than a single pot. A lot of inspiration comes from drawing together ideas from unrelated disciplines.

Great !
I look forward to your input . I have a few favorites and a few that I feel may be worth a look and some discussion on .

Lets mix this up a little to . As I said I am not a day trader ,but I am willing to do a little virtual trading . What I will do is tell you the night before that you have so many dollars to work with for the next day to start with . You decide and invest it all at the opening bell , post your virtual portfolio stock picks in the morning and sell at any time during the day again posting the results and what time you sold . If you lose it all ....well you lose and are out of the game ,but if you gain in value you keep playing on the designated days using the original amount invested and your new gains too . First one to double the value of their stock portfolio wins . You must sell each day by the closing bell or take the final bid price for the day .. No exceptions . :unsure:

So give me a couple days to put this together and lets get trading and discussing stocks !

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Ok Bob .... You got nothing to discuss? Then why are all your Clams in Honeywell for the long term ?
<snip>

I work for HON, formerly AlliedSignal (ALD). It was a great company before we bought Honeywell. Hopefully we'll eventually weed out the dead weight inherited with the acquisition of HON and start performing again. My entire 401(k) is in HON as a statement of my confidence in and loyalty to the company.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Don't close the door before I get in.

I don't know what I can contribute these days as I'm now basically a buy and hold kind of guy, although I did get a little bit lucky just before the last crash but that had nothing to do with market savvy. Believe me.

I found that short term trading can get real tough on the nerves. Snooze for a couple of days and you can wake up a poorer man. Been there and done that. I still have a couple of friends who essentially day trade. There aren't many mistakes in life that I haven't made at one time or another but I try not to repeat them.

I think the virtual portfolio idea is a good one. At least it will make it interesting and somewhat relevant.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I work for HON, formerly AlliedSignal (ALD). It was a great company before we bought Honeywell. Hopefully we'll eventually weed out the dead weight inherited with the acquisition of HON and start performing again. My entire 401(k) is in HON as a statement of my confidence in and loyalty to the company.

This might be the first thing we discuss in the new forum. :wink:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Negatory. I let myself get sucked into responding to BigA that one time, but eye loin from me messteaks.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter

Much like my devotion for the bank stock my father started . I have great confidence in it , though it is not a "strong market performer", it is or has been a steady money maker for me over the long run . I can see it hitting $70 plus in 2 years .JMO

When do you see your company, Honeywell , weeding out the dead weight ? This year ? Next Year? The stock shows a 1 year Target Estimate projected price of $45 , with a rating of 2.2 on a scale of 1 to 5 . 1 being a strong buy . Its now trading at $39.86. It has not moved above $40.55 in a year ,but it appears to be steady climbing in the last 7 months as has most solid stocks . It's still a long ways from $60 which it was trading at in May 2008.

Since you work for them , Does Honeywell have anything new coming out that would change these projections in your opinion?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lots of good ideas being tossed around in this thread.
I have created a new forum called:
Private Investing Discussion Group Discussion of Stocks and Strategies

And I moved this thread to the new forum for easier reference down the road.
Lets see how this goes and if needed we can add other sub forums like Galv mentioned down the road. Start the threads in this forum and if we see enough interest and posts we can move the threads and create the new forums as needed.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have a a good chunk in Dentsply international. They have been around for a long time and are the largest dental supply company in the world. they are getting into the Asian markets for teeth replacement as it is the largest untapped market for dental health in the world. They have held up pretty well the past 2 years compared to my other stocks. I always look long term and have not changed any stocks in years.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in. Not sure if I'll participate in day trading due to time constraints but I'll be here.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
One company that I hold onto, no matter what the price, is MO. It is the domestic company that makes Marlboro cigarettes. I don't watch the stock price from day to day or month to month. It goes from ranges from $16 to $40 over time. But the DIVIDEND YIELD is huge on this company and always has been.

Another company to look at, which is a 100% FOREIGN exposure stock, is the foreign equivalent of MO called PM. At one point both companies were 1 in the same. Due to liability issues the company split into 2 different entities, one domestic and one foreign. Both make and sell Marlboro. I do not own PM but will likely add it to my L_O_N_G term portfolio as a 'buy and hold' as a simple dividend play, but also as a hedge against the falling US Dollar.