• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

WTS 1983 Tucker 1744

firedzr

WTS ~ 1983 Tucker Model 1744. Five-man cab, Detroit 453T and Allison automatic transmission. Front Winch, block heater, transfer case cooler. Gently used with only 1718 hours total. Former Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. historic unit from Pumping Station 12. Excellent condition inside and out. Comprehensive service records plus limited edition copy of the book by "Alyeska-A 30 year Journey". For sale with 20 foot gooseneck trailer (with winch) in excellent condition (perfect transport). Current season snow-ready!!! $34,999. All reasonable and respectful offers considered.
Located in Central CA. Serious buyers only. Extensive photos available. Private Message for all inquiries.

Attachments

• waiting for snow.jpg
    waiting for snow.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 1,345
  • track.jpg
    track.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 1,297
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 1,261
  • int rear.jpg
    int rear.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 1,283
  • DSC01813.JPG
    DSC01813.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,260
  • DSC01811.JPG
    DSC01811.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 1,251
  • data resize.jpg
    data resize.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 1,264
  • dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 453T email.jpg
    453T email.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 1,270
Last edited:

firedzr

Thanks for the comment. Yes, this Tucker is exceptional. Passing Medford on our way home from the port in Seattle, we stopped at the Tucker factory. The whole crew came out to view this Tucker. The comments ranged from, "these were the best models we ever made" to "like it's been in a time capsule."
We will , of course, separate the Tucker from the trailer. The asking price for the Sno-Cat is $26K. All serious offers considered.

PJL

You picked it up in Seattle? Wish I had known. That's my neck of the woods.

firedzr

Yes. Alaska Marine Lines transported the Tucker from the 49th state to their dock at the Port of Seattle. They did an excellent job. We can certainly recommend them to anyone.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Re: WTS 1983 Tucker 1744 SOLD!!!!

that was the cleanest Detroit I have ever seen, shure you have oil in it?

firedzr

Re: WTS 1983 Tucker 1744 SOLD!!!!

"Yes" the previous sale of this fine Sno-Cat fell through and the Tucker is available once again for all those that missed the opportunity.
Call Mary Guthrie at Snotrans for further details and pricing.
By the way, the engine is a Detroit 453 Turbo with an Allison auto transmission.

Bobcatbob

GOLD Site Supporter
The Detroit 453 is a fantastic engine! The power these beasts create is amazing! I rebuilt this one 3 years ago (non turbo)....put it on a test stand to set he rack, break in.....runs and sounds like none other! I had no idea a Tucker had these beauts in them.

firedzr

Yes, Tucker did use them for all the reasons you stated - power, minimal size and weight. Tucker tried a V6 Cummins around the same time but it proved unsuitable. The issue with the Detroit was the ever-stricter emission standards and that killed the entire line of those series of engines. However, you still find allot of these Detroit's in agricultural and marine applications. Reliable, strong, light weight (compared to their competition).
Glad you like your engine!

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, Tucker did use them for all the reasons you stated - power, minimal size and weight. Tucker tried a V6 Cummins around the same time but it proved unsuitable. The issue with the Detroit was the ever-stricter emission standards and that killed the entire line of those series of engines. However, you still find allot of these Detroit's in agricultural and marine applications. Reliable, strong, light weight (compared to their competition).
Glad you like your engine!
you forgot leaking to, like Harleys they like to mark their spot. Joking aside I do also have a 6v71 in a terex loader and that is the only thing that doesn't leak. detroits sound sexy on start up but like an old lady one dosent want to have to listen to them all day long.

Harold

Hello all, long shot here, but would anyone know where this manual ended up?
I would like to get a copy, hopefully it would have info relevant to the 1983 1744 I pickup up in Alaska.
Or if anyone would have factory documents for a unit like this one, please let me know.
Thx. Harold

Attachments

• DSC01813.JPG
    DSC01813.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 14

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
mIght be better to make a new wanted to buy post or maybe ask in the parts and modification area.

Tucker is usually pretty responsive about manuals.