• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking for an "inverter" type "Quiet" generator ... suggestions?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm in the market for a small generator. Specifically one of the "quiet" style inverter type generators use for Tailgating parties, RV use, etc.

I need at least 2200 watts running, but would prefer 2500 watts run.

Critical is that I want QUIET as it will be used in neighborhoods for my wife's new house flipping business. It may run for 5 or 6 hours and I don't want to bother the neighbors any more than necessary with noise while we run some tools (miter saw, floor sander, similar sized tools ... but probably only 1 tool at any given time)

I already own a large Generac generator for my home. Also have a Generac pump that I bought for use at my property and its been flawless. I have a buddy that is a Generac dealer and he'll get me a Generac at his cost so I'm looking at this one but am wondering if anyone has experience with any other brand of the inverter type "Quiet" generators that I should consider as these little inverter "Quiet" generator tend to be priced at DOUBLE the price of a regular generator (but typically run about 20db quieter than other generators) and I'm willing to pay the premium for the "Quite" types.

Thoughts on this one? Or others that might be at least 2200 Watts running power.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp3500io

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.39.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.39.10 PM.png
    146.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.39.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.39.28 PM.png
    654.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.40.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.40.53 PM.png
    372.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.40.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 12.40.19 PM.png
    378.9 KB · Views: 55

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: Looking for an "inverter" type "Quiet" generator ... suggestions?

Don’t know about the quiet model but the two conventional Generacs I have are great! :thumb:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I have several generators. My 2 smallest are 2000W and 3500W Champions. Neither has ever given me a problem.

The 2000W is inverter and really quiet at under 50dB, the other is more traditional but is still pretty quiet at 68dB. You can stand next to it and have a conversation with someone without having to raise your voice.

Here's the 3500W.
https://www.amazon.com/Champion-3500-Watt-Ready-Portable-Generator/dp/B009E26LL2

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Yamaha 3000is. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap it hurts over and over. Buy the best and it only hurts once. I love mine.

Edgar10937

I have a 3000is honda, for the wife's horse trailer, very quiet expensive and very little surge(true of most of the small inverter units), I think Champion makes a knockoff that is about half of the honda, the 2000 honda and knockoff inverter units can be paralleled you need as well.
Edgar

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

I do like the looks of that Generac though. It has a 220 outlet to boot. I just may pick one of those up at that price point and give in a whirl.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Ooops, my bad. Upon closer examination that is NOT a 220V outlet, just a 25Amp 120V. Bummer.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I do like the looks of that Generac though. It has a 220 outlet to boot. I just may pick one of those up at that price point and give in a whirl.

It does NOT have a 220! That is an RV twistlock :thumbup:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Yamaha 3000is. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap it hurts over and over. Buy the best and it only hurts once. I love mine.

Wow twice the WEIGHT of the Generac, even with wheels I'm not sure my wife could get that up/down a ramp from the bed of her pick up. But it sure looks like a nice unit. Ticks every box of desires except for ease of portability.

I have a 3000is honda, for the wife's horse trailer, very quiet expensive and very little surge(true of most of the small inverter units), I think Champion makes a knockoff that is about half of the honda, the 2000 honda and knockoff inverter units can be paralleled you need as well.
Edgar

I like this one. Not a lot heavier than the Generac. Weighs a lot less than the Yamaha, which makes it more suitable for my wife as it will have to be moved around. Price is a lot higher than the Generac.

snowstorm

GOLD Site Supporter

I have had the Honda eu 2000 for about 12 years probably 2500 hours on it never a hiccup with it. Very quiet,very fuel efficient. Thinking about moving up to their 3000 model just for more juice, but can honestly say I would never bother with another brand.

Edgar10937

Wow twice the WEIGHT of the Generac, even with wheels I'm not sure my wife could get that up/down a ramp from the bed of her pick up. But it sure looks like a nice unit. Ticks every box of desires except for ease of portability.

