• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Growing Pains......

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Forums Members & Participants:

A judgment call was made by one of the moderators today as to whether parts of a posts in a thread broke forum rules under the category of "baiting".

The questionable sections were removed by one moderator and subsequently replaced by another moderator.

All the moderators have read the content and through our own debate and discussion have not reached a consensus as to whether it the content was objectionable. This underscored the fact that we are all human and see the same words in differing light. However, as a group, we've all come to realize that we (the moderators) need to examine and change how we do things ourselves when a potential issues arise. Please remember, this forum is only 2 months old and we're all still experiencing a lot of things for the first time.

It is in no way our desire to remove any content that's been posted but as noted several times before, we want/need to maintain a degree of civility. We don't remove posts even when the request comes from the poster themselves, unless the post is of questionable content. Please think first and then post second. Once posted almost every time, the words will remain.

As a group, we're instuting a policy that any post that deemed to be questionable must be reviewed by 2 or more moderators and there need to concurrance on the issue before any action will be taken. There will be times when there are not 2 moderators available to make the determination, so in those cases, the thread or post(s) will be taken off line temporally to save all persons involved any embarrassment. Hopefully this will action will be kept to a minimum.

Unders certain circumstances a moderater might send a PM to the poster and discuss the matter on a one on one basis. In that circumstance, the moderator and poster if they agree on a resolution will make any changes to the post as they mutually agree to without involving the other moderators. No post will ever be edited by a moderator for content without first consulting with the poster. It is up to the individual moderator(s) to make the determination to discuss the matter first with the poster or not.

We suggest that before your post a questionable response to a post that you first open another window of www.forumsforums.com and go to the thread that you are responding to. Make sure that your response is proper after re-reading the original thread, with consideration being given to the persons involved. This extra time will give you space to see how your post will be received. This brief action will save a lot of people a lot of grief and words will not be posted in a state of anger, but a state of thoughtful reflection. It will also make our jobs as moderators a lot easier.

Thanks....

Doc, Junkman, bczoom & B_Skurka
Moderators...

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Make sure that your response is proper after re-reading the original thread, with consideration being given to the persons involved.

And also consider those who might read the thread that might not be American, or from the same religion as you

Good work Junk and other Mods, thanks

BoneheadNW

Mith said:
And also consider those who might read the thread that might not be American, or from the same religion as you

Good work Junk and other Mods, thanks
Mith, as they would say in New Orleans, "You be a heathen honey!"
Bone

OregonAlex

Junkman said:
Your wish is my command...... :D
You guys know how to laugh and have a good time.:applause:

no.. I actually meant right below my name. Like Bob's "Jerk in a Hawiian Shirt" title.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
At the present time we have it under control, however I will keep you in mind when we expand the number of moderators. Thanks and if we do ever become "tied", I will call upon you as a independent thinker.... :applause: :whistle:

BoneheadNW

Mith said:
Bone, as they say in the local pub, 'eh?'
I quote from the dictionary:
Heathen: a person who does not acknowledge your God
Mith-
I didn't mean it as an insult. I could never insult you, you know that. :notworthy
Bone

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
You gotta stop using all these long words, I thought heathen was some sort of plant?
I have pretty weird religious stuff (ideals?), so I wont confuse you, but some posters should remember that not all Muslims are maniacs for example

PS, life is too short to be insulted, offended, bored, working or not enjoying what you are doing, so dont worry about it, anyway, as you found out, most the time I dont know what youre talking about :D

BoneheadNW

Mith said:
You gotta stop using all these long words
The biggest word I know is hemorrhoid (I had to look it up to get the right spelling).
You know, its funny what you say about using long words. I find that the British tend to use longer words than us yanks. Don't you think?
Bonehead

OregonAlex

BoneheadNW said:
I find that the British tend to use longer words than us yanks. Don't you think?
Bonehead
Maybe that is why I have such a hard time spelling state names in New England. Maine, don't count!

then again, I have a hard time spelling most any word.

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Yea Bone, we use em but we sure dont know what they mean ;)
Nah really, I hate English with a passion, so it isnt really up to scratch, though it is kinda funny when people dont have a clue what I'm on about talking in my weird way :D I guess most normal Brits have a little better language than me :eek:

Oh, antidisestablishmentarism, long word, dont have a monkeys what it means though (PS, spelling is from memory, think its right :confused: )

Alex, thats only cause you chavved all our place names, came across a guy on TBN from Alton, New England, wonder if his house name is the same as mine too? ;)

