• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Snow Trac Engine ID

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
57', thru 60' have an 1192 CC "36 HP" industrial. Not worthy of rebuilding.

60' Thru 65, or 66, Should have a 40 HP, Industrial also 1192 CC. This motor only produced 35 Horsepower. Also not a very good candidate for rebuilding.

For about a year there were 1300 CC motors, Industrial, that produces 50 HP. This is a very good engine and can be fitted with 1500 or 1600 Cylinders and Pistons. That should be around 67, but both AKTIC & Westerasmachiner, the 2 manufacturers of Snow Trac, tended to install the previous years engine in the machines.

After about 67 or 68 all the machines had 1600 industrials, with the exception of a few special order machines that had Porsche Industrial 1600 CC Motors that produced 60 or 75 HP. All of the VW industrials used in Snow Trac's have an Engine serial Number that starts with 116 or 126. This is not covered in John Muir's "Idiot Book". If your engine has a letter before the numbers it is a VW Car Motor, not original equipment, and CAN be identified by the Engine identification chart in the "Idiot Book". You need to go by the serial number on the block, right below the pedistal that supports the generator, which is also where you put oil in. Since the Fan Housing is removable you can't go by the tag there. If the number on the fan housing doesn't match the one on the block the engines not original.

There were 1500 CC Industrial's in some machines, but VW never Manufactured a 1400 CC engine, in Bug, Bus or Industrial.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lyndon, great run down of the engines.

By the way, for anyone interested in the book Lyndon referred to, here is a link to it on Amazon.com. It can also be found at most major bookstores. I've gotten a copy and found it invaluable. I'm not an engine guy but this book is clear enough for me to understand.

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-Step/dp/1566913101

By the way, we know there were a few Porsche powered Snow Tracs.
Any idea when those were produced?
Any idea how many were produced?

SnowTrac Hunter

Lyndon, my engine serial# starts with 122. What does that correspond to ? Is that an engine size that can be worked with, or is it to small?

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
It's the number off the 36 HP Industrial. Usually not a good candidate for rebuilding. VW didn't even recomend it. The crank journals gert warped out of shape, and the block isn't strong enough. Your better off with a standard 1600 BUG motor. It will generate 56 HP, yet still bolt in. Parts are easier to come by for the later motor.