• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

A good flashlight?

dzalphakilo

Banned
Using the flashlight for outside. Currently have two from a about a year ago, one a 3 million candle (bigger than my wife wants to carry) and the other a 1 million candlle (both picked up at a box store, Vector is the brand name of light). Both are rechargable, but the 1 million candle is about done, and need to replace it. Probably will spend the 30 bucks or so on another 1 million candle light, but was wondering if anyone had a flashlight that they love?

Would like the light to cover a good 200 yards when I have the dogs outside in the fields at night.

Although I have a couple of Surefire's for some guns, don't feel like spending the money on something like a M3 or M6, plus your "run time" is limited.

Any suugestions?

Thks.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
We bought a Streamlight Lightbox last year, and so far, it is the best lantern type flashlight I have ever owned.

It's a little over $120, but it should last a lifetime. Both my cousin and best friend are firefighters, and they recommended this lantern.

litebox_enlarged.jpg

Mikeinpa

DaveNay said:
We bought a Streamlight Lightbox last year, and so far, it is the best lantern type flashlight I have ever owned.

It's a little over $120, but it should last a lifetime. Both my cousin and best friend are firefighters, and they recommended this lantern.
My boss bought us one of these for checking pole top switches at night. They are by far the best units I have ever used. We turned it on first thing one morning to see how long it would last. Ran all day!:a1:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:

Dave, thanks for the recommendation. I've got a Maglight that has never met the expectations I've had of it. I've also tried several L.E.D. flashlights and while I like the battery life, they just don't seem capable of projecting a focused beam more than 75' and even that is pretty marginal for their effectiveness. So I just ordered one of these LiteBox flashlights from Amazon.Com. They apparently have several versions of these LiteBox flashlights. 20 watt flood. 20 watt spot. 8 watt flood. 8 watt spot. There are also dual filament 8 watt flood and spot versions too.

I just ordered the 20 watt spotlight version with dual power cords and a mounting rack.
Streamlight LiteBox Standard rechargeable flashlight systemModels: Streamlight LiteBox Standard System (20-watt spot bulb) w/ 120V AC, 12V DC, shoulder strap & mounting rack - Yellow Model 45109 : $105.99

Attachments

• B000CDMZ12.01-A30DGGRQPDAP9Y._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V43804638_.jpg
    B000CDMZ12.01-A30DGGRQPDAP9Y._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V43804638_.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 119

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
I've got a Maglight that has never met the expectations I've had of it.

I'll second that. Maglight just doesn't live up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. I have a 3 million cp light I bought at Lowes last year for $50 or so and it's been really nice so far and goes a long way between charges. I don't know the brand off hand, but I wanted an extremely bright light light for long ranges. Now I seem to have lost the charger since the battery lasted so long...

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
Dave, thanks for the recommendation. I've got a Maglight that has never met the expectations I've had of it. I've also tried several L.E.D. flashlights and while I like the battery life, they just don't seem capable of projecting a focused beam more than 75' and even that is pretty marginal for their effectiveness. So I just ordered one of these LiteBox flashlights from Amazon.Com. They apparently have several versions of these LiteBox flashlights. 20 watt flood. 20 watt spot. 8 watt flood. 8 watt spot. There are also dual filament 8 watt flood and spot versions too.

I just ordered the 20 watt spotlight version with dual power cords and a mounting rack.
Streamlight LiteBox Standard rechargeable flashlight systemModels: Streamlight LiteBox Standard System (20-watt spot bulb) w/ 120V AC, 12V DC, shoulder strap & mounting rack - Yellow Model 45109 : $105.99

Bob, you bought the exact same package I did, and if the photo is from who you ordered it from (Optics Planet), then you also ordered it from the exact same vendor I did. :thumb:

humor_me

They got us all Streamlight Strions http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=3

for our tool bags. And while I like the Streamlights just fine they are way too fragile. One drop from waist height and the switch won't stay on for continuous use. Then, they warrantied it but took 12 weeks to get back! Then within a couple of hours use after it got back it leapt (do you think I'd admit dropping it?) from my tool bag and same thing all over again.