Chief

I probably missed it as they were right in front of my face. Aside from when I registered I didn't see a link to the rule, if I missed it; my apologies. Anyhow, that having been said; I think for starters it would be a very wise and prudent idea to post a highly visible link to the website rules for ALL to read and review from time to time. Kinda like havin' the checklist & emergency procedures in the cockpit mandatory when in flight. If something goes wrong, it is real easy to miss a critical step in the excitement and confusion.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The basics can be found in the Original Junkman Forums at the top of the page. All the rest of the forums came later, so we didn't add the rules to each of them. It is high on my list of things to do after the first of the year.... right after I install my new cab, clean the garage, and locate the shirt button that I misplaces about 50 years ago..... :D

Chief

Junkman said:
The basics can be found in the Original Junkman Forums at the top of the page. All the rest of the forums came later, so we didn't add the rules to each of them. It is high on my list of things to do after the first of the year.... right after I install my new cab, clean the garage, and locate the shirt button that I misplaces about 50 years ago..... :D

Again, I probably missed it. Are you talking about this?

http://www.forumsforums.com/3_9/showthread.php?t=1&page=1&pp=40

Just wanted to be sure we are on the same sheet of music.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OregonAlex said:
how do I change my "title" from "Senior Member" to "Jerk in Sandals"?
OA,
ON the tool bar on the top of the forum pages, click on "User CP.
From there, on the left side click "Edit Profile"
The 2nd option in the main screen allows you to create a "Custom User Title".

Brian

OregonAlex

bczoom said:
OA,
ON the tool bar on the top of the forum pages, click on "User CP.
From there, on the left side click "Edit Profile"
The 2nd option in the main screen allows you to create a "Custom User Title".

Brian

Brian,

thanks for your response. Yeah, I gathered that was a how to do it from the FAQ link for this web site. However, I don't seem to have the option to create a "Custom User Title". Perhaps it is no longer enabled?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OA,

Don't know what options Doc has on or off.
I'll change it for you.

Brian

EDIT - I can't change it. Doc will have to.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll turn it on for you OA. For now I'm allowing custom member titles for anyone with over 200 posts. That will be changing, but for the 1st 200 members this is the rule.

Archdean

Doc said:
I'll turn it on for you OA. For now I'm allowing custom member titles for anyone with over 200 posts. That will be changing, but for the 1st 200 members this is the rule.

With out wanting to misundestood !! I request that you turn IT on for me also!!

Now please don't read anything into the above request that is not there, nothing risque intended!!;)

Dean

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Doc, Junkman, bczoom & B_Skurka
Moderators...

I would like to suggest that Doc be the tie breaker. I don't feel that someone who is not a deciding member should participate. This could really open up a whole new can of worms you weren't expecting. I am a moderating member in another forum and we have already experienced issues similar to this. The people in charge are the people in charge. Introducing others into the decision making process,who who have no greater status than anyone else, is equivilent to taking a poll. If putting things up for vote is what you want, then do it. Otherwise I suggest you offer a of position responsibility to another member so as to allow the decision making process to be fair.

I think I've said this correctly...

Respectfully submitted.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Cowboyjg said:
I would like to suggest that Doc be the tie breaker. I don't feel that someone who is not a deciding member should participate.

I really don't think you have to worry as Junkman and I are mostly messing with each other. I don't think the group as moderators right now reallly need any help unless someday this forum gets much bigger. So don't worry much.

;);)

murph

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Cowboyjg said:
I would like to suggest that Doc be the tie breaker. I don't feel that someone who is not a deciding member should participate. This could really open up a whole new can of worms you weren't expecting. I am a moderating member in another forum and we have already experienced issues similar to this. The people in charge are the people in charge. Introducing others into the decision making process,who who have no greater status than anyone else, is equivilent to taking a poll. If putting things up for vote is what you want, then do it. Otherwise I suggest you offer a of position responsibility to another member so as to allow the decision making process to be fair.

I think I've said this correctly...

Respectfully submitted.

Considering that thcri can't even tie his own shoes, you don't have to worry about him being a tie breaker. The only thing that he breaks on any regular basis is his toys. After you are around here for a while, you will learn who the serious and sincere people are and when we are just having fun poking each other in the eye with a sharp stick. Probably the best way for a new comer to know is to look at the number of posts and check the date of when the two members joined. That should clue you in quickly until you come up to speed.

As for IT being turned on, we established the 200 thread mark as the point where a member could change their title. Personally, I thing that we should keep that as the rule, so new members will quickly recognize who is a participant and who is a lurker. The final decision rests with Doc/Moon/Greg, and any other name that he cares to use, since I don't get involved with the trivial decisions. A good manager knows how to delegate. :whistle:

The only thing that I do request if Doc does turn IT on, is that if you, the figurative you, do change your title, that you send a PM notification to me, so there is no problem arising from your new title. I would hate to see that someone might decide to use a title that isn't proper, such as Super Moderator, Owner, Forum Nerd, etc, but not limited to these examples.

thanks Junk...