• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Hi all ! Just got home from a little trip

SShepherd

We spend 8 days in Jerusalem.

P3060309.jpg

IMG_1129.jpg

P3060293.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Good pics. Tell us more please. Guessing highlights was sight seeing but how was the food and the lodging accommodations? How big is Jerusalem (can you compare it in size to a US city?)? That would sure be an interesting trip. :thumb: Thanks for sharing!!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome. A group from our church just came back from there. There were about 20 people that travelled to Turkey then on to Jerusalem touring many different holy sites.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Very cool trip I'm betting. Don't think I would be comfortable traveling there though. Any issues with the language barrier? How far does a dollar go over there?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
MORE PICTURES PLEASE (even if they have you in them).

I'd love to go there, just never had the chance to do so. Maybe next year?

Please give us some details. The pictures you posted are amazing. More please!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome Pictures. More Please!!!!!

Jerusalem is one of the few, very few, places that I'd still like to see someday. Having seen a large chunk of this world there aren't many places that impress me anymore, certainly not enough to actually go there but Israel might be one of them. If I ever get tired of discovering America I might just do it.

Do they stamp your passport when entering Israel these days? For a time they gave you a slip of paper to keep with your passport because having an Israeli stamp in your passport could cause all kinds of problems if you ever went to one of the Arab countries.

SShepherd

Good pics. Tell us more please. Guessing highlights was sight seeing but how was the food and the lodging accommodations? How big is Jerusalem (can you compare it in size to a US city?)? That would sure be an interesting trip. :thumb: Thanks for sharing!!!!

Food was fantastic, I've changed the way I eat in the last 18 months and it fit right in. A lot of vegetables, fruit, and fish. The hotels are like anywhere, you get what you pay for. Size, Jerusalem is about 800k people. The old city is about 1km square, you realize that things are a lot closer together than you have in your minds eye after hearing stories about this place all your life.

SShepherd

Very cool trip I'm betting. Don't think I would be comfortable traveling there though. Any issues with the language barrier? How far does a dollar go over there?

NO language barrier unless they don't want to speak to you, most isrealis seem to speak about 4 languages. The dollar is about 3.5 sheckles, which really means little. Prices are on par with any other big city.

SShepherd

MORE PICTURES PLEASE (even if they have you in them).

I'd love to go there, just never had the chance to do so. Maybe next year?

Please give us some details. The pictures you posted are amazing. More please!

lol, A few of those pics are from the church of the holy sepulchre . I'm actually in the 4th pic :biggrin:.
The night time pic is about 75yrds into the old city right as you start down into the area of tiny shops, it's like diadom alley down in there. Alleys and twists and turns that we started to go down into the first day but were afraid of getting lost- and we actually did. We ended up walking to a place here we were told, "GO BACK, MOSLEMS ONLY". I'll just leave that comment hang.
We were welcomed into any synagogue or church...........

SShepherd

NO passport stamp. I can't say we ever felt like we were going to be mugged or had nefarious people following us. Yes, there is an undeniable feeling of tension in the air. I don't know if it's always been that way in Jerusalem or not but I suspect it has simply because of the nature of the place. IDF presence is always visable and for good reason.
The cities quarters are pretty interesting. The Christian Quarter (dark, old, dusty) definatly had the feeling I thought it would. Crusade era buildings..if you like Indiana Jones you'll love it. The greek orthodox and Franciscan influences are obvious. Funny story;
it was cold when we re there, in the upper 40's and rain. I wore a black jacket, hat and didn't think much about it. Well, it seems the greek orthodox monks wear all black with hats, and they have long hair and beards- I was called father a few times catching a few locals off guard .
The Moslem quarter.....
Dark, dirty...to be honest it reminded me of mexico. Same feeling from shop owners trying to pull you in and hock there wares.
The Jewish quarter.
Bright, new, clean, children and families all over, it was actually pretty peacefull !

Here's a pretty detailed trip report I posted on Trip Advisor
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...n_Jerusalem-Jerusalem_Jerusalem_District.html