• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Photos of Thiokol track jack..

Thebartman

Could someone please post photos of a Thiokol Imp track jack? I have never seen one. I should have one or make something to work.

hansoni

I've been using two 8" 3/8" threaded rods going though the tire guides with washers and stop nuts on one end and tightening with a pneumatic ratchet on the other right at the space between the front idler and the first boogie.

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
This is the track jack that came with my 1402 Imp. I have drop center grousers. I'm not even sure if it is the one for my cat. It doesn't work very well. I usually use a couple of ratcheting tie down straps and 2 8" harbor freight c clamps. When removing or installing I position the joint at the rear midway around the sprocket with the cat on the ground.

Attachments

• DSCF1558.jpg
    DSCF1558.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF1559.jpg
    DSCF1559.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 438

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
This is how I take the track on and off.
To take it off, I jack up the cat, position the lacing mid way on the rear of the sprocket, (after letting the air out of the idler) then squeeze the grousers together with my handy dandy Harbor Freight 8" c clamps, pull the pins and let er rip.

To put it on, with the cat jacked up, I position the track so it will be in the same position as when I took it off, lower the sprocket onto it, (in gear, clutch engaged so the sprocket won't turn) and pull the top of the track onto the top of the bogies. I then use a small chain type come along (Harbor Freight) to pull the track enough to get it into the proper teeth on the sprocket then squeeze it with the c clamps till the pins will slide in.

I just did it today. I had the tracks off to weld new wear plates on the grousers.

I have only ever done this in the shop. God help me if I ever have to do it in 2 feet of snow.

Attachments

• DSCF1561.jpg
    DSCF1561.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 473
  • DSCF1560.jpg
    DSCF1560.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 468

cloudcap

GOLD Site Supporter
Here's the track jacks that came w/ my 1404 (courtesy of Bill Guthrie) w/ drop-center grousers. I've tried to use them two or three different times and found that they don't work very well for me. I'm using an overlap splice to join my tracks and the jacks don't have a long enough reach to span the gap. Instead, I've found that ratchet straps are faster, easier, and more effective. I don't have it worked out quite as well as Turbinator, but I'm able to bumble my way through it w/ only a modicum of muttering and lost skin.

Ron

DSCN6457.jpg
DSCN6458.jpg

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Now I finally know what drop center jacks are supposed to look like.
I have no idea what my track jack is for.
Thanks Cloudcap.

Bartman, does your cat have drop center grousers or the wider winter tracks with the smaller sprocket?

Last edited:

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
More pictures of track installation.

Attachments

• DSCF1562.jpg
    DSCF1562.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 404
  • DSCF1563.jpg
    DSCF1563.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 421

PJL

This is the jack for the 1988 LMC 1200. I have 2 of them. I was told they were the factory made units.

Attachments

• IMG_3801.jpg
    IMG_3801.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_3802.jpg
    IMG_3802.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_3803.jpg
    IMG_3803.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_3804.jpg
    IMG_3804.jpg