So Pelican gets my money these days. I've dropped their lights from 6'-12' heights on concrete and they still operate flawlessly.:thumb: :thumb:

I'm still making up my mind about a head lamp style light, though.

Bob, I've got a drawer full of old useless Maglights. Those were just a waste of money. That is unless you need a pretty good club.:clubem:

dzalphakilo

Banned
Hate to admit this, got a $9, one million candle light from Lowes, lifetime wrty, I'm holding on to that reciept and will make them regret selling me that light. So far works great and is light enough for the misses.

Forgot that I have a streamlight 3N that was given to me by a rep to replace my mini mag. LOVE it, however the rep lied to me, it will not last 100 hours non-stop without replacing the batteries (first thing I did was leave it on non-stop to see if he was lying, because thats EXACTLY what I would of done if I was selling them telling people about how long they last).

I forgot all about Pelican. Got one along time ago for underwater use, and was one of the best lights I EVER owned. I'll need to check them out as well.

Over $350 for an areator, $$$ for lime and fertilizer, perhaps an auger down the road, my wife will give me the "evil eye" if I spend $100 for a light right now, but that el cheapo works good so far!

humor_me

dzalphakilo said:
...my wife will give me the "evil eye" if I spend $100 for a light...

I agree with you about the $$ for the lights. Although the guys are right about those Streamlight Lite Boxes. They rock. All the local utility trucks and the firemen use them. I've seen them on all night and at the end of the night they are still producing good usable light.

dzalphakilo

Banned
humor_me said:
I agree with you about the $$ for the lights. Although the guys are right about those Streamlight Lite Boxes. They rock. All the local utility trucks and the firemen use them. I've seen them on all night and at the end of the night they are still producing good usable light.

No doubt.

Issue is the 10 million candle light or so light I still have works great and is the one I use at night. Wife wanted something smaller, and consdering we took on another dog, the light does not take priority on our spending. However, give me a couple of months :D

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I got my LiteBox yesterday. Its heavy, but I expected that! Nice light, rugged from everything I can tell. The plastic housing seems like it take take a lot of abuse (I did a couple test bangs against it).

The ergonomics are disappointing. There are really just a few things that you use on this flashlight. The on/off button, handle, and the knob to adjust the beam direction.
  1. The on/off button is rubber armored, tough, and positive. No problem there.
  2. The handle is good, its thick enough to feel good in your hand. Again no problem.
  3. But the little knob (shown in the last photo) is positioned badly & too small; it could not be used with gloves on the hand, and was hard to use without gloves.
So two out of 3 are OK, but that's only 66% and would earn it an "ergonomic grade" of "D" if it was given a grade in school.

Mine is the 20watt spot version. It came with 2 charger wires, one each for 12 volt and 120 AC. The wires can be plugged directly into the flashlight if desired. The flashlight can also be used with the included charger base. There is a socket on the side of the charger base where the charger cords can be inserted. The charger base locks the flashlight securely and the large release button (black bar at the bottom edge of the base) is easy to use. The charge base even came with 4 screws so it can be screwed onto a wall or mounted into a vehicle. There are also some LED status lights that show the battery status on the right side.

Attachments

• 165857167621_3300.jpg
    165857167621_3300.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 165857213573_3300.jpg
    165857213573_3300.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 165857267333_3300.jpg
    165857267333_3300.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 165857405445_3300.jpg
    165857405445_3300.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 82

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
So two out of 3 are OK, but that's only 66% and would earn it an "ergonomic grade" of "D" if it was given a grade in school.
I have never adjusted the tension on that knob. To adjust the head angle (if setting down the light), simply grab the entire head and tip it up or down. No problems even with big mittens (done it.).