I like this one. Not a lot heavier than the Generac. Weighs a lot less than the Yamaha, which makes it more suitable for my wife as it will have to be moved around. Price is a lot higher than the Generac.
Mine is too heavy to consider wife loading/unloading from/to back of pickup, I use loader for mine

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Mine is too heavy to consider wife loading/unloading from/to back of pickup, I use loader for mine

As a part time career in her early retirement, I set my wife up a house flipping business. Most of the work is hired out but she does do painting and trim carpentry. She needs a generator that is small enough for her and her sister to move about. I'd probably add a wheel kit to any generator.

loboloco

Probably the quietest is the Honda brand. They are not, however, cheap. From my encounters with them, they are very reliable.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Probably the quietest is the Honda brand. They are not, however, cheap. From my encounters with them, they are very reliable.

I believe that WAS true but the last year or two a lot of companies have hit the market with these small quite/inverter type gen sets.

In no particular order, probably missing a few brands, and in addition to HONDA:
  • Generac
  • Ryobi
  • WEN
  • Westinghouse
  • Yamaha

All have models that are in the 52 to 57 db range while operating. Most are in the 1800 to 2500 Watt range. A few go to 3000+ watts.

All of these things are DOUBLE to QUADRUPLE the price of a standard open cage generator. Some are small enough to have a carry handle on the top. Some are enclosed in a plastic case. Some have wheels and a retractable handle like a "carry on" style suitcase!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I'm also checking on a price for this unit. Slightly smaller and lighter. Quieter and more expensive. This unit would probably be more than enough to fill her needs.

The main reason I was looking at the larger unit was for the extra capacity in a power failure so my sister-in-law could use it in an emergency. This unit probably is not good for that usage.

But this smaller unit has got enough power to run the paint sprayer, or a miter saw or a floor sander so it would fulfill the "work site" requirement without any real issues. It also weighs less and could be lugged around a bit easier.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp3000i

The main reason I'm leaning toward GENERAC is because of a couple of reasons:
  • I can get one from my friend at his cost.
  • I have 2 current GENERAC units and both work flawlessly
That said, I am considering other similar units.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.23.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.23.39 AM.png
    290.9 KB · Views: 27
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.23.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.23.17 AM.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.23.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.23.01 AM.png
    110.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.22.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.22.26 AM.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.21.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.21.50 AM.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 25

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

I really rather liked this RYOBI unit but I worry it is just a bit small. I pretty much set my minimum at 2200 Watts running power, and this one is 1800 run/2200 surge. QUIET, feature rich, weighs only 53 pounds and rolls with a retractable handle so it would be very easy for my wife to move around, probably could get it into and out of a truck bed without help.

https://www.ryobitools.com/outdoor/products/details/2300-starting-watt-bluetooth-inverter-generator

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.35.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.35.38 AM.png
    512.9 KB · Views: 25

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Westinghouse makes 2 versions of this same unit. This is the OSHA complaint version, but there is also a consumer version. Same unit, slightly different control panels.

Both have same specs. 2500 watt surge/2200 watt running. So this would also suit the needs for my wife to run a tool or two.

https://www.westinghouseportablepower.com/shop/all-products/ipro2500/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.50.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.50.08 AM.png
    270.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.50.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 7.50.40 AM.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 26

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

If the Ryobi is at a reasonable price point, you should be able parallel two units to increase output if needed. Of course, that may be more "hassle" then Mother would want to deal with but is alway an option. I like the looks of both of those and never knew Westinghouse made a unit. I love these types of threads. :clap:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

If the Ryobi is at a reasonable price point, you should be able parallel two units to increase output if needed. Of course, that may be more "hassle" then Mother would want to deal with but is alway an option. I like the looks of both of those and never knew Westinghouse made a unit. I love these types of threads. :clap:

The Ryobi is in stock at Home Depot for $599 for a single unit. But then you are doubling the noise (not the peak volume but rather the amount) and doubling the fuel and doubling the maintenance. At which point I'd just buy the first Generac generator in this thread and add a wheel kit to it. 1 unit to maintain for simplicity.

Ryobi is using a Japanese designed and built product. Quality control in Japan is generally far better than supposed quality control on Chinese built products, so that is a major bonus for Ryobi. Ryobi is sold by Home Depot, not sure about future parts, service and support if any is required.

