• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

OC-12 brake bands "sticking"

AKdadio

Pat, others, I don't know how to describe it exactly, but I am looking at purchasing a DMC 1450, it steers very responsively, but when the brake bands release there is a "popping" sound almost like they stick a bit. I have not opened the diff to take a looksie, was hoping for some educated guesses first. Could they be too dry (not emough fluid)/ too wet (too full)/ too tight/ ideas??? Is this something to worry about or simply an adjustment / maintenance issue? HELP!~ I need to act fast on this cat.

Oh, and I am excited about the new catagory for technical stuff!!!!!!!

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Pat, others, I don't know how to describe it exactly, but I am looking at purchasing a DMC 1450, it steers very responsively, but when the brake bands release there is a "popping" sound almost like they stick a bit. I have not opened the diff to take a looksie, was hoping for some educated guesses first. Could they be too dry (not emough fluid)/ too wet (too full)/ too tight/ ideas??? Is this something to worry about or simply an adjustment / maintenance issue? HELP!~ I need to act fast on this cat.

Oh, and I am excited about the new catagory for technical stuff!!!!!!!

It is not uncommon on The Diff's if they have been sitting a while with lack of use to have them stick. But it could be a broken spring in the diff also. but if both sides a doing it that would be rare. it would be intresting to see what fluid it has in it if any?:coolshade Good luck and if you do not buy it let us now some one here I'm sure would. :weneedpic

Snowcat Pat

Don't let the sticking stop you from buy the machine, there are other things far more important in there to check. In addition to what boggie said it could be the slave cyls are worn/grooved/rusted to deep they sometimes stick a little from seal sticking or the piston could be so worn that it jams, also there is a check valve in the master cyl under the return spring that should have been removed on rebuilding sometimes it causes trouble sometimes not. Band sticking is also sometimes attributed to linings that are not grooved, I think that is a myth, but on a machine thats been sitting I'm not so sure. (Let's discuss that topic sometime). The compensator gears (cross pinions) and their bushings are the most easiest to see for wear if they are badly pitted on the gear teeth usually the bushings are worn out too and that makes for an expensive rebuild. This is by no means a complete list of inspection points.
I would never buy a Thiokol without at least opening the rear end lid first and checking, this means draining the oil too, and fishing in there with a magnet.

Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

Also, boggie-thanks for the OC12 manual upload now we can refer to part numbers to save confusion. Can we get one for th OC4 with drop boxes sometime?

AKdadio

Thank you for the comments. When I asked the owner what he puts in the diff he said he could not recall but he "topped it off". I know in the OC-4 there is a fill line and I used Aeroshell at the recommendation of forum members. Does the OC-12 also use mineral oil and have a mark / opening / line that you fill to? I will go look at it again- can the diff be inspected without "undoing" the brake cylinders? . . . . I need to leave this thread and look at the oc-12 threads and I can probably answer that one on my own, but someone might beat me to that. Thanks again.

Snowcat Pat

Hey AKdadio, Did you discover what was causing the brake band sticking on that 1450? I'd really like to know.
To answer your question -If you back off the band adjusting nuts you should be able to remove the lid with the slaves (after removing all the 5/16 hex screws). The hoses won't allow you to move the lid much though hopefully enough to see in there.
Pat Foster
Wallace Idaho

AKdadio

No, I am not sure yet- the diff seams healthy at first pass. But, I haven't dug into it very far yet- just haven't set aside time. I plan to post some pics on the diff while she is drained and will probably have some questions. Thanks for checking on me.