• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Who got the Freighter?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
more tucker history has been found, this time it has a great NW connection, Timberline lodge, MT Hood, Oregon, to be exact, they bought several Tuckers starting in 1948 right through the late 60's, and all of the Tuckers, somehow found their way into advertising and on magazine covers, shameless promotion of the Tucker Sno-cat.

so, a 1955 Tucker Sno-cat model 443 has found it's way to tuckerville and the minion is happy.:wink::wink::wink: Amazingly, the machine is complete and very restorable, as soon as, a couple other restorations are completed, this is the next one to be restored.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 378
  • DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 377

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
ski magazine cover from the late 50's of the timberline tucker on mt hood oregon

Attachments

• timberline script.jpg
    timberline script.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 379

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmm, I thought the 'Woody' cat referb from last winter was the one from this photo? But I'm pretty small minded and wasn't thinking about how many different machines have been run & down that mountain!

(I see my baby (to the right) is still waiting on her new clothes . . . :brows::whistling::wink: But it does look like a little work is being done on her:flowers: )

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Question for Tuckerville?

My understanding is the flanged bearings on the steel track equipped Tuckers are no longer available new, and NOS ones can't be had either. With almost 250 of those on one Tucker, and the machines being fifty years old (plus or minus) some bearings have got to be unserviceable.

How are you (and others) dealing with the inevitable number of bad bearings?

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
yup,

over the years, several different attempts have been made at making new steel rollers and plastic ones,

with one tucker i bought, i got a set of new metal rollers in kit form, looked pretty good, but expensive to make and assemble, the prices have ranged from low end of $40.00 ( chinese made ) to $!25.00 excellent high end/ done correctly,

seen the plastic rollers, that Bill G. @ sno trans made many years ago, on a couple of tuckers, they seemed to have worked okay when only replacing only a few rollers on a pontoon, way less expensive to replace, also seen what a few others have made out of UMHW, they did not hold up very well at all

we, at tuckerville, also are trying to see what can be done to solve this issue for reasonable money, at 248 rollers per standard 443 machine, that turns into some serious money very quickly

you should ask the guy formerly known as boggie, he may have an source and or answers/opinions

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
PP, thanks for the reply.

My query is really out of intellectual curiousity. I don't have a steel tracked machine, but I know the flanged bearings are a problem and I was wondering how the (lack of) supply issue was being dealt with.

I recall a conversation several years ago with Bill Cook (of Cook's Equipment) and he had said the last ones he bought were $48.00 each - and they were long gone.

248 rollers times $125 = cost prohibitive in my book. Even at $40 each That's still $10K. Granted it's doubtful you'd have to replace all at once, but the numbers add up fast, unfortunately.

I think having a source of relatively priced bearings would give new life to some older machines.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
A no grease low friction low wear roller? Sounds like a Tucker fairy tale!

If only dreams came true. There also should be an app for that hooked to a 3D printer.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
isn't the track conversion a option or isn't it practical?
I think on of the older tuckers with new style tracks would make a nice machine.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
now now now, rubber track man, here in tuckerville, the Mayor, Jack Tucker, has decreed, that, we all worship at the pontoon alter, now, rubber track man, pray to all that is orange, long live Tucker Sno-Cat

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I really liked the serria rubber conversion finding those in good condition is hard but they look cool and have a ton of surface area.

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
I've been working with a local machinist on replacement rollers that have sealed bearings I have a few trips on them with great results

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 451

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
i have seen this set up and found that the sealed bearing being pressed into the flange tended to become lose, so, you being very smart and talented, what did you do to keep this from happening, and are you hardening the roller? this is great to see what you have done, excellent. will be very impressed if you can bring the cost in under $60.00 each

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
They are a hardend steel he has been researching bearings for this application for a few years so far so good and the non greasable feature is nice. No price yet

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
excellent on the hardened steel,
excellent on the sealed bearing, no grease required,
the next issue, and testing will be needed to see if the the pressed in sealed bearing does not work lose in the flanged wheel, there is a lot of forces at work on the roller, i have serval different rollers with this design, made by different folks, and they are suffered from the same problem.

how wide of a sealed bearing are you using? are you putting 2 narrower sealed bearings instead of one?

we at tuckerville having been doing a fair amount of research and testing to resolve the replacement roller issue, seems anyone can built a roller, life cycle is the real stumbling block, and then consider the cost versus life cycle.

like you what you are doing. good job

Last edited:

j farm

GOLD Site Supporter
This design uses 2 sealed bearings the side loading of the bearing seems to be what would make them work loose so far this design has been holding tight.