• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Stem Cell treatment reversed MS patient's disease

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My M-I-L suffered for 20 years with MS. So this story has a bit of a personal bit of interest to me and my wife. MS destroys lives. This treatment, which uses adult stem cells, is the first treatment ever to actually reverse MS. It was early stage MS, but this is amazing progress. The stem cells came from the patients own body, they were extracted from his marrow.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adult Stem Cells Successfully Reset Immune System for Multiple Sclerosis Patients[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]by Steven Ertelt[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
LifeNews.com Editor
January 29
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], 2009
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
stemcellpic9.jpg
Chiacgo, IL --
Adult stem cells continue to outpace their embryonic counterparts by successfully treating patients with a variety of diseases and conditions. Now, the use of adult stem cells from bone marrow has helped patients suffering from the early stages of multiple sclerosis.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A new study shows a research team appears to have reversed the neurological dysfunction of early-stage multiple sclerosis patients by transplanting their own immune stem cells into their bodies and thereby "resetting" their immune systems.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Dr. Robert Burt, the lead researcher on a team from Northwestern University conducted a study using hematopoietic, or blood-forming, stem cells extracted form a patient's bone marrow.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Three years after treatment, 17 of the 21 patients involved in the study saw improvement and none of the patients involved saw their MS conditions worsen during the follow-up time period.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "This is the first study to actually show reversal of disability," Burt an associate professor in the division of immunotherapy at Northwestern, said in the study published in the British medical journal Lancet. "Some people had complete disappearance of all symptoms."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"This is the first time we have turned the tide on this disease," Burt continued.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Edwin McClure, a 24-year-old graduate student at Virginia Commonwealth University is one of the patients treated in the study and he told Bloomburg News that he hasn't needed any drugs since the treatment.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] "It's a blessing," he said. "My disease has been halted."[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The adult stem cells appear to help patients better when given during the earliest onset of the disease. Burt and his team had given patients with more advanced MS the cells and saw no effect.[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I called it a failure," he said. "When you do it in late-stage patients, they don't improve." Burt is now putting together a larger study with more patients from the United States as well as Canada and Brazil.[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"If the results of today's study are borne out in the new one, I think we can really change the way this disease is approached," Burt said.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] The study will be published online January 30 and in the March issue of The Lancet Neurology.[/FONT]​

Ice Queen

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
It certainly would be wonderful if they could find a cure, or at least a way of halting one horrible disease, hopefully other cures for other diseases will also be found one day.

daedong

Bob I know you views so I thought this would be of interest to you also.
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,24998264-2,00.html

Breakthrough for Australian stem cell research

AAP
February 02, 2009 05:59pm
0,,6468657,00.jpg
Crippling illnesses ... the breakthrough means Australian scientists won't be reliant on cell lines from Japan and the US.

• New cell line made from adult skin cell
  • Acts like an embryonic stem cell
  • No longer reliant on US, Japan for cells

AUSTRALIAN scientists have made a stem cell breakthrough that promises to uncap research efforts while skirting around the contentious issue of needing human embryos.
A joint Victorian and NSW team has produced the nation's first human induced pluripotent stem (iPS) cell line - basically a cell that acts like an embryonic stem cell but instead was made from an adult skin cell.

The technique allows scientists to continue their work to better understand crippling illnesses such as Parkinson's Disease without the ethical problems raised by stem cells taken from human embryos that are later destroyed.

Dr Paul Verma, Program Leader for Stem Cell Biology at the Monash Institute of Medical Research, said Australian institutes had previously been reliant on importing iPS stem cell lines from the United States or Japan.

"Until now, in Australia we have relied on people to give us (iPS) cell lines to do any work ... we were at the mercy of whoever would give us cell lines," Dr Verma said.

Related Coverage

"This definitely gives us a way to produce a lot of cell lines ... and if you can get away from the ethics of it then why not?"

Stem cells are hailed as the new frontier in medical research and the treatment of disease, given their remarkable ability to develop into many different cell types in the body.

Future work in Australia includes creating iPS cells from an adult with Type 1 diabetes, with the results expected to provide new insights into how the illness progresses.

Similar work is also hoped to point to possible new treatments for conditions such as Alzheimer's disease, cancers, heart disease and spinal cord injury.

"If you take cells from a patient with Parkinson's and then you induce them to form iPS cells ... in the lab you can differentiate them to form the nerves that get degenerated in the patient," Dr Verma said.

"So you can see where the problems arise, and then you can go in and see whether you can treat to prevent that. It's a really powerful tool."

The NSW and Victorian Governments contributed $455,000 to the $1 million project, with the remainder coming from Sydney IVF Limited and the Australian Stem Cell Centre.

The project will also go on to do comparative work to assess the different stem cell processes - embryonic, iPS and a third called somatic cell nuclear transfer.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Vin, I had not seen that article. It is just another case that shows that there is an ethical form of stem cell research. Sadly our mainstream media here often reports about stem cell research in a very deceptive manner. Each time a major breakthrough is found (and historically that has occurred with ethical adult stem cells) it is heralded by the media and they then go on to interview advocates of fetal stem cell research explaining how important it is that the practice of creating human life only to extract cells and destroy it is needed. Yet none of that argument has anything to do with the discovery or breakthrough because, as of yet, the only actual treatments ever devised from stem cell research have come from ethical adult stem cell research.

CityGirl

Silver Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I never understand the continued push for embrionic stem cells. The placenta is a great source for embrionic stem cells and one accompanies every live birth.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I never understand the continued push for embrionic stem cells. The placenta is a great source for embrionic stem cells and one accompanies every live birth.

I believe it is very simple, it is the POLITICAL step that the abortion-on-demand crowd needs to remain legal and to expand if they want to further expand their cause. To dehumanize fetal cells is needed so that all the culture of death actions can move forward.