• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Europe: Swine Flu Shots by Invitation Only

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm, this sounds like 'rationed' health care to me :rolleyes: But our leaders say we won't have this type of health care :whistling:

In Europe, most swine flu shots by invitation only
By MARIA CHENG, AP Medical Writer – 47 mins ago
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091106/ap_on_he_me/eu_med_europe_swine_flu

LONDON – In Britain, there are no long lines of people seeking swine flu vaccine. Doctor's offices aren't swamped with desperate calls. And there are no cries of injustice that the vaccine is going to wealthy corporations or healthy people who don't really need it.

Here, and across most of Europe, vaccine to protect against the pandemic flu is mostly given by invitation only to those at highest risk for flu complications.

"That is one of the great advantages of the British health system," said Dr. Steve Field, president of the Royal College of General Physicians. "We have a list of all the names of patients who qualify to be vaccinated."

mak2

Hmmm, this sounds like 'rationed' health care to me :rolleyes: But our leaders say we won't have this type of health care :whistling:

You been watching TV? Sounds like here. In that there is priortization of who recieves it first.

Last edited:

mak2

"including pregnant women, health workers and those with chronic health problems like diabetes, cancer and AIDS — get the shots first." What did I miss? I thought they were still giving our H1N1 shots to the ones who most need it.

mak2

Limited quantities of the H1N1 flu vaccine continue to gradually be shipped to Indiana. Based on the latest data available in the Children and Hoosiers Immunization Registry Program (CHIRP), a total of 125,458 individuals in Indiana have received the 2009 H1N1 flu vaccine to date.

Indiana’s 93 local health departments will be determining how the H1N1 flu vaccine will be distributed in their communities, as it becomes available in the coming months. This site will be updated as information is provided by the 93 local health departments. Information on H1N1 flu vaccine availability, per county/city* health department follows:

mak2

this sounds like 'rationed' health care to me But our leaders say we won't have this type of health care

if not hysteria, what would you call it?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
"including pregnant women, health workers and those with chronic health problems like diabetes, cancer and AIDS — get the shots first." What did I miss? I thought they were still giving our H1N1 shots to the ones who most need it.

Don't forget CitiBank and Goldman/Sachs workers.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Oh wait, was you pointing out how screwed up our current system is? Sometimes I am kinda slow.

Yes, I am point that out because the swine flu shot are actually being distributed by the US Government, not by private distribution channels as the other flu shots are distributed! The government, in this case the NYC health department, put those companies on the list to get the shots so they got them.

Why is our government delivering/distributing THIS vaccine when we have established medical distribution systems for ALL OTHER vaccines?

mak2

I dunno, I will have to read some more. I know some delivery points for flu vaccines make big profits every year. Oh yea, isnt Bloomberg a Wall Street guy. I dont know how NYC decided to distribute it but the mayor might have sent a little to his old buddies.

mak2

Thank you. Let us know what you find out.

I think what confused me was the sudden concern with the people who can afford to pay being the ones recieving medical care first. That is the way it is now. Thought you guys liked that?

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I think what confused me was the sudden concern with the people who can afford to pay being the ones recieving medical care first. That is the way it is now. Thought you guys liked that?

Clearly you totally misunderstand what happened. Because what you describe is not factual.

There are plenty who can afford (with or without insurance) it AND are in high risk groups but the government decided to change the game and distribute this drug itself. In doing so it made very odd choices in where the drug was shipped and allocated. While medical professionals named the high risk groups many times, the bureaucrats chose to send the drug to several Wall Street firms, and to the prisoners in GITMO, and some selected other LOW RISK places first. Only through public outcry did the GITMO prisoners get their vaccines pulled back and reallocated. They are a very very low risk population for several reasons, not the least of which are age and isolation. Wall Street is also a low risk environment due to the age issues.

But school teachers, children, those with chronic diseases were bypassed in NYC in favor of Wall Street.

Now I don't say that Wall Street types should not get the drug, but it does make sense that if the government is going to stick their hands into the private sector then it should do what Obama claims and look out for the public good and take care of the weakest among us. Why should kids in NYC, who are at very high risk, be bypassed by this administration when the firms that backed Obama's campaign get the drugs for their low risk workers?

mak2

OK I was not really paying attention. You are saying, just so I understanad, that because some governemtn entity handled distribution of the vaccine, and some of it went to Goldman/Sachs (yet to appropriate risk people) and Gitmo and some other low risk people there will be something wrong with universal healthcare, correct?

I also heard one of the Winger radio whackos talking about 2 children in NYC school system got the vaccine by accident. He decided "social" medicine would get us more "forced' vaccinations.

That is why I wasnt paying attention. Sorry I will try to do better.

daedong

To summarize the original article, in the UK the most vulnerable can get the vacs first and they will have enough to do the whole population within 2 months. The problem with this is........?

This to me is probably not good enough, we in Australia have enough vacs to do the whole nation now. Universal healthcare, it is a bummer ain't it Bob.

Galvatron

Spock and Galvatron < one and the same
Just a note on my experience so far with the availability of the swine flu jab in the UK...

My 7 year old Daughter recently had an appointment with the Asthma clinic and got her annual standard Flu jab (having Asthma she gets this each year to prevent any complications,for free without waiting or begging for it....all for free except the fact it's not free i pay for this service when i pay my Taxes)...anyway....whilst attending the appointment she was also offered the Swine Flu jab,great you may think but my dear wife starts the 1000 question session to drive the nurse mad and up pops the question "is there anything in that jab that could irritate an existing allergy"....in fact yes there is....the swine Flu jab thats available at the moment in the UK has egg content in some way or form(don't ask me how i am no scientist).

So no my Daughter has not had the jab....and my Prime minister needs his private area re-adjusting with my steel cap work boots for telling a whole nation "we are prepared and the process of vaccinating everyone in the UK is underway"....but hey i never expected him to tell the truth on this matter as he would not break the habit of a life time now and start being honest.

But i was grateful to the nurse for listening to our concerns and helping us make the right choices.

And by the way here under Government health guidelines a whacked up junkie is entitled to the swine flu jab before me due to the fact he as cocked up his immune system and is at greater risk than me....my fault i guess for taking care of myself:unsure:

And when is the egg free version of the jab becoming available you may ask.....well i aint a clue and i bet Gordon Brown has no clue either.

daedong

Galv Welcome back mate,
It might pay to look into this a bit closer as i am under the impression all flu vacs have egg traces not just H1N1.

Galvatron

Galv Welcome back mate,
It might pay to look into this a bit closer as i am under the impression all flu vacs have egg traces not just H1N1.

Thanks Vin you have got me on over time now thinking on this....i think my nurse is gonna be getting a whole lot more questions....i will do a little internet research but i want to get answers from a professional.....now you have opened a whole new can of worms.

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Another point of concern with H1N1 is that if you don't get your children vaccinated and they happen to get it when all the hospitals are already full of patients and all the ventilator equipment is already being used - what happens then? The deaths that are occurring from H1N1 are primarily from pneumonia. Severe pneumonia treatments require hospitalization.

Galv - do you not have some form of Doctor you can talk too? I think Vin is right about all the vaccines being egg based. Is your daughter allergic to eggs?

Galvatron

I have phoned my Doctor and he says the nurse should have known and pointed out the egg factor for the normal flu jab as well as the swine flu one.....she should have done a skin test and been monitored for 30 min after the normal flu jab.....WTF

He is calling back later to give me some answers and thanks me for bringing this up.

so much for me thinking i had a good nurse.....will get the facts first before i go overboard.