If you need to adjust the angle of the beam while carrying the light, simply bend your elbow or wrist to tip the light up or down. :yum:

My single gripe is the charging base. I would have prefered a set of slide contacts (like a cell phone or GMRS radio) instead of the socket type connector.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DaveNay said:
My single gripe is the charging base. I would have prefered a set of slide contacts (like a cell phone or GMRS radio) instead of the socket type connector.
For use on a wall, which is where I will likely mount mine, then I will agree that a slide type would be easier than the socket type that needs a button depressed to release the flashlight . . . but I suspect that many of these charge bases are installed in trucks, ambulances, firetrucks, etc and there it probably makes more sense to have a positive lock base.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
dzalphakilo said:
Bob, you not only hijacked the thread, but also the product in question. This may be a first:D:moon:
Blame it on the painkillers. But I waited a respectable time period before doing it. Check the dates on the posts. Sort of like not dating your freind's ex-girlfriend for at least 30 days after they break up. By the way, do you know where I can find an auger? :rolleyes:

dzalphakilo

Banned
B_Skurka said:
Sort of like not dating your freind's ex-girlfriend for at least 30 days after they break up. By the way, do you know where I can find an auger? :rolleyes:

Bob, I'd never date a girl who had my buddies penis inside of her, unless if she was really hot and I didn't know that he did her OR I was REALLY drunk. Then I could just chalk it up as a fun mistake, however, thats just me :whistle: I never liked being the caboose, woo woo!

No clue where to get an auger, but if you know where you can rent a skid steer really cheap, let me know:thumb:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
DZ, for the record, I have no plans of putting any of my body parts into my new flashlight :tiphat:

dzalphakilo

Banned
B_Skurka said:
DZ, for the record, I have no plans of putting any of my body parts into my new flashlight :tiphat:

How do you know it won't be fun unless you try? Just becareful with that plastic, and don't assume it's all smoothe (besides that, from the pics, not sure where you would put anything).

On second thought the analogy about girlfriends was a bad one on my end. I can remember more than one time going into a gun shop with a buddy not wanting to buy anything, then seeing a gun in someone elses hands, then thinking "boy, I like the looks of that, what is it?"

dzalphakilo

Banned
Well, just ordered this unit in, will my wife be surprised!!!!

PF40 Helios Searchlight w/ Case

Model: PF40-HID-PEL$2,095.00

pixel_trans.gif
pel1450_polpf40.jpg
The Polarion PF40 - Helios 40-watt HID portable spotlight without Handle (straight-body) with Heavy-duty Polarion Case. PF40 searchlight now comes in professional quality factory case that is similar to a Pelican Case (version 1450 Pelican Case). Waterproof case with Pre-cut foam in the interior, offering secure transport and storage. Polarion did a really nice job on the case. The PF40 Helios is a serious tool for professionals who need serious high-quality and massive light output in a truly portable package. Pound for pound this is one of the most powerful and streamlined HID searchlights in its class. The Polarion PF40 draws it namesake from the power and intensity of the sun. This 40-watt powerhouse features a High Intensity Discharge (HID) arc lamp emits an incredible level of blinding white light ~ 4,000 lumens. It's all in a relatively small package. Approx 12" in length and just under 4 lbs.. The proprietary electronics, and Li-Ion rechargeable battery are housed in a CNC machined aerospace aluminum body with a Mil-Spec Type III hard anodized coating. You can expect extreme reliability as HID lamps are not easily subject to breakage/failure as a result of mechanical shock and vibration. HID lamps are energy efficient and have no filaments, therefore you can expect 2,500+ hours plus from the lamp. If you ever need to replace the lamp, it is user-replaceable.

