• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

PTO post hole digger

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
What cha got ???:smile:

We have a compact tractor and are considering one. Prices seem to go from $500 to $1000 pretty fast.

Sooo.... what do you have, how much have you used it and have you hit any rocks ??

Thanks

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I bought one for my fencing project and then sold it because I wasn't using it. I only occasionally need to dig holes these days and it is easier to just get a shovel than to hook that beast up.

I broke a few shear pins. No rocks of substance.

Fortunately, one of my neighbors bought one recently so I can borrow theirs.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I put off getting one because so many said just what PB did. That is sat around and took up space more than anything. If I ever put in a fence I'll buy one (and sell it when done) but for other holes I use the FEL or manual post hole digger (for deck posts) or shovel.
Maybe a local rental place would rent you one.

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I bought a used one and sold it after the project was finished. Wish I had it back now, have another 30 acres to fence. :sad:

I tried the rental place first and everything they had was so beat up it looked as if it was about to fall apart.

I had trouble with the rocks too. hard to dig a straight hole at times.

Jim

the one I had was a Leinbach.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have one I bought at an auction a few years back. I ended up welding a length of pipe to a plate on the side of the gear box to guide it from the tractor seat and it extends out 2 ft. in the back so a helper can apply some down force. Some say the bigger the auger the better it handles rocks but you will still need a digging iron to get them loose. I gave up trying to much with it and used the backhoe when I did my pasture at the new place. If your soil is not real rocky they work good. My BIL has it right now and has had good result at his place with it. I have dug for neighbors in the valley and it worked good as well.

BoneheadNW

A buddy of mine rented a hand-held gas-powered PHD to put in his fence for a veggie garden. The soil here is mostly clay and he apparently had a hard time removing the clay from the auger.
Bonehead

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
I've used the 1 and 2 man portables as well as the trailer mount phd's and found them to be a lot of work - and relatively dangerous, so I bought a bright yellow 3 pt phd for my tractor this summer to build a pole barn.
yes, it takes some getting used to.
yes rocks will shift it to one side or the other.
yes, it came with a metal bar to help guide -- and works a lot better with a second person.

as best I could find, most of the cat 1 models under $750 are made by the same company, just different paint.
and all the used ones I looked at as well as most of the ones on eBay cost more than the one I got at TSC.
unless you're going to be using this a lot, go for low price.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
You should be able to find a "good" condition used unit for around $350 -$450. Try Craigslist and be patience . I see them all the time . There is one locally for sale here now for $250 . The front mount Hyd type units will cost you more ,but work much better as you have "power down" and can easily see where you are positioning the auger .Otherwise you will be relying on the weight of the PHD to dig into the soil . Sometimes this can be a pain if you have hard soil . You do need a high flow hyd pump on your tractor to effectively run these front mount types . If your tractor is a "Skid Steer" type you are all set for this type of front mount and it will work great . Most 3 point hitches types are not "Power down" but can be adapted with this feature ,even if your existing 3 point hitch does not have the power down feature .

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I have a basic one. A Lienbach. It mostly sits. In fact, I should just sell it.

Mine does not have down pressure.

Unless the clay here is real wet, all this thing does is sit and spin on the surface. And, the few times it does bite, I usually hit rocks.

A neighbor down the road got a similar model, that has an extra hydraulic cylinder for down pressure. It can lift his 20HP Massey rear tires off the ground. It works much much better, but is also one of those $1200 expensive ones.

The best thing we have bought for doing all this kinda of stuff, is a Makita jack hammer. I think ours is a 45lb. We have a spike bit, and a spade bit. That is what we use. $650, but we use it all over the property. We have a generator; I just toss both in the bucket on the tractor. The spade bit works great for general digging, holes for posts, holes for trees ect.

Otherwise, rent a skidsteer with an auger for a day to do your holes. The auger that goes on a skidsteer, or the one that mounts on a regular tractor bucket, is significantly better than a 3 point version. More control, and you have down pressure. And with a skidsteer, usually more hydrualic power than your PTO. Only thing is, if you buy one of the big augers for the front of a tractor, or a skidsteer version, they are REALLY expensive.

In our area, there are some skidsteer guys that charge $4 or $5 a hole to come out and dig for you. They have a minimum charge of course. But if you have a lot of holes, it is worth it!

That jack hammer though; the best tool I have ever bought besides my tractor, for use out on the property. Best...!!!

Edit: I just looked; the price has gone up on these. But we have got every penny out of ours. A friend who does concrete uses his 20 year old one hard, every day.

http://www.makitafactoryoutlet.com/\makita\products\HM1500B.asp

I have seen them on Craigslist for half the price of new...

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
You should be able to find a "good" condition used unit for around $350 -$450. Try Craigslist and be patience . I see them all the time . There is one locally for sale here now for $250 . The front mount Hyd type units will cost you more ,but work much better as you have "power down" and can easily see where you are positioning the auger .Otherwise you will be relying on the weight of the PHD to dig into the soil . Sometimes this can be a pain if you have hard soil . You do need a high flow hyd pump on your tractor to effectively run these front mount types . If your tractor is a "Skid Steer" type you are all set for this type of front mount and it will work great . Most 3 point hitches types are not "Power down" but can be adapted with this feature ,even if your existing 3 point hitch does not have the power down feature .

