• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My son and football

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So, my son is going into 8th grade. After getting past Mrs. Zoom, he's now on the football team. :clap:

Practices have been going on for about a month now and the coaches have now picked initial positions for each player.

My son is the fastest kid on the team but unfortunately, catching isn't his strong suit yet. I thought he'd then be perfect for playing Free Safety.

Unfortunately, he's also one of the 6 largest players on the team. Our school is so small there's only 50 boys in each grade. They're going to start him as a Guard and they're discussing putting him on the defensive line as a Tackle. Not sure if you can play Iron Man football at this level and play both offense and defense. In his grade, he may be able to hold his own since at 13, a lot of what should be lineman aren't up to size yet. Lineman is not where I was hoping he would be. :sad:

The good news is that my sons middle school team practices next to the Varsity team. The Varsity players and coaches have noticed my son during the practices. When my son's team is doing their distance running, he's way out front and the Varsity team cheers him on.

So, my son has been hearing whispers of him possibly being on the Varsity team starting his Freshman year. That would be seriously cool, especially since the whispers also include positions like being a Safety.

Time will tell.

k-dog

Congrats to your son! That is the bad part about a small school is that in sports a player doesn't get put where excels instead he is put where the need is. Being fast and big, middle linebacker would be an awesome position. Big enough to fight off linemen to make a play, yet fast enough to cover a running back out of the back field and make plays in the secondary. If he works on the catching part, he would make for a pretty scary tight end, too big for the faster kids and too fast for the bigger kids to cover him.

The main thing is he is having fun!!!

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm probably not the guy you want to hear from.

I was alot like your son, big and fast. I was assigned as a offensive guard, and defensive end.

Small school, and I did so as expected...

I was injured in the right knee, and to this day if I cold take it back I would. As the years pass this is now more true. It was not worth the results for me.
But this is just my personal experience, yours will vary...

Regards, Kirk

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
When I say my son is big, it's relative to his teammates. He's actually pretty skinny.

I do like him on defense so he gets to do the tackle instead of being tackled. He'll be the one controlling the hit.

Kirk - I get you on injuries. That was Mrs. Zoom's concern. I know there's an inherent risk but at the level our school plays, it's not real intense. Our family has been going to every home game for the last several years. (I run the 50/50). Although I don't see every play, I do see the ambulance which is always there as well as watching (cheering) the team as they leave the field after the game. I've yet to see any significant injury or the EMT's at the ambulance ever have to look at one of the players.

I'm waiting to see the quality of the pads provided by the school. If I don't like them, we'll get him his own. If he is going to be playing line, we'll also be getting him neck and rib protection if not provided.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
They're all confused...

Now they think they want him in as running back.

First game (although a scrimmage) is next week.