PF40BatteryRechargeable Lithium Ion battery packBulb40 Watt High Intensity Discharge LampMaterialAerospace-Grade Aluminum Body and Bezel (6061 T6)FinishType III Black Hard AnodizedWeight
(with battery)4 pounds (approx.)Length12 inchesBezel Size3 3/8 inchesLamp Life2500+ hoursRun Time90+ minutes between chargesPower4000 lumens w/ High Efficiency ReflectorSpecial FeaturesFast Charging Time: 4 hours for full charge
Universal A/C Charger (90-240V) Included w/ purchase
Cartridge-Style Battery for easy swapping
Waterproof up to 165 feet
Locking magnetic switch
Center sectione easily palmed one-handed
Tailcap & Carrying Handle - High Impact Resistant Composite

elsmitro

floppy member
I really can’t believe you guys (anyone) would spend even close to 100 on a flashlight. There should be a “more money than sense” forum for you all. :yum:

Last edited:

dzalphakilo

Banned
Sometimes in life you really do get what you pay for, and yes, you can see the difference in quality and performance.

Then again, being from West Virginia and thinking Walmart is the state capital I can see your viewpoint.

Hey, I lived in a trailer in Bruceton Mills, pretty much the only one at the time, and I still have my "wild wonderful W.V" plate on my truck. I can crack W.V jokes :D.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
elsmitro said:
I really can’t believe you guys (anyone) would spend even close to 100 on a flashlight. There should be a “more money than sense” forum for you all. :yum:
Well there is certainly something to be said for this, so let me offer some bit of justificaiton.
  • I live well outside of town on a power grid that has history of failure
  • We've had power failures lasting 7+ days since I've lived here
  • Short power failures of 1 to 6 hours are common
  • I've spent at least $200 over the years on a series of crappy flashlights that did not last very long or under-performed and went dim after 20 or 40 minutes of use.
  • I've often needed a bright light that throws a long beam of light to seach for those strange noises we have out here in the country and most flashlights don't do that.
  • I'm tired of wasting money on lights that don't work well, don't last long enough, don't throw a bright enough beam.
So I've been thinking about getting ONE REALLY GOOD flashlight that would work in ALL the above situations. Somewhere in our archives here there is another flashlight thread that I started about LED flashlights, etc.

I could have gotten the slighthly less expensive Vulcan model, it doesn't run for the LiteBox's claimed 9 hours. But while I hope to never need 9 hours of light, its nice to have it. The Vulcan also doesn't have the adjustable/directional beam which I feel could be a handy feature. For the price difference, the Vulcan doesn't seem to be as good a deal.

I could have continued to buy other flashlights to try, but that may have just added to the total money I've wasted over the years.

Seems to me the Streamlight LiteBox will be a good power failure flashlight, it will be a good light for searching the woods at night as needed, it will stay lit longer than 3 or 4 other flashlights and be brighter than them during the duration. I won't need to worry if the battery is good as it will sit in its charger base ready or use. In essense, it looks like the LiteBox has the potential to save me money and frustration over the next decade with the possible additional expenses of replacing a battery or bulb every few years?

dzalphakilo

Banned
elsmitro said:
I really can’t believe you guys (anyone) would spend even close to 100 on a flashlight. There should be a “more money than sense” forum for you all.

I agree! Heck, saw those new tactical lights that mounts on your sidearm and thought they were a great idea. That is until I saw how much they wanted for them!

Got this system set up and save me about $190, good ol N.C chrome can't be beat!

Attachments

• Kimberwlight.JPG
    Kimberwlight.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

dzalphakilo

Banned
By the way, I sincerly hope you were congratulating Bob on purchasing his light and not thinking that I spent 2k on the light I posted about.

The pic idea (gun with flashlight) came from real life when I was in W.V. Needless to say, I never rode ATV's with that guy anymore after that fact, and how he made it past 20 I'll never know.

Last edited:

humor_me

dzalphakilo said:
I agree! Heck, saw those new tactical lights that mounts on your sidearm and thought they were a great idea. That is until I saw how much they wanted for them!

Got this system set up and save me about $190, good ol N.C chrome can't be beat!

N.C chrome:yum: :yum: :applause:
You guys are makin my ribs hurt:yum:

That looks like a "poacher special!"