• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

tucker 1983 160hrs

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
160 hrs. on the meter though. That's only 5 hrs. a year!

I was thinking the same. At 160 hrs., you would think some one would remember when they put that new hour meter in....:whistling:

Something is not right here. Not to mention the 555 Cummins is out dated and hard to find some parts for... Kind of a dead horse..

Regards, Kirk

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
long tracks with blade ,roller for $13000
that doesn't seem like a bad price.
I don't know what the $ exchange would be.

teamster

I contacted the seller and then the mechanic who has been maintaining it for the last 12 years. The machine is owned by a snowmobile club who bought it in mid 90's from another snowmobile club. It has been used to groom 20 miles of logging road since mid 90's. They get 8 > 15' of snow annually, as much as 5' at a time. They put a Detroit mechanical locker in the rear diff because of a stretch of road they couldn't climb when they got 4' of snow at one shot. The 160 hour meter reading is a mistake, meter reading unknown. The motor doesn't run on all cylinders until it warms up, then it runs smooth but smokes. Starts well in cold weather. They replaced the injectors but still runs and smokes the same. The rear bolster work was required because they kept walking out of drive shafts. The sprockets were replaced 5 years ago and the belts were changed to 2 wide strips of conveyor belt at the same time because they kept tearing the 4 belt original design on the front end. The trunions are worn but usable according to the mechanic. I've asked for more pictures showing the blade and frame. They bought a Perkins powered, hydrostatic Bombardier to replace it because they say the Tucker is not maneuverable to get into the higher alpine. I have this dream of finding a 1600 series, automatic Tucker and building my own body and installing a 5.9 12 valve Cummins. Not sure if this is the machine as it's been a workhorse all its life. I have no use for the groomer or even the blade. But I do like the 2 belts and the locker.

if that's in 100 Mile House, BC, something to remember is the Canadian Dollar is worth about 80 cents US, so maybe a good buy for a US Tucker lover

The Sweet Wbj1

At this point if that thing was in the US, I'd buy it, keep the blade and resell it.

So Teamster, if you end up getting it, I'll buy all the blade components from you!

teamster

I'm still on the road home from looking at this Tucker. I made a deal on the Tucker and I'll be going back to pick it up before the end of the month. The Maxey drag can be bought from the seller for $3000 and I could haul it to Alberta if it helps anyone. I found a wide track ST4 on the way there, seller has a very high price in my mind. I'll post pictures of it later on separate post.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
The good news is that that 555 Cummins has a standard SAE bellhousing, and to switch engines would not require any adaptor plate to match things up. Makes life much easier if you repower it..

Good luck and post up some pictures!

BTW how much is to much for an ST4? Nothing against Tuckers but an ST4 will absolutely leave one behind in a fog of snow dust.. been there, done that.. Not to mention how many hundreds of Tuckers are out there vrs the number of Snow Trac's as well..

Regards, Kirk

teamster

The Tucker was very well maintained, kind of ugly, paint etc. No cracks or welding done. Blade in good shape. The year is 1981 not 1983. Hour meter reads 3800 and works. The motor is not a Triple Nickel, because it's a V6 which I believe is a VT 378. It's turbo charged and governed to 3200 RPM. Pretty fast for any diesel I'm familar with. I shall research more once I'm back home.

teamster

I paid him $8500, Canadian, for the Tucker, which I believe is about $6800 US. ( Canadian dollar is only about .80cents US) I never bought the drag, it's still there for sale. He wants $3000.00 Canadian for it. I was told the Tucker had a 555 Cummins in it but when I saw it had a turbo charged V6 Cummins not a V8, so its a VT378. It runs, it smokes a little and it blows compression out the dirt discharge of the air cleaner at an idle, so I think it could use some valve work or at least as valve adjustment. I'. not disappointed about it not having the triple nickel, the V6 should weight about 1700 lbs instead of 2300. I never took any pictures when I was there but I post some when I go to get it.

The Sweet Wbj1

Congrats man!! If you decide to get rid of that blade let me know!! Not sure what it would cost to get something like that shipped to Colorado but I am definitely interested!

It doesn't look like that machine has the brace from the front axle to the frame that I have seen on other machines with blades? Maybe I am just not seeing it. EDIT: never mind, just saw it.

Last edited:

teamster

I made it back from picking up the Tucker. I'm very happy with what I got. The machine has been very well maintained, other than I don't know if they could have gotten the tracks any tighter, I asked if they had any spare parts and service records. I got 2 new idler wheels, 2 idler shafts, assorted new bearings, seals, belt lacing, differential parts and a manual with all the info plus all part numbers from jobbers for bearings, seals and ujoints. I attached pictures of the dozer and the engine for those that are interested. The engine is a VT 378 6 cyl Cummins with a 545 Allison automatic. My plan is to clean up the old girl, paint it and install a exhaust stack and keep it as a work horse. The machine was even full of fuel and it weights 11500 pounds. The dozer is 10 ft wide so I phoned the BC government for a over width permit. It cost me $180 because they nailed me for a non resident trip permit as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_0972.jpg
    IMG_0972.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0973.jpg
    IMG_0973.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0976.jpg
    IMG_0976.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0966.jpg
    IMG_0966.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 326
pictures look good - are you sure your rig is big enough to haul the Tucker safely? - lol - are you selling the dozer blade?

teamster

I'm going to keep the blade with the machine, sorry guys. I'm going to make it quick detach from the front axle forward.