Westinghouse has come out with an entire line of generators from little RV units to whole house units. I'm unsure about their origin and design and not sure of their infrastructure of repair shops. I suspect its all China engineered and built, at least at the smaller end of their spectrum. By and large these seem to be sold by BOX STORES and INTERNET, all of which is fine, but not sure about parts, repairs, etc in the future if required.

Generac has authorized dealers and service centers. American designed units, lots of American made stuff. In MOST these smaller gas engines I believe the engine is actually made in China to Generac's design and passes Generac's quality control in both China and the US. Their larger stuff and higher end stuff is American produced. Parts, repairs, etc for Generac products is NOT an issue as their infrastructure is solid for support. Generac does sell some rebranded, low end products through the box stores, those are Chinese products. Generac also sells some of their products through BOX STORES, but not their full line up.

While I am NOT interested in either of these, it is clear that there is some 'inbreeding' in the generator market ... and these are 1/2 price clones of a HONDA model.

GENERAC rebranded Chinese generator is identical to one of the WESTINGHOUSE generators >>> http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp2200i

WESTINGHOUSE branded Chinese generator that identical to the GENERAC generator >>> https://www.westinghouseportablepower.com/shop/all-products/igen2200/

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

And just to add a bit more confusion to the mix, here is the "consumer" version of the WESTINGHOUSE OSHA approved generator I posted above.

https://www.westinghouseportablepower.com/shop/all-products/igen2500/

This unit has a different control panel and it also allows for Parallel connection to another unit to double the output. Again, not something that I'm particularly interested in but for those interested it is an option in this unit.

Now after all of these posts, I'm still leaning toward the Generac units. Not sure which unit, either would be suitable. Extra wattage is always good, but extra wattage comes with greater weight and size and less portability.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 9.29.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 9.29.07 AM.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 9.28.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 9.28.53 AM.png
    505.4 KB · Views: 23

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

Sounds to me the Generac unit will fit your needs given that sound output is a major consideration. Just bear in mind that even though parallel operation is not on your short list currently, it could become more important in a SHTF situation where not disturbing your neighbors is the least of your concerns.

I try to plan ahead. :yum:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Sounds to me the Generac unit will fit your needs given that sound output is a major consideration. Just bear in mind that even though parallel operation is not on your short list currently, it could become more important in a SHTF situation where not disturbing your neighbors is the least of your concerns.

I try to plan ahead. :yum:

FWIW I already have a Generac natural gas unit hardwired to the house.

Also both of the Generac units that I am considering above can be paralleled, together, should my future needs change.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter

FWIW I already have a Generac natural gas unit hardwired to the house.

Also both of the Generac units that I am considering above can be paralleled, together, should my future needs change.

Roger that.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

After much deliberation, reading reviews, comparing specs, considering the actual usages for the new generator, and getting the input from the peanut gallery here at FF, but still without any firm prices, I am 90% sure that I will be buying the Generac that I linked in the first post in this thread.

Not the cheapest generator on the market. Far from the most expensive. It will run everything my wife needs it to run, with a good bit of surplus available. It will likely run at 50% to 70% of capacity most of the time. It is quiet. It is an inverter type with clean energy. Its small enough to stuff in a corner in the workshop. Its light enough to lift should I need to lug it around, but I'll likely add a wheel kit so she can roll it.

So unless something crazy happens, my friend will be giving me a price tomorrow and I'll very likely be placing an order. There is an off-chance that I may pick up the slightly smaller, slightly quieter, slightly lighter Generac, which is actually priced higher ... but only if the price makes it too attractive to pass up.

The safe bet? >>> http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp3500io

The longshot? >>> http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp3000i

Either way, I'll be happy the choice.

Can't see paying the big bucks for a Honda or Yamaha. Just don't really expect it to get enough use to justify those prices. This is not a do-or-die tool choice. Its a convenience. I need reasonable reliability and those other 2 brands are probably better, but I don't see the value for my wife's projected usage ... not even if she uses it 3 times as often as I project!

