• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Mid 80's bike

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I got the forks back today. Both are completely rebuilt internally. I was anxious to get them back on the bike so I can concentrate on painting the remaining body parts. There's still the upper front fairing, one saddle bag and the lower half of the upper rear luggage. I also have to clean up the front rim a bit. The tire is only temporarily installed so I can move the bike around the garage. Slowly but surely she's coming back to life.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448665854597.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1448665854597.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 240

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got the forks back today. Both are completely rebuilt internally. I was anxious to get them back on the bike so I can concentrate on painting the remaining body parts. There's still the upper front fairing, one saddle bag and the lower half of the upper rear luggage. I also have to clean up the front rim a bit. The tire is only temporarily installed so I can move the bike around the garage. Slowly but surely she's coming back to life.

Keep up the good work, it's fun to watch!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm enjoying rebuilding it. Even if I may never be able to ride it again. It's kinda therapeutic having a project to keep me busy.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I painted the bottom half of the upper trunk a couple days ago. Today I installed the backrest and grab handle to the top half. I also put on the chrome luggage rack. The trunk is now complete and mounted on the bike. I also loosely fit the gas tank on.

bd2ae0d921775c404ac73383f02f9f99.jpg
8053515323ae75117c528a2fe5287895.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I still had one saddlebag and the front fairing to paint. Paint was getting rather expensive at roughly $35 a can. I'm on my 5th can (don't tell my wife) lol. Anyway, I went to a different automotive store today to look at what they had for paint. My plan was to pick up something cheaper that would closely match and lay down a couple base coats then finish it off with my remaining can of the expensive stuff. I'll be darned. I found almost an exact match for only $12 a can. Oh well. Live n learn. Turns out I was right. The cheap stuff was exactly the same as the expensive stuff. Almost done painting now. I only have a few touch ups to do then I can reassemble everything.

9c917e609cff53bb13679ebbcdb11047.jpg
559f221204f8939bb9afaf3a5877dc8d.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Progress [emoji2] She's looking like a bike again. I still have a ways to go but it's coming together nicely. I had to respray one of the trunk lids and the front fender as they didn't match the rest of the bike.

The parts bike came with a backrest but no mounting brackets. The brackets are like gold and very hard to find. I found a set on ebay that were listed as fairing mounts. They are now on their way.

2b1ac249e621b0212e58f515570a31ad.jpg
b043dfbf288b27e5221dc6957c2699f3.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I spent a couple hours today working on the fairing. I got the mirrors and windshield installed as well as the signal lights. I have a couple things left to install on the fairing then work on the wiring. The headlight and chrome bezel looks good.
2fd65bf1f6967d8ec4868a6a06170cca.jpg
11492621cfce98a01068e3c11fd6af13.jpg

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The finish line is in sight for the old girl. I lost steam on it around Christmas when I ended up in the hospital for a few days. Now I just can't seem to drag my ass out to the garage to finish up. All that's left is to install the wiring for the front lights and fill up the antifreeze then throw the plastics on her. I just can't seem to bring myself to do it since I'm still in no shape to ride. I'm starting to scare myself with the thought of getting back on but not because of the accident or a fear of bikes but rather because I'm scared of coming to a stop and my legs giving out on me. The wing is a heavy bike. Which is why I'm considering either adding a side car, getting a trike kit or getting something smaller and lighter. I'm thinking something early 2000's and cruiser. We'll see. No rush.