• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Propane

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Had no idea where to put this but I guess it could fall under campers/camping...

What are people paying for filling 20# or 100# propane tanks?

Also, was the legislation about refilling old 20# tanks removed? I heard there was a fight to allow them to remain in circulation.

I just had a #100 dropped off. He took 4 of my #20 tanks off to be filled, 2 of which dated back to 1982.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
A local station is charging $10 for a 20# cylinder. I know the owner and we both use the same supplier. He has a contract with the supplier for the next 6 months for $1.35 per gallon. A 20# cylinder holds 4 gallons, so he feels that it is best to keep the price down to keep the volume up. I have a 26 cent premium over the Selkirk price on the last day of the month for my usage. Last time I checked I was paying about the same or a few pennies less. Come the cold of winter I will be paying more than him, but next spring I will again be paying less. It will average out for both of us I am certain.
I was told that there is a exemption for the old tanks if they are used on machinery such as paver's, etc. I haven't heard anything about them allowing them for homeowner use. I have been exchanging them at Wally World for the new design valve. They don't even ask any longer if it needs to have an updated valve. I would think that the refill company just takes them all and does the upgrade for a large customer like Walmart without charge.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Legislation is still there. Most companies don't ask much anymore because they think they got them all. The law states you can't refill any tank without the new valve and unless you know the guy running the LP truck himself most companies won't refill them. In fact most places don't fill them anymore on site. Usually taken to another place and refilled there.

murph