• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Jeep Pick Up looks likes its being road tested

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Always thought that if I bought a pick up truck it would be something like a Jeep BRUTE conversion or, if Jeep actually produced on, a real Jeep Pick Up. Looks like it may be possible that Jeep may roll out their long rumored pick-ip version of a Wrangler sooner rather than later.

LINK => http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2017/04/28/jeep-wrangler-pickup-crawling-closer-to-production.html

The first new Jeep pickup in over a quarter-century is still a about year away from showrooms, but what appears to be a production ready prototype is already on the road.

The camouflaged Wrangler-based truck caught by a spy photographer at an undisclosed location looks much different than an earlier effort spotted last year.

Instead of the bed from a Ram 1500 jury rigged to the back of it, the new truck has a perfectly-integrated one with classic Wrangler wheel arches bulging through its black polyester wrap. The bed sides meet the vertical roof pillars at a crisp 90 degree angle for a classic pickup profile, and a full width rear window fills the space between them.

What’s not known is if that roof is removable in some fashion, or if the windshield can be folded down like on other Wranglers. But there are holes in the hood wrap where rubber bumpers to rest the windshield on usually are.

Based on its wheels and stance, this particular truck could be a Wrangler Rubicon-derived model, suggesting that the pickup will offer the same sort of hardcore off-road capabilities as the standard Wrangler, which is expected to go on sale late this year.

The pickup will follow as a 2019 model, and should be available with a choice of engines that include a four-cylinder turbo, four-cylinder diesel and an updated version of the current 3.6-liter V6 . . .

2 photos below. One clearly shows rear fender flares while the other shows a version without flared rear fenders. The NON-flared version is an older 'spy photo' while the one WITH fender flares is the newest 'spy photo' of what appears to be a compact pick up.

Attachments

• 1469038372174.jpg
    1469038372174.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 127
  • 1493322311460.jpg
    1493322311460.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 125

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'd like to see the price when they roll it out.

When I was looking for a vehicle to tow behind the RV, I looked at Jeep Wranglers priced all the way up to a MSRP of $80K. They sure are proud of those suckers.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If it has a strong enough towing capacity it may be worth a look when it comes out.
I doubt it will have a particularly good tow vehicle. The current Wrangler not a heavy hauler. This won't be either. Just look at the likely engines. I'd guess roughly 4500# of towing capacity. Anyway you cut it, this is just a Wrangler with a cargo box. No reason to expect it to haul 7000# or more like bigger trucks.

I'd like to see the price when they roll it out.

When I was looking for a vehicle to tow behind the RV, I looked at Jeep Wranglers priced all the way up to a MSRP of $80K. They sure are proud of those suckers.
I had heard, a while back, entry level $45,000. Option it up and it could be just about anything. Wranglers run the gamut from basic to luxury to rock crawlers to river crossing submarines ... and prices fluctuate wildly based on capabilities.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm not optimistic they will cut the mustard. Trucks today are built to ride like cars with all the comforts of home. I've owned a few Jeeps in my day, but that was back when they were real Jeeps, not the grocery getters of today.

My Dad's 1961 Willy's Overland Wagon. Now that was a 4x4. Bar none.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not optimistic they will cut the mustard. Trucks today are built to ride like cars with all the comforts of home. I've owned a few Jeeps in my day, but that was back when they were real Jeeps, not the grocery getters of today.

My Dad's 1961 Willy's Overland Wagon. Now that was a 4x4. Bar none.

I know at least one guy who would agree with you. He spends a large part of every summer driving his Jeep over and across mountains and desserts ... for fun!!! He recently bought a new one and spent a small fortune converting it back into what he called a "real Jeep".

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I know at least one guy who would agree with you. He spends a large part of every summer driving his Jeep over and across mountains and desserts ... for fun!!! He recently bought a new one and spent a small fortune converting it back into what he called a "real Jeep".

Exactly. Solid axles on both ends with lockers. You want to move off road, then drive something that can take it. 4 wheel indie suspension with maybe posi is OK for the grocery getters and the wannabees but is not going to last for the die hards.

The last company I worked for before retiring had a couple of old jeep pickups from the 70's refurbed more times then I can remember. These would climb the power line right of ways and take quite a bit of abuse as normal usage. I shudder to see what one of the new Cherokees would look like after a few days in the rough. :biggrin:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I still use my 76 cj5 it will travel where quads cant go. I have to admit its time for a new body but like a timex watch it keeps on ticken