• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Suggestions for a home safe

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
The Cypress Banking problem thread lead off to a discussion about where to keep your valuables if you don't want to keep them in a bank. A home safe is a good option, but what is the safest type of safe?

Given that any safe can be broken into or stolen. I would guess the goal is to make it very hard for anyone to break into your safe so that they go elsewhere to steal.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good home safe, and the best way to camouflage it so that it is still readily accessible but not so easy for the crooks to find. Or would I be just as well off with a big ole heavy gun safe bolted down to the floor?

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Go with the gun safe. Most thieves won't even mess with them. They can't break in to them and they are too heavy to move easily. That's what we use. There is a side benefit. You can buy more guns to weigh them down even more or at least that's what I tell my wife. Those guns aren't guns, they're ballast. :yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I'd recommend a highly visible or easy to find safe that is full of not really valuable stuff.

Then stash a really good safe somewhere that is not easy to find.

The average dumb thief will stop at the first easily found safe. Most thieves won't have time or the brains to do a thorough search.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
One of the best places to stash things is a small fireproof safe that gets hidden behind an access panel for a tub or shower. Thieves don't think to look in bathrooms for goodies. Keep the litter box in front of it and it works even better.:whistling:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It really depends on risks and what convenience you need.
High crime area and for what are youuntilizing the safe .

For simple security, a gun safe is a good idea and handy to use. You can assemble it in aplace that is hard to extract from onece built, say inside a closet. But access is easy for you.

Then get a smaller heavy un-impregnable one and bury it in the basement floor under something. A carpet, furniture, or a false closet floor. Hard to get to yet secure for the small stuff like Gold coins and jewelry.

Just remember, most advice here on the Forum is free,,,,,and worth every penny

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep Franc .... I know.

Dawg, did you go with the manual combination one or the digital version and why? Looks nice for sure. :thumb:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep Franc .... I know.

Dawg, did you go with the manual combination one or the digital version and why? Looks nice for sure. :thumb:

My amsec is manual, my Bighorn in digital ............. I went with the digital because it was in the store and it was a deal I couldn't pass. I've had no issues.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
From the little I know about them, seems digital would be more secure. No tumblers / moving parts to whiz bang your way in. Guessing a six digit number might be more of a challenge. Thieves would not know how many digits were needed for sure, making it even harder.

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I agree with Frank get a heavy gun safe. Once loaded up with stuff they are really heavy to move. My isn't bolted to the floor. When my house was burglarized I could see that they had tried to move it but it was only scooted a couple inches.
It took a friend of mine & I both to move it in with a handtruck. We are both ex-warehouse workers and knew what we were doing. I doubt if the average burglar could move it & it's not a really big safe.
Mine is made by American Security Products.:

http://www.amsecusa.com/home/

Of course nothing will stop a pro. safe cracker & I suppose someone could torch it given enough time. You might want to bolt it to the floor. I've been thinking about bolting mine down just to be on the safe (pun) side.

ki0ho

GOLD Site Supporter
It really depends on risks and what convenience you need.
High crime area and for what are youuntilizing the safe .

For simple security, a gun safe is a good idea and handy to use. You can assemble it in aplace that is hard to extract from onece built, say inside a closet. But access is easy for you.

Then get a smaller heavy un-impregnable one and bury it in the basement floor under something. A carpet, furniture, or a false closet floor. Hard to get to yet secure for the small stuff like Gold coins and jewelry.

Just remember, most advice here on the Forum is free,,,,,and worth every penny

AND free for many folks to see!!!!!!!:shifty: