• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Bombi diff opinion?

Colocat387

Ok so rebuilding this diff and have run into a couple problems.
FB_IMG_1483973091625.jpg
First we were rebuilding because the passenget side drum was loose. So we replaced the bushings on both drums. This helped but did not fix the problem. The carrier half must be worn so needs replaced or fixed or not worried about?
20161231_192533.jpg
Second one of the drums has cracks coming from the bolt holes outward towards brake ride surface. (Attaching picture) this happens to be the loose drum. What are the chances of it breaking while I'm way out in the wilderness because of the excess play?
Screenshot_2017-01-09-07-48-48.jpg
Third the gears on shafts in center of carrier are a little chewed up. What is the availability and cost of these? Or just run them?
20161222_153218.jpg
Lastly All the brake shoes were cracked and are now getting welded.

Looking for opinions on what I should do or if I should just not worry about it and go forward with the project and try to open it up once in a while to check it. I know my options of replacing/fixing carrier just not sure if I should worry about the play in the drum or not? As far as the gears I'm interested if they are available through a part number or something. (Hopefully not too expensive).
Thank you for your time.

Ps. Cat is sitting a a diff shop

Last edited:
I would weld the brake band----and on your cracked hub---not sure how much room u have--but ---is there away that u can make or have made a steel plate with that bolt pattern and use it like a big washer to support it and sandwich it in between---I would go like 3/16 or 1/4 thick-----the trouble with a bombi is that a lot of clubs tried to groom trails with them and they weren't really built for that----a bombi turns pretty easy with out dead weight behind them----another trick is to cut the edges of your cleats at a 45 degree angle----it will help it turn and on hard ground with out walking out of your tracks----if you plan on towing a load u had better put a ram steer on it---it will help take load off from steering and your diff.----it also keeps both track pulling---not one or the other when turning

Colocat387

The shoes are welded up and ready to get sent to get relined.
Thank you for the idea on the 45s on the grousers I will most likely do that because they are worn out anyway.

there isn't much room to fit a plate but I will look again. On the inside of drum there are gears that I think ride pretty close to drum then on then out side you have your carrier bearing which is very close clearance to the bolt heads that hold the drum to gear.
I guess my biggest worry is that brake drum exploding while out in the middle of nowhere and leaving me stranded or working on it far far away from any parts. You have to pull track sprockets shafts carrier out then get carrier bearing off to acess that drum.

The carrier "shaft" is worn so the new drum bushing that sit's in gear isn't tight and you can wiggle the drum so it might put more force on the drum and either cause it to break or quickly wear bushing out.
So the fixes are:
get the carrier shaft welded around then turned down to match bearing so that would get rid of free play in drum.
Then possibly make a new drum (this won't be cheap)
Or don't worry about it breakin and try to keep an eye on cracks?
What are the chances of this brake drum exploding and leaving me stranded?

is there away to make the plate with the center hole big enough to clear bearing---even if u had to use 1/8 thick---and than also drill some 1/4 inch hole in the plate and than plug weld the holes to help bond it to the drum-----if u have the room to do it---bolt plate on to your hub--take and pre heat the hub at the hole and weld it---cover the hub and let it cool slow----not sure what you have for a machine shop but you can buy bushings through Kaman bearings--any size---I would buy over size od--and under size id---turn od for a press fit---than bore inside id for the shaft size with bushing pressed in to drum----I might even go size for size on the id and let it seat in

Colocat387

There is no room for the plate. If you space the bolts out they will hit the carrier bearing. I talked to bogie for a while and I think we are just going to run it as is and keep an eye on it
Thank you for your help

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
I would replace the cracked drum ! for the cost of having to go back into the differential sometime soon,maybe broken gears or parts, i wouldn't use it.JMO