You know I read that post and didn't even recognize the poster. :whistling:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Back Allen!!!

As for the Post Hole Digger, I have a fairly inexpensive unit from Tractor Supply Company and a 9" and a 12" auger. Its probably 5 years old. I share it with my neighbor and we split the cost. Seems to me the auger bits were about $125 each and the PHD itself was roughly $300.00. Its been used hard some years and not others, but probably has drilled 1000 holes so far and is going strong.

I have NO rocks to contend with but lots of very heavy clay. Seems to work well in clay.

Keep the tip cleaned of debris and it will dig just fine. Even grass fibers wrapped around the tip can prevent the auger from effectively digging but if it is clean it will pull itself down into heavy or hard soil.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome back BigAl...............we've all missed ya.

I have the same post hole digger Bob does. Same augers too. I figure it's paid for. The only thing it's costing me is a little room in the garage.
I bought it to put in a flag pole with thoughts of installing a fence later. Never got around to the fence yet. But I've used it for planting shrubs and repairing a different fence. Makes short work when you've had to bury a few beloved pets too.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome back, Al :mrgreen:

Thank you all for the replies. I hadn't thought about down pressure....
Does anyone know about "clutch vs. shear pins" ?

It's the Fryeburg Fair this week and I hope to see some different models there.

Nothing nearby + cheaper-than-new in the local sale ads.

I want to put a roof over a trailer without moving it and a polebarn type of structure in the future. I'm hoping that pressure treated wood will outlive me ....

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks everyone ,

But back on topic I do not know how well a clutch type would work over a shear pin . I have the shear pin type and have only snapped it a couple of times doing hundreds of holes . Bob S . post on keeping the tip clean and the cutters sharp is a good one .

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine has a clutch but I have never slipped it. The tip does need to be clean or it will just spin on the ground. You will get used to working it up and down with the 3pt lever and it helps to have a helper with a shovel to clean it off when you pull it up.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Mine has a shear pin. I've never broken the pin. My neighbor has, I don't know the circumstances.

As for down pressure, only the most expensive models have that, I'm sure it works better but honestly if the tip is clean I don't see the need for it. It would probably make a lot more sense to have downpressure if you were a profession fence installer, etc. But for a homeowner who is going to put in a few dozen holes a day on a really good day I can't see the need for it. JMO

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Location location location :D

Mine will not even scratch the surface right now. I do not have to worry about rocks; cause it wont dig.

If I take it to my Dad's, about 20 miles away down in the valley, it will dig even in the dry dirt.

Go a mile from there to my brothers, and it will dig a couple inches. The topsoil was removed years ago when the subdivision was put in. 2-3" down, and you're on concrete like hardpan.

In the winter, I can use it, but then I run in to rocks. Big rocks. Then the jackhammer comes out, or else I have some offset posts.

I'm guessing in Indiana, there is soil more like the Sacramento-San Jauquin Valley. Nice loamy fertile stuff.

As for down pressure, only the most expensive models have that, I'm sure it works better but honestly if the tip is clean I don't see the need for it. It would probably make a lot more sense to have downpressure if you were a profession fence installer, etc. But for a homeowner who is going to put in a few dozen holes a day on a really good day I can't see the need for it. JMO

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure how long my auger bits are, but I think they are 48" long. I dig most of my holes to full depth.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Same set-up as Bob and Jerry. Inexpensive model from Farm & Fleet with 9" and 12" augers. I've never sheared a pin, but I have replaced the teeth a couple times.

I do know someone who screwed a 9" auger between two tree roots. Without a reverse gear, the only conclusion we could come to was to unbolt it from the gearbox, weld a pipe to it and call it a flag pole.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
my "el cheapo" from TSC punches about 42" deep - which is perfect for 10' sidewalls on a pole barn.
9" augur works great for 5x5 poles, 5-6" fence posts, etc...
Haven't broken a shear pin yet, but I've only punched about 25 holes so far. (have a loafing shed planned for after the pole barn, so that'll be another dozen)

that kind of compact do you have?

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
We have a JD 790.

Most of the dealers around here sell the $1000 models. That includes an auger.
Lots of rocks around so they don't even sell the cheaper ones.

I saw a Woods one. Internet says that Bush Hog makes one with a clutch. Dealer says a clutch can be added for 3-400 ,,,, that would buy alot of grade 2 bolts :smile:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I do know someone who screwed a 9" auger between two tree roots. Without a reverse gear, the only conclusion we could come to was to unbolt it from the gearbox, weld a pipe to it and call it a flag pole.
I've done that. I just remove the shear pin (so the auger is standing by itself) and unscrewed it using a big pipe wrench.

I too have one similar to what others have. The best advice I can offer is to ask around to see who has one that you can borrow. Ideally, someone will have one mounted to a skid-steer which works much better.

For down pressure, there's a place on my head where I can slide a 2x4. I just have a friend hang on that for down pressure.