• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cool Camper

RedRocker

http://www.eggcamper.com/

TRAILER%2034.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Despite the recession, one of the local RV lots has a lot of new, smaller sized, light weight single axle campers on the lot. Many seem to be very aerodynamic and clearly are designed for the smaller vehicles to tow. I noticed in the UK that their campers were smaller than our average camper and many were somewhat aerodynamic, not as much as this one in your picture, but also not like the traditional tin box style we commonly have here.

I think gas prices and smaller cars will drive the camper industry into this type of trend.

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
The price for the small fiberglass campers (Scamps, Casitas, Burros, etc) has skyrocketed in the last few years. I think everyone is looking for the lightweights to save on fuel cost and so they can tow with their new econo-boxes. i bought my 26ft travel trailer several years ago for about $13K. Now a 13ft Scamp comes in at about $13K for similar amenities. I'm not going to fork over those kind of bucks for a 13ft trailer, but I do believe in supply and demand, so I'll just wait until the hysteria is over. Same thing happened with small generators before 2000. The prices shot up to over $2/Watt and I wasn't going to pay that. Waited a year or two and got one for 50c/W. Just like the generators, I'll be waiting for $500/ft, not $1K/ft.

Current Scamp pricing...
http://www.scamptrailers.com/AskScamp/TrailerPricing.aspx

Casitas...
www.casitatraveltrailers.com

Burros...
www.burrotrailers.com

Travel trailers are like cars; the prices plummets after leaving the lot. Look for a fair condition used one for under $7K. :thumb:

Last edited:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep looking for a used one, unless you have a chunk of cash burning a hole in your pocket. I'm looking for one as well, so if you do notice a cheapo in someones front yard and you ain't interested, pass that booger on to me! :thumb:

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
For once, I was ahead of my time.
Bought my 17' Casita 5-6 years ago.
Towed it home from Arkansas.
It's a great little camper and worth the extra money for it's lack of maintainance.
What made those big camper companies think that a rubber roof was a good idea ??? :hammer:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
What did it cost you back then, $10K or less? Is it the one I saw on your property a year or two ago?

Trakternut

For once, I was ahead of my time.
Bought my 17' Casita 5-6 years ago.
Towed it home from Arkansas.
It's a great little camper and worth the extra money for it's lack of maintainance.
What made those big camper companies think that a rubber roof was a good idea ??? :hammer:

Rubber roof?? :ohmy:

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
You can get all of that in one of these egg-shaped trailers, just gonna have to pay for it in the current market conditions.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
What did it cost you back then, $10K or less? Is it the one I saw on your property a year or two ago?

Ya, 9K. It weighs around 3200 pounds.

Since then I bought a large used fifth wheel to use as a permenant camp.
Most trailers/campers have a rubber membrane roof. Garunteed to not leak for about 5 miles :glare:

Durwood RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
I gotta believe the prices are coming down in this recession. The camper dealer less then a mile from my house sells lots of campers because of his competitive pricing. Well, lots of campers aren't there in stock anymore and a person in the know says the bank ( or whoever is financing them )is taking them because he can't sell them at any price with the economy as it is.