On the other hand I don't want to go with one of the cheap brands or one of the more traditional open frame units at lower prices because of weight and noise and size.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

FWIW I used the new Generac 3500iO generator today. (3500 watt surge/3000 running watts)

WOW, can't believe how quiet this thing is. Can easily sit next to it and carry on a conversation at normal volume levels. No shouting or even raised voices. Smaller than I expected too, which is a good thing.

Easy to pull start and it has a pretty much idiot proof CHOKE/RUN/STOP dial on the face of the unit.

Light enough for me to lift, but I'd prefer not to carry it any farther than is needed, so its not going on the next cross country hiking trip! I can get it into/out of the truck by myself and move it around as needed.

I will likely add a generic wheel kit since Generac does not sell a kit for this unit. The lovely Mrs_Bob will need a wheel kit so no need to torture myself.

I'm impressed. It is not going to power a city, or even the guest apartment, but it has enough power to run the furnace and a couple selected light fixtures at the guest apartment if I decide to put in a transfer switch/hook up.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

Congratulations Bob. I think that you made a good choice.

I bought mine several years ago to power the 5th wheel when the choices were Honda, Yamaha and several cheap Chinese models. I chose the Yamaha 3000is with electric start and the power boost feature that draws power from the battery for 15 seconds to raise the capacity to 5kW to help in starting motors and stuff. It has been a wonderful machine and soooo quiet but as you mentioned earlier, it is heavy and with 2 small, fixed wheels, it's not all that manoeuvrable.

If I were to buy another one now I'd probably go with the Generac like you did or move up to the big Honda but you're talking almost $4k for that bad boy. That's a chunk of cash for a machine that only sees occasional use in an emergency.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Congratulations Bob. I think that you made a good choice.

If I were to buy another one now I'd probably go with the Generac like you did or move up to the big Honda but you're talking almost $4k for that bad boy. That's a chunk of cash for a machine that only sees occasional use in an emergency.

My goals with this was to pick one small enough to be (fairly) easily transportable.
  • This fits that bill as I can lift & lug it. I am going to add a generic wheel kit to make it even easier.
  • It also fits UNDER the bed cover on the pick-up truck with a couple inches to spare, and will easily tuck under a work bench for storage.

Secondary goal is to power the furnace fan & a couple small circuits at the guest apartment. This also fills that goal.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

Much as I like this little generator I have found 1 fault.

There is no "wheel kit" for the diminutive unit.

In fact I'm having a hard time figuring out how to adapt a wheel kit to this little thing. I've tried adapting 2 different "universal" kits to the little GENERAC generator without any luck.

Its just too small, roll cage tube diameter is smaller, everything is scaled down compared to other units. Even compared to the same brand's 3250watt generator this unit is only about 50% of its size. But at 75# without fuel in the tank, its a bit too heavy to easily move about. I have no problem lifting it into the truck bed, but its not fun to carry out to a worksite.

At this point I'm using an old furniture dolly and I may resign myself to modifying the furniture dolly by adding somewhat larger rubber wheels to replace the current, tiny, hard plastic wheels.

FWIW: Big bonus points go to the muffler on this thing, it is SUPER QUIET at idle and quiet enough under load that its usually the tool that is being powered that is heard rather than the generator.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter

blah blah blah ...

At this point I'm using an old furniture dolly and I may resign myself to modifying the furniture dolly by adding somewhat larger rubber wheels to replace the current, tiny, hard plastic wheels.

blah blah blah ...

2 trips back and forth to Tractor Supply and I ended up buying a new heavy duty furniture dolly with large rubber wheels.

TSC wanted $12.99 each for rubber wheels in the 4 to 5" size range. They had a pre-made 1200# capacity furniture dolly with 4" rubber wheels already built for $44. Easy choice. Bought the new dolly and consider the problem solved. I might add a dog leash to it and pull it around like a stubborn pup, but at least these larger wheels won't get stuck on the bumpy asphalt or concrete. Not going to roll well across grass or gravel, but for now it seems to be a good compromise solution.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter

I know a couple of people who have had the same problem.

One used one of those metal hand carts that you see at garden centers to move his generator around. It worked very well on hard surfaces but not so well on grass but it was doable.

The second used one of the Garden Way carts with 18" wheels to move his. He could haul that sucker anywhere.